Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What tyres? (fullsize spare)

Views : 3809

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 14:39   #21
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60KEV View Post
maybe different tyre size? I couldn't shut the boot without fear of rear screen shattering.

Where you storing the winter shoes Teejay?
Done took about 50mins, wife cleaned the wheels and they are stored under the stairs. After some building work this year they will move into the utility room.
I have the Segin 17" wheels with 235/17/65.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 15:17   #22
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazx83 View Post
How about fitting Run Flat tyres? ...../[/URL]
As I understand it, runflats are a fading market with only BMW really still using them.
On the technical side, because of their short range when flat (up to 50 miles) they really need to be used in conjunction with a tyre pressure monitoring system. Apparently, many runflat tyres are not repairable.
I don't fancy it and I'm not sure if the XC60 has suitable runflats available. I can't find any reference to runflats in the online handbook.
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:29   #23
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Good luck, when I picked up my winter tyres I could only fit 2 into the car at a time. Perhaps you should nip down to the dealer and look at the options before you go down the route of a full size spare, the car is designed for the spacesaver and I fear that a full size just won't fit in - unless you only plan to use the boot for a tyre
Au contraire. Just loaded up XC60 with 4 bog standard tyres ready to swap out my winter tyres (late, I know). Three on top of each other and one vertical. Not sure what else you carry in your boot but I simply removed the boot cover.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:31   #24
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
Au contraire. Just loaded up XC60 with 4 bog standard tyres ready to swap out my winter tyres (late, I know). Three on top of each other and one vertical. Not sure what else you carry in your boot but I simply removed the boot cover.
i think Iain hasn't realised he's been driving around in a c30 all this time, or maybe volvo give Scots a smaller xc60!
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Mar 20th, 2011 at 19:46.
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 21:00   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
Clearly I have more respect for the interior of my car as, like the other poster here who couldn't get 4 in the car, I chose not to have black tyre marks around the inside, which is what would have happened had I tried to get 4 wheels in.

I will contact you when it comes to doing the holiday packing as it appears your expertise will enable me to forego the use of a trailer, caravan or roof rack
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 20:22   #26
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
I have been looking into getting a fullsize spare wheel for my forthcoming XC60 (D3 manual). One of the issues is the tyres. A previous thread says that XC60s come with Pirelli P ZERO ROSSO. Now these tyres have a general type and a directional type apparently. Directional tyres would scupper the idea of a fullsize spare as only one side could be catered for. (Or at least, one web site says that running a directional tyre backwards merely eliminates its special advantage).
For clarification, can any current owners post specific details of the tyres they received the car with (and in particular whether they were symmetrical/assymmetric/directional)?
Thanks in advance.
Took delivery today. The car has Michelin Latitude Diamaris tyres. These are not directional tyres so it is a 'go' for the fullsize spare.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 18:20   #27
844PHW
Master Member

Just got round to investigating the spare wheel stowage. The chassis floor at the sparewheel well slopes down towards the rear and the spacesaver wheel is stored partly slotted under the rear door sill. As to trying to put a fullsize wheel in the space, there seems to be a short fall in diameter space of less than 5cm, so possibly could be fudged, but there is a whopping shortfall of around 10cm on the width (or depth as stowed). The fullsize tyre is around 24cm wide while the spacesaver is around 14cm wide. Obviously that is why they call it a spacesaver. So to accommodate a fullsize wheel, the well would need to be around 10cm deeper than it is. Clearly, the XC60 was not designed with a fullsize spare in mind.
Should we be concerned about this? Should we be requiring that the cars we buy can take a fullsize spare as normal? Manufacturers will carry on with the trend to eliminate sparewheels alltogether if we do not object. (Understand that this is my only significant criticism of what is otherwise a very good car).
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 18:45   #28
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Just got round to investigating the spare wheel stowage. The chassis floor at the sparewheel well slopes down towards the rear and the spacesaver wheel is stored partly slotted under the rear door sill. As to trying to put a fullsize wheel in the space, there seems to be a short fall in diameter space of less than 5cm, so possibly could be fudged, but there is a whopping shortfall of around 10cm on the width (or depth as stowed). The fullsize tyre is around 24cm wide while the spacesaver is around 14cm wide. Obviously that is why they call it a spacesaver. So to accommodate a fullsize wheel, the well would need to be around 10cm deeper than it is. Clearly, the XC60 was not designed with a fullsize spare in mind.
Should we be concerned about this? Should we be requiring that the cars we buy can take a fullsize spare as normal? Manufacturers will carry on with the trend to eliminate sparewheels alltogether if we do not object. (Understand that this is my only significant criticism of what is otherwise a very good car).
i know it bothers some, but it doesn't bother me. i'm happy with a space saver wheel or inflation kit. i can use the AA or Volvo Assist if i'm desperate. i'd rather cars are designed for more space.
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Apr 5th, 2011 at 19:48.
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 18:52   #29
crossedover

Having no spare at all has the potential for great annoyance as I found out when a large hole appeared in the sidewall of a car I had with no spare and there was zero chance of the kit supplied fixing it even temporarily. I got home at midnight that night with the car on the back of a low-loader.

Space-saver I have no issue with, and is perfectly fine as long as you drive as specified in the manual. In fact I'd rather not pointlessly lug around the extra weight of a full-size spare TBH.
crossedover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 19:12   #30
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossedover View Post
Having no spare at all has the potential for great annoyance as I found out when a large hole appeared in the sidewall of a car I had with no spare and there was zero chance of the kit supplied fixing it even temporarily. I got home at midnight that night with the car on the back of a low-loader.

Space-saver I have no issue with, and is perfectly fine as long as you drive as specified in the manual. In fact I'd rather not pointlessly lug around the extra weight of a full-size spare TBH.
Yep, this is why I opted for a space saver and not the inflation kit. At least it's a fully inflated space saver as some Mercs have a space saver with a collapsed down tire that needs inflating with a compressor before fitting. My colleague at work had one and on both occasions when he had a puncture he was left stranded until the AA came out.