Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 839850

Replies : 1195

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 17:04   #251
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
Hi Roy,

When you have one of your regular 4 wheel alignment checks carried out, do they find the n/s needs more adjustment than the o/s?
No, not as far as I can see. I think it's something to do with my use as my 940 used to do it even more. The XC90 wears it's tyres far more evenly though.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 17:08   #252
Jesters3

Well the time has come to fit some new boots to the old dear, the XC90 that is and not the wife. I have been scouring the web for prices and the like as well as looking at the various types and makes. I have the standard Pirelli Scorpion which I have to say performed very well last year even with the snow. I thought timt to change to something else especially when they cost £180 a corner. So I have had a good look aoround, weighed up the pros and cons and decided on the Falken HS439 EuroWinter tyres. These cost £132 each from pneu-online. I had a look at the usual suspects the Wintrac, the Nokians even the Hankook IceBear and ICept range. However I took the plunge on the Falkens, mainly due to the good looking price but also for the reviews it has had. I know the Nokians and Wintrac are tried and tested and bested, but the price just outweighs them (i'm not one to skimp on tyres but sometimes you have the be realistic).

Well they were fitted last week and so far they are on! Can't say much more than that as I haven't had a real chance to drive them as it is the wifes car. Nevertheless they look ready for the cold weather and being a High Performance tyre should be interesting on how they last. They look quite good, have both the M+S and Snowflake symbol so are ready to be hit by some freak snow! I will report back on how they have been over the course. But for the those interested here is what they look like:

Jesters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 15:03   #253
JimG
Premier Member

I'll be interested in how these tyres perform. I had Falken on my V70 T5 and they were great in every respect. I looked at these for the XC but couldn't find many reviews on them.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 15:14   #254
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
Hi Roy,

Just a thought, but it maybe due to roundabouts or that the n/s normally takes more punishment due to drains etc., which can affect the tracking more that side. As you well know, the tracking does not have to be out that long for it to make quite a difference to the tyre wear.

When you have one of your regular 4 wheel alignment checks carried out, do they find the n/s needs more adjustment than the o/s?
The other thing I forgot is road camber. Do cars in other countries wear a little bit more on the other side? (Still nearside for them)
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:47   #255
rjebb

Default No Vredesteins - what to do?

Hi - I have an XC90 with about 23000 on the clock and the factory fit Contis are at about as low as I want to take them now that winter is here. I have been reading this thread and was keen to fit Wintracs given their long life and good all weather performance but there appear to be none in the UK at all - one dealer has told me he doesn't expect any until Feb 2012! General Grabbers also seem to be rare as hens teeth.

Most of my mileage is country backroads with one or two longish M-way journeys a month. Can anyone offer any advice on similarly priced tyres from other vendors which will last like the Wintracs? One dealer suggested the Hankook w310 i-cept Evo, but its a new tyre and I know nothing about it at all.
rjebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:41   #256
rjebb

Update: Have just ordered 4 Wintracs from www.mytyres.co.uk - they have stock and seem competitive. I think they are coming from a warehouse in Germany. I'll let you know when (if?) I get them, they said 2 -4 days.
rjebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 00:07   #257
mml

Watching this topic and similar ones for quite a while as trying to decide replacement for OEM Contis for XC90. Decided on Vredesteins Quadtrac 3 SUV 107V XL as wanted an All Season tyre for those "rare" wintery days and towing a RIB and dinghies up muddy slipways.

Found it impossible to find 4 tyres in UK and eventually went to Oponeu.co.uk (based in Poland) after reading a range of positive reviews. They offered by far the best price at £170 a corner inc free delivery - and you can speak to a real person if you want too. Paid by PayPal on Wednesday got tyres on Monday. Can't ask for much more!

Will report back in due course on performance.
PS. Would have gone with Tyremen if they had stock, as they were really helpful but let down by lack of availability.

2010 XC90 SE Lux D5 Geartronic.
mml is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mml For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 16:06   #258
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
Update: Have just ordered 4 Wintracs from www.mytyres.co.uk - they have stock and seem competitive. I think they are coming from a warehouse in Germany. I'll let you know when (if?) I get them, they said 2 -4 days.
Will be interested to see if you do...some people report excellent service from them but last year when I tried to order some they never materialised and I found it very hard to talk to a real person. Eventually cancelled my order and just went to Kwikfit.

Had the Wintracs on the XC90 (ordered from clickontyres) since September and so far while haven't tested them in snow yet obviously but dry/wet driving has been fine, pretty good in deep mud and haven't experienced any of the issues with handling that some winter tyres seem to cause in warmer conditions. I honestly can't feel the difference between them and the Michelin summers on it before, the ride, handling, noise, economy etc seem the same, except that the perforance in mud and snow will be better! Too early to tell about wear though.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 23:58   #259
minimow151

Have just hit 2100 miles and the fronts are at about 2mm. Rears will last a few more months. Have been offered General Grabbers for £139 per wheel fitted and balanced in Salisbury.

Seems like a good price and people seem to rate them. They can have them in the same day if ordered by 1000hrs.

Any advice on better price or is this a good deal?
minimow151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 23:59   #260
minimow151

Clearly not 2100 miles! Meant 21,000 miles.
minimow151 is offline   Reply With Quote