Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knowing when to avoid buying

Views : 4614

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 05:36   #21
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
I can recommend the LandRover Discovery (3 or 4) for that. Tow whatever you want, even busses.

Yeh I looked at the disco 3 and 4 but they don't really appeal to me. Iv heard bad things about them from a reliability perspective and they still feel like a farming vehicle. I want the functionality but also the comfort
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 06:45   #22
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Yeh I looked at the disco 3 and 4 but they don't really appeal to me. Iv heard bad things about them from a reliability perspective and they still feel like a farming vehicle. I want the functionality but also the comfort
If you are handy with the spanners disco 2 with the td5 engine,7 seats available and rated to tow 3500 kg. Get one with a good chassis or one that the chassis has been renewed and enjoy cheap motoring and excelant reliability with minimal electronics for a modern car. Comfort wise, I have driven my disco 1 12 hours in a day with no discomfort and the disco 2 is reportedly more comfortable if on the air suspention.
I can also attest to the fact that disco 1 and 2 will get places an xc90 would only dream of, they are true 4x4 with impressive off road ability and factor parts are cheap.. Service pack, oil,air and fuel filters for my disco 1 £13 from bearmach. Volvo charge £30 for a pollen filter for my xc70.
If you want fully loaded at the age you are looking at expect a lot of it to not work or a lot of money to get it working..

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 07:06   #23
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
If you are handy with the spanners disco 2 with the td5 engine,7 seats available and rated to tow 3500 kg. Get one with a good chassis or one that the chassis has been renewed and enjoy cheap motoring and excelant reliability with minimal electronics for a modern car. Comfort wise, I have driven my disco 1 12 hours in a day with no discomfort and the disco 2 is reportedly more comfortable if on the air suspention.
I can also attest to the fact that disco 1 and 2 will get places an xc90 would only dream of, they are true 4x4 with impressive off road ability and factor parts are cheap.. Service pack, oil,air and fuel filters for my disco 1 £13 from bearmach. Volvo charge £30 for a pollen filter for my xc70.
If you want fully loaded at the age you are looking at expect a lot of it to not work or a lot of money to get it working..

Paul.
You see this is where I'm torn.

70% of my driving is a regular 15 mile commute to and then 15 miles back. Pick the kids up etc.

20% is loading my tools in the back to do some side work.

10% is towing the caravan for weekends away or holidays etc.

With the above information taken into account I don't need a true off-roader but I do need a capable towing vehicle with the option of 7 seats.

I thought about the TD5 disco but after searching I couldn't find a clean one with no rust issues. A problem that will only probably get worst
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 18:53   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
You see this is where I'm torn.

70% of my driving is a regular 15 mile commute to and then 15 miles back. Pick the kids up etc.

20% is loading my tools in the back to do some side work.

10% is towing the caravan for weekends away or holidays etc.

With the above information taken into account I don't need a true off-roader but I do need a capable towing vehicle with the option of 7 seats.

I thought about the TD5 disco but after searching I couldn't find a clean one with no rust issues. A problem that will only probably get worst
Agreed, which is why I spent 2 grand buying a galvanised chassis for my disco 1. Looked around and people wanted silly money for rubbish so decided to spend half as much on making the devil I knew future proof. This is why I asked are you handy with the spanners.

I originally baught mine to take the cameras where I could no longer walk, it became a Hobby in itself and I now hold and teach C&G off road driving , trailers and winching through 4x4 response Wales.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 19:05   #25
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Agreed, which is why I spent 2 grand buying a galvanised chassis for my disco 1. Looked around and people wanted silly money for rubbish so decided to spend half as much on making the devil I knew future proof. This is why I asked are you handy with the spanners.

I originally baught mine to take the cameras where I could no longer walk, it became a Hobby in itself and I now hold and teach C&G off road driving , trailers and winching through 4x4 response Wales.

Paul.
Surely you'd need more than spanner skills to swop a chassis over
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 19:33   #26
Gazdkw
Master Member

Just to throw it into the mix, my and the other half have decided having 7 seats is not a necessity, more a luxury.

So with that in mind, how would owning an xc70 compare to owning an xc90?

Would it be cheaper to run? Tax? Maintain? Or not much in it?
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 20:24   #27
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

We made that choice after weighing both up.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 21:10   #28
paddy74

Quote:
Sorry to say, but that is totally wrong. I know only one vehicle, that gives you a more comfortable ride than a Disco4 - it's a RangeRover (Rolls or Bentley I hadn't have the chance to try).

Tbh a XC90 Executive with all extras is miles away from a Disco. It's one of the most reliable and comfortable rides I have ever used. Even a X5 or Touareg is not that comfy.

Well, sounds like I should still drive it? Nope, it is too much vehicle for me. A Disco4 makes you arrogant, on so many levels. I have never had any complaints from the police (I hope this wording is correct, I mean "a ticket from the police") besides one speeding ticket when I was 20. In two and a half years driving the Disco, I had four tickets and one drivng ban for telling a cyclist what I personally think of him and how he drives...

This car is far from any farm vehicle, that would be the a Defender.

And it is expensive. Everything is a little more expensive than usual, not much, but a bit everywhere. You do get more for your money, a very comfy ride, a great engine, combined with a smooth as hell 8 speed transmission.

I'm getting lost here, I'm quite convinced with a Disco, but all in all, I wouldn't buy it anymore, mostly because it wakes up things in me, I don't like...

If you have questions, just send me a PM, I can give you the full picture with costs and tricks and everything, you need to know...
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 21:19   #29
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
Sorry to say, but that is totally wrong. I know only one vehicle, that gives you a more comfortable ride than a Disco4 - it's a RangeRover (Rolls or Bentley I hadn't have the chance to try).

Tbh a XC90 Executive with all extras is miles away from a Disco. It's one of the most reliable and comfortable rides I have ever used. Even a X5 or Touareg is not that comfy.

Well, sounds like I should still drive it? Nope, it is too much vehicle for me. A Disco4 makes you arrogant, on so many levels. I have never had any complaints from the police (I hope this wording is correct, I mean "a ticket from the police") besides one speeding ticket when I was 20. In two and a half years driving the Disco, I had four tickets and one drivng ban for telling a cyclist what I personally think of him and how he drives...

This car is far from any farm vehicle, that would be the a Defender.

And it is expensive. Everything is a little more expensive than usual, not much, but a bit everywhere. You do get more for your money, a very comfy ride, a great engine, combined with a smooth as hell 8 speed transmission.

I'm getting lost here, I'm quite convinced with a Disco, but all in all, I wouldn't buy it anymore, mostly because it wakes up things in me, I don't like...

If you have questions, just send me a PM, I can give you the full picture with costs and tricks and everything, you need to know...
I'm confused on which vehicle you was referring to as the most reliable and comfortable ride?
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 21:23   #30
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I am very pleased with the ride in our XC90 - on the motorway at 70ish(!) it is silent and while it has the same torque as the 4.4 V8 BMW, I find I drive it with respect and am surprised at how courteous I have become behind the wheel!

I know this because when I borrow pool cars some of which are fast I become impatient of other drivers and yes, I too have found sometimes I do not like myself. These days it is very difficult to keep your cool with our congested roads and yes, some drivers really need to reflect on their behaviour and ability but it is what it is; bottom line - for me, being behind a fantastic R-Design XC90 helps me cope.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post: