Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 15554

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 13:57   #271
Ammorack

Okay, I was feeling again with this screwdriver and turned the engine fast to get a better understanding. I think I found TDC now. It’s right when the piston goes down. And so I turned crankshaft counter clockwise. (I know I’m not supposed to do it) but I think I got it now.

I always thought it was timed correctly out the information from camshaft marks and crankshaft.
But I didn’t thought of doing it with a screwdriver. This may be the problem right? If I’m not doing it wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 10FDA222-B2E4-4521-A9BF-1089551093C8.jpeg (361.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1187FAF6-FAB4-4C88-B363-A2B07867703A.jpg (68.4 KB, 8 views)
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:07   #272
Ammorack

I’m confused now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03B31B6D-6943-4120-8B7E-FAF86A8B6BA2.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg B9BE0AC4-8B4F-4A86-8727-40C50892D9F0.jpg (42.2 KB, 8 views)
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:19   #273
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
I tried again with this piston stopper.
I think it’s too long, so it hits before TDC. I unscrewed that piston stopper so it could hit TDC and I unplugged it and tried again with a screwdriver and feel where TDC is. I think I have found TDC. Not sure
The second picture with the green color on the left side is where the markings for crankshaft is. And pulley is supposedly out of specs?
That confirms exactly what i suspected. Just enough to retard (or advance, depending on your view point) the camshaft by 1-2 teeth.

If you use your tool in the plug hole again, turn it clockwose until the piston is stopped by the tool, paint a mark on the crank pulley inline with the TDC mark on the timing cover, remove the tool and continue turning the crak clockwise then refit the tool, Turn the crank ant-clockwise and when the tool stops the piston again, paint another mark on the pulley in line with the TDC point on the timing cover.

Measure the distance between these two paint marks, divide that distance by 2 and make another paint mark that distance from one or other of the either side of TDC marks in the middle. This should be exactly TDC so turn the crankshaft until this new mark lines up against the TDC pointer on the timing cover and the camshaft is somewhere near where it should be and (take a phot of the camshaft pulley at this point please!) see where the cam is. Wouldn't mind betting it's 1-2 teeth out from where it should be!
That would also explain your consistently high across all 4 cylinders compression readings!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:40   #274
Ammorack

Quote:
I’m confused now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That confirms exactly what i suspected. Just enough to retard (or advance, depending on your view point) the camshaft by 1-2 teeth.

If you use your tool in the plug hole again, turn it clockwose until the piston is stopped by the tool, paint a mark on the crank pulley inline with the TDC mark on the timing cover, remove the tool and continue turning the crak clockwise then refit the tool, Turn the crank ant-clockwise and when the tool stops the piston again, paint another mark on the pulley in line with the TDC point on the timing cover.

Measure the distance between these two paint marks, divide that distance by 2 and make another paint mark that distance from one or other of the either side of TDC marks in the middle. This should be exactly TDC so turn the crankshaft until this new mark lines up against the TDC pointer on the timing cover and the camshaft is somewhere near where it should be and (take a phot of the camshaft pulley at this point please!) see where the cam is. Wouldn't mind betting it's 1-2 teeth out from where it should be!
That would also explain your consistently high across all 4 cylinders compression readings!

Damn, you’re killing me, Dave xD

I’ll try my best. Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:45   #275
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I’m confused now.
You've already done what i was suggesting in my last post Ammo, the cam is definitely timed wrong if you're sure you've found TDC on the crank isn't in fact where the nothc on the pulley is in relation to the timing marks on the timing cover!

Unless i'm mixing the pictures up, the cam timing is retarded compared to where it should be (although advancing the cam would have similar effects) so will cause the ECU to think it's running lean.

You may have to readjust the idle speed and the TPS after getting the cam timed right but hopefully not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:49   #276
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

I did read the full thread till now, sorry.
Don't trust the marks on the crank pulley. This harmonic balancer is prone to twist the inner and the outer part. You will find a lot of pics inside the Internet.
Only the screw driver will tell you TDC. Or the mark on the crank gear, pulley removed.
I'm short in time, I will read the rest later, maybe tomorrow
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:53   #277
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
I did read the full thread till now, sorry.
Don't trust the marks on the crank pulley. This harmonic balancer is prone to twist the inner and the outer part. You will find a lot of pics inside the Internet.
Only the screw driver will tell you TDC. Or the mark on the crank gear, pulley removed.
I'm short in time, I will read the rest later, maybe tomorrow
Good luck, Kay
That's the theory i'm working on now Kay, i'd forgotten about the twisting torsion damper on the pulley until yesterday but have asked in the past areas of the thread to check the cam timing - one of my first ideas if memroy serves.

Of course, with it twisted, it will give the wrong results so hopefully we have some progress now!

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 15:26   #278
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You've already done what i was suggesting in my last post Ammo, the cam is definitely timed wrong if you're sure you've found TDC on the crank isn't in fact where the nothc on the pulley is in relation to the timing marks on the timing cover!

Unless i'm mixing the pictures up, the cam timing is retarded compared to where it should be (although advancing the cam would have similar effects) so will cause the ECU to think it's running lean.

You may have to readjust the idle speed and the TPS after getting the cam timed right but hopefully not.

Like so? I measured it between those two markings I made. 5,5cm divided by 2 equals 2,75cm and made a new mark. Turned crankshaft to that mark and here’s a picture of the cam also

1 tooth 🦷 away

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 11th, 2020 at 15:32.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 15:49   #279
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Like so? I measured it between those two markings I made. 5,5cm divided by 2 equals 2,75cm and made a new mark. Turned crankshaft to that mark and here’s a picture of the cam also

1 tooth 🦷 away
I can't see the marks on the crank pulley? On the cam pulley, it looks like the cam is retarded, one tooth behind where it should be?

If so and you are happy you've now got the true TDC position, set it up on the new true TDC, slacken the timing belt adjuster locknut, lever the adjuster away from the belt and temporarily lock it in position. Use this extra slack in the belt to move the cam to where it should be, get the belt back on, release the locknut on the adjuster/tensioner and allow it to tension the belt, lock the lock nut.

Turn the engine two full turns and recheck your new timing marks and TDC on the cam pulley. Release the locknut on the tensioner and allow it to take up any slack then lock it again.

Try it!

The idle may be higher now but we can deal with that later.

Little tip, with the timing belt slack, turn the cam pulley 1/2 a tooth further than you need to to aid getting the belt on, as the tensioner takes up the slack, this half tooth over will disappear but makes life much easier!

Good luck!

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 18:20   #280
Ammorack

Well well well

This timing belt is stretched or this tensioner is bad????

I have adjusted camshaft now 👍🏻👍🏻

https://youtu.be/NcTtl0nJD4Q

Tags
electricity, issues