Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Navteq update

Views : 6672

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 20:55   #21
XCSldr

Default Why does the Satnav upgrade take over 4hrs?

First of all I prefer the Volvo Satnav to the Audi, BMW and Jaguar/Land Rover options; on screen clarity - I prefer the 2D Mode and use it as a map; also I prefer the steering wheel control option - being able to zoom in and out of the map.

However, having received the update disks 7 months after collecting the car I was initially impressed, but the 4 hours 25 minutes it took to install was a real pain.

In summary I still prefer the Volvo's Satnav system and it is swaying me to stick with Volvo when I am due to replace my car later this year; but, I will probably not use the next set of update disks!

So - Volvo Why does it take so long?
XCSldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 22:44   #22
John Pearce
On second XC60

Angry XC60mNavteq SATNAV update problems!

Hope you get on better than me...
1. Was appalled to find it takes 5 hours to load updated SATNAV.
2. The instructions suggest keep engine running
3. checked with Marshall Volvo Nottingham ans they said put it on "trickle charge"
4. Put it on charge and inserted all 4 CDs over a 5 hour period
5. the installation messgaes were not logical but all showed "software installed"
6. But no NAV system at all at end... just message "Starting Navigation System" but it didn't.
7. Tried switching on and off and re-inserting discs
8. No joy.
9. Now 6 hours later and I'm in right Olympic rage...
10. Off to bed and see what tomorrow brings....

Grr.... love the car - best I've had but this is madness
John Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 21:15   #23
John Pearce
On second XC60

Unhappy MAPCARE - NAVTEQ 4CD are pathetic

I have waited an hour before posting this - in an attempt to calm down... So let me try and be reasonable..
1. I absolutely love my XC60 - best car by far.
2. Marshall's of Nottingham are excellent and I've told them so.
3. I registered a problem with my 1st set of MAPCARE updates from NAVTEQ in July.... after that one of the FOUR! CDs split and the install aborted (after four hours of trying).
4. NAVTEQ guy was most unhelpful - "We just supply the maps, we don't cover the CDs.... my advice is to wait for next update...it will be witrh you in September"
5. Spoke to Marshall's who reluctantly agreed with this.
6.Updates came November - yippee.
7. Just spent 3 hours trying to load the CDs and they "seemed to be working" and showed time reducing but after 3 inserts of CD 1 got the error message - System failed...start again....waited the obligatory 10 minutes but snmae message - "System failed"....

I am now very angry - a £40K car and I have to spend up to 5 hours loading 4 CDs? I feel like a complete mug. Am I unreasonable? Why can't Volvo sort this problem? It is not even approaching the quality anyone would expect of a modern car company like Volvo. What can I do? Any suggestions?

And don't dare anyone say buy a TOMTOM! That was the very best gadget I ever bought - worked brilliantly, straight from the box and NEVER went wrong.. My son still has it working.... an ME with a supercar fiddling with a bl**dy AA map and compass on the pasaenger seat, on the motorway! I don;t believe it! (Get the reference? yes - one foot in the grave - and I promise you the other foot is in the NAVTEQ man's test...area...

Seriously, who can help? Could the SATNAV update be part of the service?
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 22:02   #24
jimbg
Master Member

A couple of questions:

1) What year is your car, presumably it is a Sensus" car?

2) Did you have the car software updated before you started the first map update?

3) When you started the latest install, did you have a working nav system?

Sorry to hear you are having all these problems and can understand how frustrated you must be!
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:26   #25
woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pearce View Post
Hope you get on better than me...
1. Was appalled to find it takes 5 hours to load updated SATNAV.
2. The instructions suggest keep engine running
3. checked with Marshall Volvo Nottingham ans they said put it on "trickle charge"
4. Put it on charge and inserted all 4 CDs over a 5 hour period
5. the installation messgaes were not logical but all showed "software installed"
6. But no NAV system at all at end... just message "Starting Navigation System" but it didn't.
7. Tried switching on and off and re-inserting discs
8. No joy.
9. Now 6 hours later and I'm in right Olympic rage...
10. Off to bed and see what tomorrow brings....

Grr.... love the car - best I've had but this is madness

I have no idea why people are having a such problems with a such simple task.

Everything is clearly written step by step. Just read instruction and start upgrading.
When you insert first disc you have messages on the screen and just follow them. That is all.

I did my upgrade twice and I didn't have any problems.
There is no need to do the map upgrade in one day and wait 6 hours for finish all discs and it is possible to do this without the runing engine but why to discharge the battery? It depends on you how you do this, but you have to comply with some rules.

There is a few points you have to remember:
1. If your car was manufactured before November 2010 (2010w46), the navigation system will need a software upgrade before you install the latest maps. This is a quick and simple process for which you would need to contact your local Volvo dealer.
2. Installation can take up to five hours and needs to be executed while the infotainment system is running. The vehicle battery can be protected by using a battery charger or keep the vehicle engine running. If the infotainment system is switched off, installation pauses and resumes automatically once it is restarted.
3. Before starting the map update installation, disconnect any devices from the USB ports on the infotainment system (for example, mobile phone chargers or USB memory sticks).
4. Insert the discs in numerical order, remembering to turn off the vehicle engine for 15 minutes after each disc has loaded! Each disc must finish loading completely before continuing with the next one.
5. Once the update is finished the vehicle should be turned off for a minimum of 10 minutes to activate the changes and resume full functionality.

I am using my car as usually with update running in background and waiting for message that loading one disc is finished and I need to insert the next disc.
Even if you are driving for a short disctances it is not a problem for upgrading. It restarts every time you start the engine and PAUSE when the engin is switched off.
Previously there wasn't any restriction about break after each disc loading, but now you have to wait minimum 15 min after each disk is loaded.
I don't need to remember about this because I always insert a new disc the next day in my way to work.
I don't need to hurry with map update, because I new my daily way to work and I don't need to use the navigation every day. Usually it takes me 4 days to finish loading all discs.
During the map update you can see the progress bar with remaining time. You can press EXIT to close this screen and use Infotainment system as usually, but not navigation. Progress bar wll apear every time you start the engin and restart the map upgrading. When installation disc finish loading, you will get a message.

More important during the upgrade is to be patient and let the system do his work remembering that sometimes it takes a time to read the disc.
woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:15   #26
John Pearce
On second XC60

Thanks JimBG! You asked

1) What year is your car, presumably it is a Sensus" car? (2011 yes a sensus car)
2) Did you have the car software updated before you started the first map update? (No, it was new)
3) When you started the latest install, did you have a working nav system? (yes, all was fine)

Sorry to hear you are having all these problems and can understand how frustrated you must be! (Thanks and yes but see good news further below)
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:24   #27
John Pearce
On second XC60

Wink Missed point....

Hi Woofer - a few comments from me in brackets after yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
I have no idea why people are having a such problems with a such simple task (My point is that 4 hours and 4DVDs is not simple and it certainly has not been simple for me - an experienced designer and user of complicated software)

Everything is clearly written step by step. Just read instruction and start upgrading. (I know - I did)
When you insert first disc you have messages on the screen and just follow them. That is all. (But only all if it works)

I did my upgrade twice and I didn't have any problems. (Good for you - I'm pleased - this is not sarcastic)

There is no need to do the map upgrade in one day and wait 6 hours for finish all discs and it is possible to do this without the running engine but why to discharge the battery? It depends on you how you do this, but you have to comply with some rules.

There is a few points you have to remember:
1. If your car was manufactured before November 2010 (2010w46), the navigation system will need a software upgrade before you install the latest maps. This is a quick and simple process for which you would need to contact your local Volvo dealer. (not needed by me as car is 2011)
2. Installation can take up to five hours and needs to be executed while the infotainment system is running. The vehicle battery can be protected by using a battery charger or keep the vehicle engine running. If the infotainment system is switched off, installation pauses and resumes automatically once it is restarted. (Yes, I know that is what the guidance states)
3. Before starting the map update installation, disconnect any devices from the USB ports on the infotainment system, for example, mobile phone chargers or USB memory sticks (Yes, all done)
4. Insert the discs in numerical order, remembering to turn off the vehicle engine for 15 minutes after each disc has loaded! Each disc must finish loading completely before continuing with the next one. (Again - yes)
5. Once the update is finished the vehicle should be turned off for a minimum of 10 minutes to activate the changes and resume full functionality.

(I did all this, whilst working at home and battery on charge and all "seemed well" but final disc failed.... in other words it didn;t work as stated....)

I am using my car as usually with update running in background and waiting for message that loading one disc is finished and I need to insert the next disc.
Even if you are driving for a short disctances it is not a problem for upgrading. It restarts every time you start the engine and PAUSE when the engin is switched off.
Previously there wasn't any restriction about break after each disc loading, but now you have to wait minimum 15 min after each disk is loaded.
I don't need to remember about this because I always insert a new disc the next day in my way to work.
I don't need to hurry with map update, because I new my daily way to work and I don't need to use the navigation every day. Usually it takes me 4 days to finish loading all discs. (I have just come back form leave and wanted the SATNAV for a long complicated journey today)
During the map update you can see the progress bar with remaining time. You can press EXIT to close this screen and use Infotainment system as usually, but not navigation. Progress bar wll apear every time you start the engin and restart the map upgrading. When installation disc finish loading, you will get a message.

More important during the upgrade is to be patient and let the system do his work remembering that sometimes it takes a time to read the disc.
(I am usually very patient but the time to wait as the discs read and then to find it hadn't worked after fours hours was too much.... but see good news end of story below!
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:34   #28
John Pearce
On second XC60

Smile Good news on NAVTEQ update!

Calmer this morning and ready to set off on a long journey - I furnished myself with AA map and compass and set off inserting DISC 1 and hoping for the best. It started to load and kept loading. Then a most helpful telephone call on my mobile from good old Marshall's of Nottingham (not via the infotainment system - so parked and replied). They were ready to help and update the system for me. Now THAT'S customer service. I explained it "seemed" to be working and I'd keep faith. After a three hour journey 1 DISC to go - so left car running and put 4th disc in... IT worked! Drove home tonight and all is well! Thanks JimBG for helpful response and Woofer for telling me how to do it next time.

My point still stands - it is a poor system for updating. 4 hours (minimum) and 4 DVDs? They can only contain maximum of 4.7GB each and that is not a lot in this day and age. Why not use the USB port? Woofer's detailed reply proves the elaborate process even when it goes well. So I am left thinking -come on Volvo I reckon you could source a better map supplier to bring this up to the standard of Marshall of Nottingham's customer service..i.e excellent
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:56   #29
jimbg
Master Member

I am pleased that it has worked for you. the process is very slow and often it seems as nothing is happening.

I updated mine on a long journey and left it alone, I do recall now that it did seem to take along startng each DVD.

Without a doubt the whole process could do with improving.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 22:14   #30
jpab

Default Map updates

I bought a V60 just over a year ago and installed new discs a few months ago. It takes a long time - up to a few hours. To save you some worry though, you have put the new disc in sequence when driving. When you turn the engine off, the system will remember where the update was, so you don't have to drive to a few hundred miles to install the new map data. I am driving to Switzerland next week and I am not sure I can be bothered to install a further update just yet.
JPAB
jpab is offline   Reply With Quote