Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BLIS - Really?

Views : 6009

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 16:04   #21
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
The main "problem" with BLIS, if that now should be considered a problem, is that it gives quite a lot of false alerts when it is, or has been, raining outside.

Now I'm sure that's not a problem in dry UK , but in Sweden it is.
No, our false alarms are set off by rioters and car-jackers hiding in the blind spot.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 20:32   #22
XC60MY12
Country Member

I have ordered the safety pack on my XC60. When on my test drive I was alerted to a motorbike coming up on my nearside. That convinced me BLIS is a good idea.

In theory we all check everything when we should but how many, hand on heart, always check their mirrors before every change of speed or direction.

Sequence of events is mirrors, signal, manoeuvre. Two mirrors should always be checked; interior first as it is flat and gives true impression of distance. Then exterior, which are usually convex and make things seem further away than they actually are.

On motorways a shoulder check should be made rather than turning the head completely. Remember that, at 70mph, you travel 100ft in 1 second.

As far as safety "gizmos" are concerned, my own feeling is that they are all extensions of my awareness and, therefore, beneficial. I don't mind being "distracted" by things that remind me of potential hazards.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 20:34   #23
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
No, our false alarms are set off by rioters and car-jackers hiding in the blind spot.
Seriously? In the Peak District?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 20:54   #24
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw View Post
But it was definitely a useful additional aid for driving on the wrong side of the road.
Now you got it wrong (!). Here, we definitely drive on the right side of the road, so when you use the other one, it must be the opposite, and the opposite of right is wrong. That's how I learned it at school, and that was so long ago that it was probably right (!).

By the way, Sweden changed from left to right in 1967. I suggest you do the same. And get rid of the ridiculous inches and miles at the same time, just like we did even before that!

OK, now I'm taking cover...
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 21:07   #25
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Now you got it wrong (!). Here, we definitely drive on the right side of the road, so when you use the other one, it must be the opposite, and the opposite of right is wrong. That's how I learned it at school, and that was so long ago that it was probably right (!).

By the way, Sweden changed from left to right in 1967. I suggest you do the same. And get rid of the ridiculous inches and miles at the same time, just like we did even before that!

OK, now I'm taking cover...
I drive on the left in the UK but everyone I meet drives on the right. Before you left you must have arrived. Those who drive left have definitely arrived unless they're in transit (or Vito), right?

Nurse...!
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 21:27   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I am SAD to admit the first car I ever drove was a ........... Hillman Imp Californian .. I even remember its reg .... SDU 194F

YEP ..i'm just an old SOD!!!

keith
me too , a 1964 model :-) great fun ...
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 21:30   #27
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
My Dad let me drive his Humber Hawk. The gearchange was mounted off the steering wheel. Almost makes the XC60 feel like a small car!
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 22:01   #28
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There must be a common theme here - my 1st car was a 1965 Hillman Imp Chamois.........no wonder we all drive Volvo's now
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 22:13   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

yes i probably know 5 or 6 people the same :-)
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 23:24   #30
apersson850
Premier Member

First thing I ever drove was a Scania LBS 110 S.
Makes every car look small.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote