Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2042736

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:25   #2861
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Well it will be missed Alan, but you do have another beauty to keep you off the streets or on them!
We trust that the next owner values it as you do.
I don't like to think too much about passing my car on- but it comes at some stage.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:16   #2862
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Well it will be missed Alan, but you do have another beauty to keep you off the streets or on them!
We trust that the next owner values it as you do.
I don't like to think too much about passing my car on- but it comes at some stage.
Regards Bob.
Thank you Bob,
I've just spent the morn with the RB: oil service, clean up and take photos for an ad. It is a really nice motor car, but you are right - I have another beauty with the Amazon.
I could easily keep the RB, but I don't think that would be the right thing to do for the motor car. Driving it for perhaps 300 miles/year and otherwise leaving it parked on the drive would do the RB no good at all. The RB needs an enthusiastic owner to maintain it in its current nice condition.
Alan
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:53   #2863
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm shocked you're moving the RB on so soon Alan, i had the idea you'd be keeping it a long time.

I just hope it goes to an equally enthusiastic owner and we see more of it in this hallowed portal!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 13:18   #2864
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm shocked you're moving the RB on so soon Alan, i had the idea you'd be keeping it a long time.

I just hope it goes to an equally enthusiastic owner and we see more of it in this hallowed portal!
As I told Bob in the above Dave, this is really about doing the right thing by the RB. The villain of this piece is Great Aunt Maud of course; since I bought GAM I've hardly used the RB, and in the longer term lack of use is not a good thing for a motor car.

The RB has developed into a very good motor car over the past 2 1/2 years, and having become an historic vehicle is now almost free to run. My attention is now with GAM though, so it would be best to find an enthusiastic next owner for the RB (and I hope someone that will continue this thread).

:-)

Alan

PS. The RB really does scrub up well, here is a photo from this morn:

... it also got an oil service, all the fluids topped up and all is well.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 30th, 2022 at 13:26.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 13:28   #2865
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sounds like it needs a good home... I would gladly take it off your hands and drop in a B230FK and M90
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 18:03   #2866
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Sounds like it needs a good home... I would gladly take it off your hands and drop in a B230FK and M90
You are an excellent man Luke, but there is always a problem in giving away motor cars (or anything else): free things command no respect. I’ve given away a number of pretty good motors to mates in the past, they have all assured me the motor car will be cherished but invariably they have ended up with the banger racing chap or advertised as ‘spares or repair’ on eBay when I’ve asked after them 2 years later. Having got the RB into really good order I don’t want it to end up that way - nor do I think it is suitable for a turbocharged motor.

I have not decided what the price will be yet, but it is always (in my humble opinion) vital to set a reasonable price for anything that is not going to end up as scrap.

I’ll advertise the RB for a fair price on eBay for the month of May. If it doesn’t sell it can grow old gracefully in the parking place on the road outside my house, and serve an important purpose by stopping people parking their works vans there overnight.

:-)

Alan
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:00   #2867
Othen
Premier Member

Default The RB is offered for sale

So chaps,

I thought long and hard about what price to ask for the RB (thank you for prompting me Luke). Eventually I came up with £4,950, which I think will be enough to deter the insincere and dealers just looking to add £3,000 and sell again, but not so much that it might appear in the 'Seriously?' column of this forum :-).

Here is a link to the classified ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185408917184

We'll see how it goes, I think I have a fair price for a good historic car. If it doesn't sell I can keep the motor car another year :-)

Alan
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:43   #2868
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
So chaps,

I thought long and hard about what price to ask for the RB (thank you for prompting me Luke). Eventually I came up with £4,950, which I think will be enough to deter the insincere and dealers just looking to add £3,000 and sell again, but not so much that it might appear in the 'Seriously?' column of this forum :-).

Here is a link to the classified ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185408917184

We'll see how it goes, I think I have a fair price for a good historic car. If it doesn't sell I can keep the motor car another year :-)

Alan
That's a strong pitch Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:46   #2869
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's a strong pitch Alan!
Too strong Dave?
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:55   #2870
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Too strong Dave?
I'd say just about right, should discourage the idiots and enforce the buying decision of those actually looking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: