Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling obd port

Views : 1737

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:47   #21
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr7310 View Post
If cloning keys and OBD theft isn't an issue for Volvos then that's fine.

I'll likely still go down the route of visual deterrent due to sheer volume of thefts. From a quick Google there are bits of kit which make it fairly easy to clone Volvo keys - even a YouTube video with a how to with one machine..
Steering wheel lock - big visual deterrent. More so than hacking away at your OBD port anyway!

I found that video too and they need a true key in the first place to do that. If they have the true key they aren't going to clone the key to steal it, they'll just pinch it with the key they already have...!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:53   #22
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Steering wheel lock - big visual deterrent.
I hate to tell you but from personal experience I know those things are useless....
Had a car stolen with a real chunky one installed.

Also kind of clashes with the idea of keyless entry....

Question to the OP: Do you have keyless entry? The range extender usually only works with that. Not with the normal radio key.

Last edited by uro1; Apr 12th, 2017 at 10:58.
uro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 11:00   #23
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
I hate to tell you but from personal experience I know those things are useless....
Had a car stolen with a real chunky one installed.
Depends on which one you buy like most other things. When I served in the police some of the more prolific car thieves could remove the cheaper brands without any tools at all in a matter of seconds, all but useless. People buy them on the basis that chunky is good but that's not always the case. I've seen good quality, well made ones take 10+ minutes of abuse with power tools which doesn't sound like a lot but in a built up area anything they can't remove quietly in a short space of time they won't bother with.

Bottom line is if they really, really want your car they'll probably get it.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 16:28   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:

I'll likely still go down the route of visual deterrent due to sheer volume of thefts. From a quick Google there are bits of kit which make it fairly easy to clone Volvo keys - even a YouTube video with a how to with one machine..
I think if cloning a Volvo key was easy you wouldn't get so many people on the forum complaining they couldn't do it when they lost one and didn't want to pay the dealers price for a new one.

With Range Rovers my insurer insisted on a vehicle tracker being fitted before they would insure the car. Would that be enough to give you peace of mind?

Roy
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 21:49   #25
Thrustyjust

You can buy cheap trackers on ebay , if you want a tracker. Not heard of Volvos being targeted and I would guess any Volvo stolen would be done via a house break in and key snatch. They arent that sought after and if someone really wanted it, then let them take it. I would probably be happy its gone to be honest these days.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 10:51   #26
v70stu
V60 T6

Quote:

I still think one of the most effective anti theft devices is the Disklok. Bulky to keep in the car but a great visual deterrent and hard to remove without causing damage and taking a lot of time. If you want peace of mind then I'd look at these. Google them.

And if anyone out there is a tradesman with a Ford Transit full of tools, upgrade your locks. There are keys available online that will open any Ford lock with the long, thin blades and this is the preferred method of getting tools out of Transits now. It is rife.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 22:41   #27
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I also agree with others, a v60 won't be high on the list of buggies to nick
V60 Polestar ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 22:55   #28
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
V60 Polestar ?
Not quite the same cachet for crims as M3
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 23:03   #29
Rooster
Speed freak

Think the new trait is the R-line VAG stuff rather than the M series beemers nowerdays
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote