Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200F Head Gasket Change ... couple of querie ..

Views : 5485

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 20:26   #21
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Opps, yeh F not E the clue is there for me to see, should try to engage brain before typing, lol.

That pipe is the same on mine... Took me an age to work out why I couldn't free the pump till I found it, lol

IIRC it does take water to the heater matrix.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Aug 11th, 2013 at 20:29.
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 22:38   #22
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Aim-9

A crow-foot socket will grab some of the manifold nuts and, in conjunction with the appropriate ratchet handle, slacken off and re-fasten the nuts.

I bought a "Sidewinder" ratchet handle in the States that has a T-handle that lets you access nuts where a socket will fit but not a conventional ratchet handle. A friend described it as ideal for manifold nuts, which it is.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 21:59   #23
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

So fare, the exhaust manifold is free to remove. Four nuts are free on the inlet manifold using the 3/8 socket set. I'm not sure how a crow foot would help with my set up so I think I'll be moving on to a spanner for the other four nuts.

The top part of the cambelt cover, the alternator belts, the power steering belt, the fan, fan shroud and radiator are all removed.

So far so good.

Two little questions at this stage please ....

1. Once the crankshaft nut is undone, if I need a puller to remove the pulley, what sort of puller will I need?

2. Close to one head bolt at an offset angle there is an open round hole. What the devil is that? Other similar holes seem to be "plugged".

P.S. A previous owner removed the cold start valve. During this job I've been removing the left over bits. Including the metal hose that used to go form the exhaust manifold to the air filter housing. so :

(a) The bottom of the air filter housing has a redundant wide air hose connector. Can I obtain a housing without that "nozzle"?

(b) The bracket holding the coil is a bit of a gantry. I think it used to hold the cold start valve or something to do with it? Can I obtain a simple bracket to hold the coil?

Perhaps in both instances, fitments from earlier models of the car?

P.P.S. I'm enjoying this so far. .... I'm wondering about how to lift that head, it is set so well back in the engine compartment ....

Oh, and I think stainless M8 nuts and washers and some copper based grease for the exhaust manifold studs when re-assembling?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 13th, 2013 at 22:32. Reason: EFA ....
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 22:39   #24
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Having found details of that sidewinder ratchet, I can see that would help. Thanks.

Hmmm .... I think I've got a Stanley ratchet somewhere that works on a similar concept ........
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 23:03   #25
stephend
Premier Member

Not sure about your engine, since it's an F (mine's an E). I guess yours is the twin-cam 16v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
1. Once the crankshaft nut is undone, if I need a puller to remove the pulley, what sort of puller will I need?
I don't recall if I needed a puller, but if so it was just a standard reversible Draper one, 'cos that's what I've got.

Quote:
2. Close to one head bolt at an offset angle there is an open round hole. What the devil is that? Other similar holes seem to be "plugged".
Oil feed or drain for cam lubrication, at a guess?

Quote:
P.S. A previous owner removed the cold start valve. During this job I've been removing the left over bits. Including the metal hose that used to go form the exhaust manifold to the air filter housing. so :
Not sure what the cold start valve is. The metal hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air filter housing is just to duct hot air into the inlet in cold weather. There's usually some kind of waxstat flap in the air inlet that allows either cold or hot air through to the air filter. The missing hose is unlikely to make much of a difference. As for the cold start valve, I note that the sole reference in Mr Haynes is the statement "cold start valve upstream of injectors on some models not covered by this manual". Doh!

Quote:
P.P.S. I'm enjoying this so far. .... I'm wondering about how to lift that head, it is set so well back in the engine compartment ....
Great! The 8v head isn't too heavy, so quite easy to lift out by hand. Dunno about the 16v head, but shouldn't imagine it's that heavy. Maybe get someone to be an extra pair of hands just to be on the safe side?
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 14:35   #26
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Sounds like you are doing a proper job of this!!

if you need help, I'm only round the corner Did similar in my 460, but i have a B18U, which sounds a little less complicated lol
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 17:55   #27
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I have removed the crankshaft nut and the pulley. Yes I used the special tool. That special tool is just a strong suitably shaped "lump" of metal. The words below are just spelling it out in case anyone might be thinking about buying the tool. But basically, the tool is easy peazy to use. The spaecial tool just has to be the simplest easiest most definite to work possible way of locking the crankshaft. Unless you know differently ............

The tming belt tensioner stud has already been exposed. Now remove the nut and very thick heavy washer from that timing belt tensioner stud.

Three lugs at the bottom end of the tool engage with holes in the crankshaft pulley. A hole in the top end of the tool goes over the timing belt tensioner stud in place of the very heavy washer that has been removed, and then the nut goes back on that stud to hold the tool in place. Lots of words to explain but it is very simple in the nitty gritty of doing it, and the crankshaft is then locked.

I can see why people like to use an impact tool for the crankshaft pulley bolt. If you use a swivel handle, breaker bar, do use the longest one you have or can borrow or acquire.

I used the necessary 24mm socket, a hex impact socket to get best grip. Together with a 24 inch swivel handle or breaker bar. At first it seemed like, oh heck this will never shift. I found it best to not use any extension between the socket and the handle. I pulled the lever with my right hand and with the left hand pushed against the thermostat housing. And then the bolt undid smoothly. I am small built and that's just how I managed to get the force applied.

The pulley did wriggle off yes. Haynes says if one needs a puller, use one that screws in to the pulley, to avoid damaging the pulley. But. On my pulley there's nothing to screw in to. So for my future reference, has anyone needed a puller? If so what sort of puller has anyone used that they found OK to do this job without damaging the pulley please?

I shall do some more on this job soon.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 14th, 2013 at 17:59. Reason: EFA
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 18:40   #28
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Good news
I've done my cambelt twice. Both times no pullers needed. Pulley just easily came away
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 17:22   #29
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The inlet manifold nuts are undone. The support bracket below the manifold is disconnected form the manifold. So far so good. A&E have ordered replacement fingers for the ones I damaged whilst removing those nuts. Sadly I myself am a long discontinued model so the spare fingers may be impossible to obtain.

I am very close to removing the head now. ..... No. Not removing MY head ......

But I am bovvered about that little hole in the head that I mentioned before. Not measured by me yet, I'd guess about 3/8 inch. I was way wrong where it is. It is just above number three inlet port. Probing gently the hole I'm asking about seems to have something soft a short way down. Some er, crud? There seem to be similar but blanked off holes above each of the other inlet ports. What the devil is it, please? What sort of blanking plug should it have?
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 17:35   #30
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
But I am bovvered about that little hole in the head that I mentioned before. Not measured by me yet, I'd guess about 3/8 inch. I was way wrong where it is. It is just above number three inlet port. Probing gently the hole I'm asking about seems to have something soft a short way down. Some er, crud? There seem to be similar but blanked off holes above each of the other inlet ports. What the devil is it, please? What sort of blanking plug should it have?
Can you post a photo? Might help someone to identify it.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote