Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

home made code reader

Views : 4499

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 15:18   #21
bob13

Jod, Just a quick question if you have a engine management fault does this mean the light will stay on no matter what until you reset it, or does the light go
out once the fault has been fixed. This can't be the case for the ABS as i had the light come one once and havent seen it since. Cheers Bob...
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 15:31   #22
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
Jod, Just a quick question if you have a engine management fault does this mean the light will stay on no matter what until you reset it, or does the light go
out once the fault has been fixed. This can't be the case for the ABS as i had the light come one once and havent seen it since. Cheers Bob...
bob a abs fault will appear on is own circuit ie the abs light will stay illuminated orange....
all fault codes triggering the green warning light (lambda light) need to be removed before the light will go out...clearly there is no point in removing the code if the problem has not been reapired or replaced.....
however there are some codes (known as soft codes iirc) that will disappear follwing a lengthy (overnight) ecu removal...1-2-1 maf sensor signal missing is one of these.....
have you built a code reader ?
if not i can outline the simple way using a 12v lamp and some wire and paperclips....
cheers
jod
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 15:38   #23
bob13

Yes i have built a code reader have no need for it yet hopefully, but always handy to have.
Just wondred thats all, if you were to get a intermittant fault would the lamda light come on somtimes then go out once the fault self corrects or like you have said the light would have to be reset no matter if fault was still there or not. Like my ABS light did once.
Thanks Jod all the best Bob.....
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 15:55   #24
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
Yes i have built a code reader have no need for it yet hopefully, but always handy to have.
Just wondred thats all, if you were to get a intermittant fault would the lamda light come on somtimes then go out once the fault self corrects or like you have said the light would have to be reset no matter if fault was still there or not. Like my ABS light did once.
Thanks Jod all the best Bob.....
the abs light on some models stays on until around 10/15 mph is attained it will then turn off, in my experience some units stay on for 5 seconds or so and then turn off irrepective of vehicle movement.....
i would not expect the abs light to go out "mid journey" although this behaviour could well be down to a loom fault under the fuse box.....
the flasher code readers are a must for all 850 owners...here is a picture of mine.....

cheers
jod
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 16:36   #25
Lmason
L Mason

Default management light

hello bob,
been reading the thread.
some of the faults which arent considered "severe" by the management system may extinguish the management light itself, without having to read and reset the code. this happened to mine when one of the pipes from the turbo was split a little and leaked. when i replaced the pipe, it gone out itself.
with reference to my original post, my light has come on immediately after disconnecting the maf sensor (someone sugested to do this) and it hasnt gone out, despite diconnecting the battery and ecu overnight for 12 hours.
my fear is that a component may of been damaged after diconnecting the maf sensor.
if i am lucky, im hopeing the management light will go out after reading and reseting the system with the home made code reader i am about to make.
im keeping my fingers crossed, as i am now spent up, after having to get a radiator.due to it springing a leak
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 17:15   #26
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
my light has come on immediately after disconnecting the maf sensor (someone sugested to do this) and it hasnt gone out, despite diconnecting the battery and ecu overnight for 12 hours.
my fear is that a component may of been damaged after diconnecting the maf sensor.
if i am lucky, im hopeing the management light will go out after reading and reseting the system with the home made code reader i am about to make.
im keeping my fingers crossed, as i am now spent up, after having to get a radiator.due to it springing a leak
how do you know the maf sensor is setting off the lambda light?...the wiring on the maf plug is known for being weak.......
connect a 12v bulb 16+ 3-
the bulb will be lit with the ingition off and extinguished with the key at pos11
bridge with a length of wire between 3 and 4 for a period of 1 second and remove the bridge......
the light will flash x-x-x
to reset the code...read the code, then replace the bridge for 6 seconds and remove bridge..the light will flash.... immediately it flashes re inset the bridge for 6 seconds.....then remove
if you have not got a bulb use a 12v multi meter....
cheers
jod
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 17:25   #27
Lmason
L Mason

Default jod

cos i unplugged it, that is, the maf
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 17:36   #28
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
cos i unplugged it, that is, the maf
i assumed as much......

believe me the maf sensor fault will be extinguished if the ecu is left out overnight...
this is why i am pointing out that either your maf sensor is knackered possably due to faulty wiring in the plug or you have a different separate fault...
cheers
jod
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 17:45   #29
Lmason
L Mason

Default maf

what usually goes wrong with the maf wiring?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 17:47   #30
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
what usually goes wrong with the maf wiring?
From what I have read, the sensor wire in the MAF gets coated in muck/oil and will burn out..
So no wire to sense the air..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote