Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb upgrade?

Views : 31339

Replies : 287

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:43   #251
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
I cant believe that people are going out there and adjusting their own headlight beams on the drive way....... You know the annoying driver that sometimes comes up behind you and the one headlight is brighter than the other and dazzles you...yes?
Less annoying though with hallogens than retena burning HIDS without self leveling and fully legal if done corectly?
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 15:23   #252
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

jepho - Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like this before going to the test centre. I know it sounds as if I was going back on what I was saying but was just confirming that it is an easy process to do and can be done at home.

As to where the beam cut off it is set, I'm working from what I noticed when driving behind a Corsa C. It was sitting just below the back screen where as before it was more down towards the number plate of the same car. However there is at least 3-5 inches of body work until the back glass so there is room for improvement. But the way mine are set now I'm happy with and lights up the road far better than they did before I had them adjusted.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VenomS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 16:22   #253
TEZ-1

What did people use to clean the projector lenses?
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 16:35   #254
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZ-1 View Post
What did people use to clean the projector lenses?
Glass cleaner. Make sure when you are unscrewing that you hold it above your head so any plastic shaving that are bound to come out don't get into the unit.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaygee For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 18:48   #255
TEZ-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Glass cleaner. Make sure when you are unscrewing that you hold it above your head so any plastic shaving that are bound to come out don't get into the unit.
When you say glass cleaner do you mean like the blue autoglym stuff?
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 20:32   #256
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZ-1 View Post
When you say glass cleaner do you mean like the blue autoglym stuff?
Yeah, if you have it. Any automotive glass cleaner will do the trick though.

Just to add - Volvo projectors aren't that good. There are people on here who have changed the lenses to better known ones, such as Lexus projectors.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaygee For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 20:47   #257
swisstony
54 Volvo V50 1.8S

Can anyone recommend better projectors to replace the stock ones fitted?
swisstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 21:51   #258
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
Can anyone recommend better projectors to replace the stock ones fitted?
I can't answer your question but I know where you can find out.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums

Just so you don't get too excited the last time someone asked this question the end cost of doing it was close to £1500.

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 22:51   #259
jepho

Quote:
jepho - Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like this before going to the test centre. I know it sounds as if I was going back on what I was saying but was just confirming that it is an easy process to do and can be done at home.
OK. I understand that now.
Two useful links follow:

MOT Testers manual section 1.7 (headlamps) This clears up the confusion concerning the fitting of HID lamps and the need to have working wash and self-levelling kit. This does not apply to cars which have never had the self-levelling device and headlamp washer fitted. On that basis, I see no problem with fitting HID lamps as long as they are correctly aimed.

Headlamp aim guidelines from section 1.8 of the current MOT testers manual The description and illustrations are definitive for the UK so this is good information too.

I suspect that the reason that my projector lamps are so dire is the design has no choice but to lessen the light output. Photons in a beam (light from the headlamp) will be diffused by anything inserted into the path of the beam and the relevant optical law is the inverse square law. This states that a doubling of distance from the source requires a concomitant fourfold diminution of the light output.

Inverse square law illustrated

This is not enough on its own to produce the dire lighting I am experiencing but... it is an optical law which is always present. I suspect that the projector envelope is too thick for the quantity of light which is output from a standard H7 bulb and reduces the available light by too much. I will measure the light output from the dip and the main beam with an accurate exposure meter and report back. I would be very surprised if the projector lamps light output were not significantly reduced.

Quote:
As to where the beam cut off it is set, I'm working from what I noticed when driving behind a Corsa C. It was sitting just below the back screen where as before it was more down towards the number plate of the same car. However there is at least 3-5 inches of body work until the back glass so there is room for improvement. But the way mine are set now I'm happy with and lights up the road far better than they did before I had them adjusted.
I will adjust my own lamps to get the beams somewhere reasonable and then I will fit an HID kit. There may be an alternative if Volvo make a similarly specified headlamp assembly with HID lamps, that will just slot into the existing aperture for the complete lamp housing. This is much more likely to be a very expensive solution.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 23:05   #260
Volvorforlife
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
I can't answer your question but I know where you can find out.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums

Just so you don't get too excited the last time someone asked this question the end cost of doing it was close to £1500.
That was me and worth it in my opinion but only because I knew I would be buying another C30 that I could use the same lights in.
62reg Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE
Volvorforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvorforlife For This Useful Post: