Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty

Views : 1720

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 14:09   #21
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Yes, this is the worry. I can fix simple things, and used to years ago. Nowadays I am unsure as to what a spanner does, as things are all electrical - so complex - and easily go wrong.

Yeah, they are big manuals aren't they..lol. Ive still not fully read mine. Simplicity is good. For example, the other day I fired up the old s40,and locked it manually with the spare key, whilst it was defrosting. Simple and effective. With the xc you cannot do this, so you have to stand next to the car freezing your bits off!

Regards
That is my issue I do not use 1/2 of the options they put on the C30 on the options let alone the S60!

There are only two things I wish my personal C30 had elecy folding mirrors and active cruise. Apart from that the rest was nice but I just do not see it being useful as a day to day thing it is not like clutch in a manual you use it everyday to get anywhere.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:51   #22
Crdavid

If customers wanted an extended warranty would they pay for it?
We pay for additional safety gear and electronic toys which start as optional extras but within 2 years become standard.
If they fit Dual mass flywheels or electronic management systems why not the expectation that they shall last 5 years.
If we don't rate reliability then manufacturers won't supply it.
Generally modern body shells seem much better than 20y ago and they have a 12 y warranty on perforation so why not engines and drive trains?
It would help us move away from the consume and discard culture.
Crdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 15:33   #23
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crdavid View Post
If customers wanted an extended warranty would they pay for it?
We pay for additional safety gear and electronic toys which start as optional extras but within 2 years become standard.
If they fit Dual mass flywheels or electronic management systems why not the expectation that they shall last 5 years.
If we don't rate reliability then manufacturers won't supply it.
Generally modern body shells seem much better than 20y ago and they have a 12 y warranty on perforation so why not engines and drive trains?
Not really it one area safety gear that I love is pretty much standard across the whole range I know volvo's thing is safety, but the very fact some manufacturers still charge for extra airbags says a lot to me.

Last 5 years? Do you want another exception because a DMF can be quite easily abused...more so than a clutch I am surprised they have not been added to the exceptions list for abuse really proof would be another thing.

Modern economics now really and emissions drive much of it.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 20:28   #24
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crdavid View Post
Why not 12 years, simply because it would mean owners keeping their cars for 12 years which is not good for the purses of the car companies and also the warrenty holding companies would have to pay out a lot more money making it unprofitable for them as cars generally start going wrong at 3-5 years old.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote