Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 334368

Replies : 3046

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 15:51   #2961
olliecampbell

Still learning the car and working through bits and pieces...

• Checked all the fuses (the car is new to me),
  • Cable tied the radiator fan/cowling in place, No idea why it was removed in the past and not put back properly. New bolts needed!
  • Checked the A/C refrigerant levels,
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 12:24   #2962
olliecampbell

The tracking needed a little tickle...much better now though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-01-03 121542.jpg (117.6 KB, 8 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 12:43   #2963
olliecampbell

Forgot to add....

Ordered a few bits:
Cambelt,
Cambelt tensioner,
V-belt,
V-belt tensioner & idler,
Oil filter including o-ring x2,
Magnetic sump plug and washers,
Air filter,
Pollen filter,
Rear brake discs,
Rear handbrake shoes and spring kit,
Double dose of oil so I can do a couple of quick successive oil changes.
4 litres of power steering fluid ordered.

Power steering pulley diagnosis underway: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2929688

It's going to be a busy weekend!
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 15:34   #2964
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliecampbell View Post
The tracking needed a little tickle...much better now though!
Are the little figures above the big ones the "before" readings? If so, that front right toe-in was massive and the toe out on the front left was also seriously excessive. It was more of a complete reset than a little tickle! The car will surely drive a lot better now although it would be worth checking for any suspension damage given those readings - either it's been incompetently set in the past or something is badly worn or damaged.

Also check the state of the tyres - especially the outer edge of the front right, and inner edge of the front left; if it's been on that alignment for a while, they'll likely be much lower than the rest of the tyre.

The front camber should ideally be negative for best handling (-0.38 degrees each side is the perfect value). It's adjustable via the strut bolts, if you can find a place that will do it. Rear camber is a little iffy being imbalanced positive/negative like that; not adjustable, maybe bush wear in the rear but probably not an immediate issue if it now drives well. (Rear camber is ideally neutral 0.00 each side.)

Note: I'm assuming you have the standard suspension - not the factory optional lowered sport chassis with Nivomats, which has different alignment parameters.
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 16:01   #2965
olliecampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Are the little figures above the big ones the "before" readings? If so, that front right toe-in was massive and the toe out on the front left was also seriously excessive. It was more of a complete reset than a little tickle! The car will surely drive a lot better now although it would be worth checking for any suspension damage given those readings - either it's been incompetently set in the past or something is badly worn or damaged.

Also check the state of the tyres - especially the outer edge of the front right, and inner edge of the front left; if it's been on that alignment for a while, they'll likely be much lower than the rest of the tyre.

The front camber should ideally be negative for best handling (-0.38 degrees each side is the perfect value). It's adjustable via the strut bolts, if you can find a place that will do it. Rear camber is a little iffy being imbalanced positive/negative like that; not adjustable, maybe bush wear in the rear but probably not an immediate issue if it now drives well. (Rear camber is ideally neutral 0.00 each side.)

Note: I'm assuming you have the standard suspension - not the factory optional lowered sport chassis with Nivomats, which has different alignment parameters.

I've just picked the car up from a friend, so am working through the issues. One of the tyres (not identified which yet) was replaced recently, so I expect the tracking has been like that for a while.

It's a Sport with the Four-C switchable suspension...is that what Nivomats are?
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 16:21   #2966
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliecampbell View Post
I've just picked the car up from a friend, so am working through the issues. One of the tyres (not identified which yet) was replaced recently, so I expect the tracking has been like that for a while.

It's a Sport with the Four-C switchable suspension...is that what Nivomats are?
4C is different again. Nivomats were sold as "Lowered Sport Chassis with Load Compensating Suspension".

For reference, here are the Volvo alignment specs from a technical journal dated 2010.

My interpretation in the absence of other guidance, is that your car being a FWD but with 4C would follow the standard alignment specs (but I'm not claiming that with 100% confidence). 4C was developed for and initially only available on the R, but I don't think the R spec applies because that also has AWD. In any case, you'll notice that all variants are actually pretty similar to each other (more so than I remembered).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2024-01-03 16-15-15.png (267.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2024-01-03 16-17-05.png (200.1 KB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 19:17   #2967
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Upstream O2 Sensor

December saw a sharp drop in fuel mileage. I'm gearing up for an O2 sensor change.
This happened with my 2002 at about the same mileage, 140,000.

Details: My '07 base model V70 delivers 27-29 mpg (US) during months with my usual ratio of highway to local driving.
Usual months cover 700-2,300 miles.
Month's of local driving cover 400-500 miles @ 22-26 mpg with more cold starts per mile driven, etc.

Last month covered 447 miles @ 15.3 mpg, a >20% drop overnight.

A new upstream O2 sensor in the '02 restored the mileage, so that's what I'm doing again.
A Denso sensor from RockAuto is ~$180...cheaper than the last one.

I'll do a 'half-tank' mpg check before ordering the sensor.

Cheers
ps Our Shiba Inu is 2 tomorrow.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 23:00   #2968
olliecampbell

Well it seems 2024 is, so far, a lucky year for me!

A big job list to do on a new car…today was power steering pump replacement, cam and aux belts with the associated pulleys/tensioners.

The aftermarket squeaking pump came off easily enough but only after I dropped its glittery contents….i think this is meant to be green!

IMG_5305.jpg

I ordered 4 litres of CHF11 so will flush out all out.

I then cracked on, removed the aux belt and found this…
IMG_5307.jpg

I think Stevie Wonder installed the last tensioner. Missed the alignment peg and also didn’t tension the belt.

Onwards!
Well it seems I was quite lucky that I checked the timing belt…
IMG_5319.jpg

I got as far as I could, I’m waiting for my 300NM torque wrench to turn up tomorrow. So I decided to replace the rear handbrake pads and discs…it looks like this was my third lucky strike (fourth of you include the other side falling apart as well!)

IMG_5334.jpg

Refitting the pads and an oil service tomorrow. I wonder what that holds!
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 23:43   #2969
Dancake
Premier Member

Annual service and replaced the screenwash reservoir neck seal.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 16:17   #2970
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile Another MOT Pass

V70's MOT end of last week - a pass with no advisories - Happy New Year!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote