Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Questions about my newly acquired 65 plate V60

Views : 2522

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2020, 13:11   #21
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Couple of questions there:

1. If you are in sport mode and in say gear 4, if you brake and come to a standstill, will the box remain in 4th gear and allow you to attempt to accelerate or will it force itself to 1st? Does it warn and say no no no, don't be silly? I'm just thinking if you need to ensure it's in 1st that's another thing to do/think about rather than having full attention on the road.

2. When I knock mine into Sport mode, instead of showing me the current gear number, it shows the letter S. This only changes to the current gear number once I've made a change. Is this the same with yours?

I'd also like it if the current gear number was shown even if in normal auto/Drive mode next to the power meter. What do you think?

Same for the current set speed in cruise when using the Performance theme. When you set the speed it shows you the current speed you just set and if you go below that the line is shown, however if you go above the set speed the entire gauge moves so if you then reapply cruise, you may not remember what speed you last saved. Personally a speed sign in the cruise section with the current stores setpoint would be much easier to understand. Again, just my opinion . . .
If you are in drive you can feel the torque converter ‘relax’ after a few seconds stopped, but in sport it always feels ‘tight’.

If I use ‘sport’ it is always still in automatic mode. The only time I would manually select a gear (3rd I think it is - check the manual) is if I am stuck in mud or snow, etc. It will start in at least 1, 2 or 3 but I believe that in ‘manual mode’ it will still change down once it detects stall conditions / refuses to change down if it will over rev engine.

I agree that I would be interested to know which actual gear I am in.

Our car is always in performance dash but primarily due to preference for the digital speedo and the temp guage. If I do use the cruise (usually on motorway or slow moving traffic cue) and it gets cancelled due to braking i simply press the resume button. If it is cancelled because I have manually been driving faster than the set speed for some time i just press + when i reach the speed I want.
If the speed limit or traffic conditions ahead of me change 10-20mph i just repeatedly press the + or - buttons
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 16:55   #22
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
If you are in drive you can feel the torque converter ‘relax’ after a few seconds stopped, but in sport it always feels ‘tight’.

If I use ‘sport’ it is always still in automatic mode. The only time I would manually select a gear (3rd I think it is - check the manual) is if I am stuck in mud or snow, etc. It will start in at least 1, 2 or 3 but I believe that in ‘manual mode’ it will still change down once it detects stall conditions / refuses to change down if it will over rev engine.

I agree that I would be interested to know which actual gear I am in.

Our car is always in performance dash but primarily due to preference for the digital speedo and the temp gauge. If I do use the cruise (usually on motorway or slow moving traffic cue) and it gets cancelled due to braking i simply press the resume button. If it is cancelled because I have manually been driving faster than the set speed for some time i just press + when i reach the speed I want.
If the speed limit or traffic conditions ahead of me change 10-20mph i just repeatedly press the + or - buttons
I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Regarding the cruise, the operation of it is fine, it's just the fact that in Performance theme you don't actually know what speed has been set in memory unless you're lower than that speed as there's a line, so say the set speed is 30 but you think it's 40 and you're doing 50, when you hit resume you think it will control down to 40 but it will carry on down to 30 unless you press the set buttons again.

In Eco or Elegance, the stored setpoint is shown by a red arrow on the dial so you always know. In performance, all it would require is the speed sign permanently displayed, or any method to physically display the numerically stored value.

The other thing I wish it did in cruise is always jump to the nearest speed limit rather than the exact speed you're at and then have to knock it up, I wish it was the other way round.

It would also be nice if you could see the coolant and oil temp, or at least have the option to display the numerical values in settings like you can for the clock. Yes you have the bar gauge for coolant but it's not as intuitive as a numerical indicator, or as a minimum have a scale on it.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 18:53   #23
Adrian888

The big problem with mine was missing paperwork on collection day (had to wait 4 days) and the dealer simply lied about a repaired aircon fault, it wasn’t. Also a number of electrical glitches (needed a new 12V battery and hybrid software reset). Still not entirely convinced electrical gremlins sorted. However i got a heavily discounted Polestar remap and a £200 voucher towards next service. Love the features, hybrid economy, performance but in hindsight should have bought a Lexus for reliability or Audi because the brand is still my favourite (bought my first Audi nearly 40 years ago).
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 19:51   #24
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Morning,

Couple of questions there:

1. If you are in sport mode and in say gear 4, if you brake and come to a standstill, will the box remain in 4th gear and allow you to attempt to accelerate or will it force itself to 1st? Does it warn and say no no no, don't be silly? I'm just thinking if you need to ensure it's in 1st that's another thing to do/think about rather than having full attention on the road.

2. When I knock mine into Sport mode, instead of showing me the current gear number, it shows the letter S. This only changes to the current gear number once I've made a change. Is this the same with yours?
When you knock the lever over to Sport mode the transmission is still fully automatic, it just alters the shift points and throttle response. However once you push the lever + or - you go into full manual mode and it will stay there until you push the lever back into 'D'. I often use full manual mode on twisty back roads as the car is more responsive.

Even in full manual mode the TCM will command a down change as the speed bleeds off until the car comes to a stop and 1st will engage.

Worth mentioning that 1st is such a low gear that if pulling away and you forget you have selected manual you will be in the red zone in no time, especially if you have a lead foot, and Iron maiden are giving their best on the sound system. I always shift into 2nd from standstill for that reason, a lot smoother.
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 23:45   #25
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
When you knock the lever over to Sport mode the transmission is still fully automatic, it just alters the shift points and throttle response. However once you push the lever + or - you go into full manual mode and it will stay there until you push the lever back into 'D'. I often use full manual mode on twisty back roads as the car is more responsive.

Even in full manual mode the TCM will command a down change as the speed bleeds off until the car comes to a stop and 1st will engage.

Worth mentioning that 1st is such a low gear that if pulling away and you forget you have selected manual you will be in the red zone in no time, especially if you have a lead foot, and Iron maiden are giving their best on the sound system. I always shift into 2nd from standstill for that reason, a lot smoother.
Cheers for that info, answered my question perfectly

I tried Sport mode as 1monkey600 suggested and you can certainly notice the difference when at a junction. Not only is it sharper and ready for warp speed but it kills the start/stop functionality.

Also tried manual mode on the country lanes. Takes a bit of getting used to compared to a manual but fun trying to work out the optimum shift point compared to available engine power
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:33   #26
Yelper85

Evening all,

Quick question, how much force does your LKA apply when activated?

Mine applies some but it's like it applies it for half a second then gives up.

I'd prefer it if I'd really have to fight it unless indicating as currently it's very lacklustre.

What do you guys think?