Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 XC70 Web Site Spotted

Views : 5751

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 18:09   #21
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Red face

Being honest up til now with the last 2 Volvos I had any problems that needed to addressed through VCUK were dealt with quicly and with minimum of fuss. Its jst this time that they have just tried to sit in the corner and not get involved. The amount of times Ive heard the line "you're contract of sale is with the dealer and nothing to do with us" is unreal. The end result is that it is partly their responsibilty!! They built it after all!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 18:38   #22
gillberry
VOC Member

I'm looking to get a new xc90 at sometime this year and have been reading all these posts with interest , it seems though that volvo (since ford takeover) are not the company that they were re reliability etc but also that you do get some friday cars . This you get with any manufacturer but its the after sales service that counts and as yet (re xc90) I have not seen any posts commenting on good service just bad . Is this because forums are only used to air problems ?
I have to be honest when I buy my xc90 I intend keeping it for many years so reliability issues are a bit worrying especially when I'm currently running a 1995 850 estate with 208,000 on the clock and the only faults are a tailgate that won't stay open , a heated pasenger seat that doesn't heat and a small oil leak from the bottom of the engine . I'm hoping the xc90 will last that long with as few faults although I know there are more toys to go wrong .
Would it not be a good idea to post a survey re reliability as I'm sure there are many users of this forum who don't have problems with their xc90's . At least then a truer picture for all to see would be available .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 19:39   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
I'm looking to get a new xc90 at sometime this year and have been reading all these posts with interest , it seems though that volvo (since ford takeover) are not the company that they were re reliability etc but also that you do get some friday cars . This you get with any manufacturer but its the after sales service that counts and as yet (re xc90) I have not seen any posts commenting on good service just bad . Is this because forums are only used to air problems ?
I have to be honest when I buy my xc90 I intend keeping it for many years so reliability issues are a bit worrying especially when I'm currently running a 1995 850 estate with 208,000 on the clock and the only faults are a tailgate that won't stay open , a heated pasenger seat that doesn't heat and a small oil leak from the bottom of the engine . I'm hoping the xc90 will last that long with as few faults although I know there are more toys to go wrong .
Would it not be a good idea to post a survey re reliability as I'm sure there are many users of this forum who don't have problems with their xc90's . At least then a truer picture for all to see would be available .

Someone here posted their XC90 had reached 500,000 miles without a problem. Can't remember who it was though.

Roy
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 20:06   #24
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Ive got VOSA enquiring how widespread three of the problems are with the XC90/70 so if I get any independent (based on what Volvo tell Vosa) verification from them as to the actual facts and figures on failures I will gladly post the results assuming I am allowed to. These would be based on what Volvo release to them as opposed to what people say on here about it. I cant be any fairer to them than that.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 21:05   #25
gillberry
VOC Member

Thanks that would be great if you could post a reply from volvos figures , not that I'm disputing faults or otherwise but it would be nice to know actual figures and a percentage of failure rate compared to amount produced . Also it would be nice to know a time/ mileage limit that we can expect for failures to happen .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 12:04   #26
Mixam

retracted

Last edited by Mixam; Mar 12th, 2009 at 12:09.
Mixam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 13:16   #27
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Smile

From engineer at VOSA this morning. There have been 11 safety recalls related to engine problems on the xc90 which COULD cause the symptoms I have described!!

My car is now to go for a full safety inspection and is officially declared unsafe to drive until this inspection is carried out!!! If I do drive it and an accident occurs due to one of the problems then I could be charged with driving an unsafe vehicle and my insurance invalidated!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 14:29   #28
DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
From engineer at VOSA this morning. There have been 11 safety recalls related to engine problems on the xc90 which COULD cause the symptoms I have described!!
If there were any safety recalls, then every registered owner would have been contacted by Volvo to ask them to take the vehicle into a dealer for rectification work to be carried out. That has not been the case, and thus the VOSA engineer appears to be incorrect in is comment. A recall is is backed by law, and if the manufacturer does not take action, they would face heavy penalties and also leave themselves open to legal actions from insurance companies etc..

What I suspect is the case is that there have been up to 11 software updates that alter the engine and or gearbox operation. Some may be automatically carried out when the vehicle is serviced, whilst others may only be applied if an owner asks for a change to be made.

I have only been contacted once by Volvo since 2004 for a recall, which was unrelated to the engine / gearbox.
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DCO For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 15:59   #29
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
If there were any safety recalls, then every registered owner would have been contacted by Volvo to ask them to take the vehicle into a dealer for rectification work to be carried out. That has not been the case, and thus the VOSA engineer appears to be incorrect in is comment. A recall is is backed by law, and if the manufacturer does not take action, they would face heavy penalties and also leave themselves open to legal actions from insurance companies etc..

What I suspect is the case is that there have been up to 11 software updates that alter the engine and or gearbox operation. Some may be automatically carried out when the vehicle is serviced, whilst others may only be applied if an owner asks for a change to be made.

I have only been contacted once by Volvo since 2004 for a recall, which was unrelated to the engine / gearbox.
I said I would pass on impartial info from VOSA as and when i received it. That was what I was told this morning hence my addition to the post. was told I could look them up on thier website somewhere but have to busy this morning.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 16:36   #30
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
I said I would pass on impartial info from VOSA as and when i received it. That was what I was told this morning hence my addition to the post. was told I could look them up on thier website somewhere but have to busy this morning.
See link to the VOSA web site:-

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...hes/search.asp

List of recalls for the XC90.

The only recall that I got (two XC90's), was No 7, for the track rods.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Mar 12th, 2009 at 16:56. Reason: added text
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tem For This Useful Post: