Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 124369

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2023, 15:37   #251
rangerovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Glow plugs could have an effect on the DPF regeneration.

As for removing and cleaning the DPF, there's not really a need to do that. It can be done, but its a messy.

A good blast down the motorway will clear it out, but you need to get the glow plug issue sorted first.

You could also do what's known as a "forced regen". The car needs to be hooked up to diagnostics to do that and the diagnostic tool basically tells the ECU to rev the car high for about 10-15 minutes, which raises the temperature in the exhaust/DPF and the soot flies out the back. However, the fuel can get diluted with the oil when doing that, so its best to change the oil after you've done a forced regen (just in case there's fuel dilution).
Ah ok, excellent thanks. Now to find the right relay and loacte it on the car....

Codes were ECMM-6663 and ECM-6665

Last edited by rangerovering; Nov 15th, 2023 at 15:50.
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 16:59   #252
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerovering View Post
Ah ok, excellent thanks. Now to find the right relay and loacte it on the car....

Codes were ECMM-6663 and ECM-6665
Those codes would indicate a fault with cylinder 3 and cylinder 5 glow plugs.

It might not be the relay??
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 17:17   #253
Simmy
Premier Member

all glow plugs must work as they are 1 of the components required for a successful regen.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 22:01   #254
rangerovering

Right…

After scrabbling around with a torch this evening, all glow plugs apparently are within 0.5-0.7ohms across the board.

The car has always had a code for the glow plug relay but i can’t find the picture of the code for it, these glow plug ones are more recent.

Debating whether to spend the first £50 on a relay or on glow plugs!

Suppose I could take the plugs out and test with a battery.

Last edited by rangerovering; Nov 15th, 2023 at 22:08.
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 23:02   #255
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerovering View Post
Right…

After scrabbling around with a torch this evening, all glow plugs apparently are within 0.5-0.7ohms across the board.

The car has always had a code for the glow plug relay but i can’t find the picture of the code for it, these glow plug ones are more recent.

Debating whether to spend the first £50 on a relay or on glow plugs!

Suppose I could take the plugs out and test with a battery.
Those readings aren’t bad. 1ohm or less would be considered normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 23:47   #256
Simmy
Premier Member

you could try a used one from a breakers
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 04:59   #257
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
all glow plugs must work as they are 1 of the components required for a successful regen.
I have had my V50 for 15 years and it has always had a Glow plug fault code. I was always told it was a "ghost" fault by the dealer and could ignore it.. However last year for some reason I actually unplugged the feed to the glow plugs and checked the resistances of the plugs and found 3 out of the 4 were open circuit. I did ask a few garages about replacing them and all were reluctant in case the plugs snapped.
Always had a fault code but don't know how long since each plug failed.

I have decided to leave them on 2 accounts
The car never seems to struggle on starting even in the winter( there is a slight roughness to the idle when starting during cold periods. So I put this down to the glow plugs (could also be injectors??).it clears and settles after a couple of minutes.
Also the DPF does still seem to regenerate OK. I only ever notice it on the long trip. I see the MPG drop from about 60 down to 40 for 15 / 20 minutes whilst on the A38/M5. But that is the only time I would notice it as it is the only time I am a fairly steady revs/speed for a longer period.
Since knowing the 3 plugs have actually failed(since testing them) but could be many years more? The DPF still regenerates.
I only do local driving but 1 600 mile trip every month.
I was always told the plugs aided during regeneration however they appear not to be essential. I assume the regen might take longer without them all working?

Last edited by IainG; Nov 16th, 2023 at 05:06.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 11:07   #258
hawksport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

I have had my V50 for 15 years and it has always had a Glow plug fault code. I was always told it was a "ghost" fault by the dealer and could ignore it.. However last year for some reason I actually unplugged the feed to the glow plugs and checked the resistances of the plugs and found 3 out of the 4 were open circuit. I did ask a few garages about replacing them and all were reluctant in case the plugs snapped.

The car never seems to struggle on starting even in the winter( there is a slight roughness to the idle when starting during cold periods. So I put this down to the glow plugs (could also be injectors??).it clears and settles after a couple of minutes.
Also the DPF does still seem to regenerate OK. I only ever notice it on the long trip. I see the MPG drop from about 60 down to 40 for 15 / 20 minutes whilst on the A38/M5. But that is the only time I would notice it as it is the only time I am a fairly steady revs/speed for a longer period.
Since knowing the 3 plugs have actually failed(since testing them) but could be many years more? The DPF still regenerates.
I was always told the plugs aided during regeneration however they appear not to be essential. I assume the regen might take longer without them all working?
The car will still do a passive and an active regen. For a forced regen there can't be any fault codes
hawksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 11:08   #259
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

If the plugs are soaked in penetrating fluid the night before removal and also on the day of removal, as well as removing them on a warm engine, the likelihood of them snapping is reduced. There’s no guarantee they won’t snap, or course. The garage know this, but they shouldn’t be so reluctant. They should have the equipment to deal with snapped plugs anyway. It won’t be the first time they’ve seen it, or I guess it would be if they tell people not to bother replacing plugs in case they snap.

I think the saving grace with your car is you’re doing a 600 mile trip, which is a decent run in one go. If you weren’t doing that trip, I suspect you’d have problems with the DPF because of failed glow plugs and soot build-up.

Those glow plugs in your car won’t last forever, nor will they in any car. If some aren’t working, that will put extra load on the ones that are. My advice would be to get them fixed properly, before starting trouble kicks in. Oh… find another garage too. Glow plug removal isn’t rocket science and easy in terms of what garages deal with day-to-day.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 16th, 2023 at 11:12.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 11:54   #260
rangerovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksport View Post
The car will still do a passive and an active regen. For a forced regen there can't be any fault codes
Does the 2.0D behaves differently to the D5?