Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather Seat options - kid durability

Views : 4181

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:10   #21
ex Triumph Man

Indiebands was asking about shoes scuffing the paint on the rear sills. You just have to be carefull as young children put their shoes wherever they can get a grip. I thought about a layer of clingfilm but that would lok scruffy very quickly so I just lift the girls (ages 4 and 5) in and out of the car.

Regarding sidesteps, I have deliberately avoided them as they could be very slippery in wet/muddy conditions.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:00   #22
artwilliam

I use Liquid Leather - superb stuff...

http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html#gt11
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 14:24   #23
FarringdonEd

Thanks for this thread. When the OP mentioned a V8 in the 2011 model year I knew it couldn't be a UK purchase now we have the choice of all of one engine...

Am still awaiting my on-order MY 2011 D5 SE. With kids aged 5 and 6 I am a bit worried about how easy they will find it to get in and out and it's probably a simple question but are the running boards dealer-fit options or factory fit? Any advice would be welcome - thanks!
FarringdonEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:00   #24
ex Triumph Man

I would imagine dealer fit. But there again I could stand corrected. Just beware they can become slippery when wet/muddy.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ex Triumph Man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:12   #25
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

I really wouldn't bother with running boards, unless you prefer the look of the car with them on. Our 2 girls are 4 and 6 and have absolutely no problems getting into the car unassisted with no running boards. Yes, they clamber in via the rear sills but that is what they are for - easily cleaned. You get just as much scuffing in the front from getting in and out yourself.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockhopper For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:16   #26
indiebands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
perforated leather seats seem kid proof - running boards eesential for small kids boarding - gliptone leather conditioner keeps them soft and adds a smell of traditional leather seat. Autoglym leather cleaner seems ok. The baby wet wipe idea appears on several threads as good for cleaning leather and dirty fabrics though have not tried this myself.
Hi chunderground,

Thanks! Have you had much experience with liquid spills on the perforated leather seats? That's my biggest worry. How long have you had small kids boarding in the back seat? Our six year old climbed comfortably into the back seat without the running boards. Appreciate the gliptone tip.
indiebands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:24   #27
indiebands

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Well at 6ft 5 I have no need for running boards (the kids use them to get in and out), but because they stick out from the side of the car, you will inevitably brush trousers, skirt etc on them as you get in and out every now again, that is unless you live somewhere where your car never gets dirty?
Having said all that, I would rather have them than not. The kids definately need them to get in and out. As for the kids damaging the paint in the door frame, its inevitable to some extent, but my kids try not to step on it. You should see my 4 year old getting in and out of my car (ordinary 4 door saloon), he takes a big stride over to miss the skirt and door frame. He is as car mad as me, so he doesn't want to see it damaged, otherwise it won't look nice when he is old enough to drive it! 13 years to save up for Group 20+ insurance on a 17 year old!
Wow, our son has no idea that he ever might drive our car. A bike, a real ATV, sure... Pretty hilarious that he's taking care of the car as if it will really be his. Thanks for all the feedback!
indiebands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:25   #28
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man View Post
I would imagine dealer fit. But there again I could stand corrected. Just beware they can become slippery when wet/muddy.
Mine were dealer fitted, they can either be dealer fitted or sold as an accessory for fitting at home, they do bolt on to the chassis a fair way in though so unless you have access to a lift then I would personally let your dealer fit them.

As for the boards being slippery, the running boards come as standard with rubber pads inscribed with an XC logo which in my opinion provides you with the safest and easiest way of entering your car.

From a personal point of view I wouldn`t expect an adult or a child to clamber on the painted sills, but perhaps I`m being fussy.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Painter For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 19:50   #29
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I have the running boards and just step out by putting one foot on them so as no to have to step over them. You don't need a lift to get under the car as there is plenty of clearance to get under it. My kids aged 3 and 7 use them to get in and out and I use them when putting stuff on the roof rack when not at home. They also stop people opening there doors onto the car.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 20:10   #30
400-ascona
Premier Member

The best use for the running boards (other than the kids getting in and out) is when you need to wash the roof!

Tags
durability, interior, kids, leather seats, xc90