Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 900111

Replies : 6504

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 06:29   #2391
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
Historic vehicles do make more of course, but 10 grand is a bit (about £4,000) too much methinks.

:-)
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 08:46   #2392
Moomoo
VOC Member

[QUOTE=Othen;2848798]Historic vehicles do make more of course, but 10 grand is a bit (about £4,000) too much methinks.

:-)[/QUOTE https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...29751&_sop=10]

Sorry chaps, trying to do links!🫣

Last edited by Moomoo; Oct 10th, 2022 at 08:48.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 08:50   #2393
BicycleBoy
Master Member

244DL 1979 £3500
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02209280202402
Two-tone interior trim!
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 09:38   #2394
BicycleBoy
Master Member

And two red saloons:
One that won't sell in a month of Sundays (£6250)
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1509740
And one that sold in a single Sunday (£2200)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165717239076
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 06:25   #2395
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I feel a bit sorry for chumney trying to sell the twin Weber 244 with the rusty floor, it has failed to attract any bids at £3,700 several times, but he seems to think it is worth £5,000. In an idle moment (I know, I should get out more) I had a look at his classified ad, which included:
New engine wiring loom as they had biodegradable materials to make the wiring loom from factory
New genuine volvo centre silencer
11 months mot
Loads of service history
The last owner before had this car for 30 + years
Alot of time and money has gone in to this car the new owner will not be disappointed
... now I was pretty sure the motor car had only a short MoT from chumney's previous attempts to sell at auction, so I checked and found:
MOT valid until
19 December 2022
So, it looks like Bromsgrove man has been hawking this motor car since January this year, soon after it passed the MoT. It will be October next week; surely he must have realised after nearly 10 months that he is asking too much for the motor car.

I did notice chumney had dipped his toe into this forum (but I can't remember where it was - I can't see his post in the 'for sale' section).

This one really is odd. Pretty soon (in only 10 weeks) the 240's MoT will expire... ho hum.

Alan
Following Andrew's tip-off, I followed the last bit of Bromsgrove car's ad. It didn't sell at £5,000 of course (it would have been surprising if it had after failing at £3,700).

I wonder what Bromsgrove man does now - the motor car seems to have been on sale all this year and now only has a short MoT, I suspect some of the advisories will need addressing to pass another test and the winter is almost here. Perhaps SORN the motor car, buy a good cover, get it MoT tested in March and try again in the spring?

:-(
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 09:06   #2396
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Following Andrew's tip-off, I followed the last bit of Bromsgrove car's ad. It didn't sell at £5,000 of course (it would have been surprising if it had after failing at £3,700).

I wonder what Bromsgrove man does now - the motor car seems to have been on sale all this year and now only has a short MoT, I suspect some of the advisories will need addressing to pass another test and the winter is almost here. Perhaps SORN the motor car, buy a good cover, get it MoT tested in March and try again in the spring?

:-(
Funny you should say that Alan (although we know that car was overpriced) as i was watching a more modern estate in case my 760 failed the MoT on something seriously £OUCH! with a view to perhaps buying said modern estate.
I say modern, 2004 vintage and came with an LPG system already fitted, decent MoT history, low mileage, more or less immaculate inside and out except for a ding on the front wing and was priced pretty reasonably. If i'd had the spare funds, i would have snapped it up purely on the advert (not a great ad but had the main facts) but firstly the 760 flew through the MoT again (except for an advisory ball joint which i'm still waiting for after 9 days) and secondly, with winter approaching and an empty oil tank, i need to reserve funds for heating oil.

The point of this preamble is to illustrate what i believe to be a slump in the car market as a whole, not just in classics and Historics but all over the car market from one extreme to the other, old to new.

Obviously with the economic climate not being very favourable at present that doesn't help but even before Quasi Modo came up with his Monopoly board "mini-budget" recently, things were on the downward turn, albeit only slightly which could easily have been the seasonal downturn as we morphed into Autumn from a long hot summer.

Time will tell ultimately on this but i suspect the higher prices many have enjoyed (and for others, endured) will soon become a thing of the past.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 09:22   #2397
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Funny you should say that Alan (although we know that car was overpriced) as i was watching a more modern estate in case my 760 failed the MoT on something seriously £OUCH! with a view to perhaps buying said modern estate.
I say modern, 2004 vintage and came with an LPG system already fitted, decent MoT history, low mileage, more or less immaculate inside and out except for a ding on the front wing and was priced pretty reasonably. If i'd had the spare funds, i would have snapped it up purely on the advert (not a great ad but had the main facts) but firstly the 760 flew through the MoT again (except for an advisory ball joint which i'm still waiting for after 9 days) and secondly, with winter approaching and an empty oil tank, i need to reserve funds for heating oil.

The point of this preamble is to illustrate what i believe to be a slump in the car market as a whole, not just in classics and Historics but all over the car market from one extreme to the other, old to new.

Obviously with the economic climate not being very favourable at present that doesn't help but even before Quasi Modo came up with his Monopoly board "mini-budget" recently, things were on the downward turn, albeit only slightly which could easily have been the seasonal downturn as we morphed into Autumn from a long hot summer.

Time will tell ultimately on this but i suspect the higher prices many have enjoyed (and for others, endured) will soon become a thing of the past.
There are harder times coming - and this has nothing much to do with mini-budgets - this was an inevitability when we started quantitative easing (QE) in 2007. QE was probably the right thing to do (the alternative being a world without a banking system), but it will mean that we will all get quite a bit poorer after the halcyon period we have enjoyed. None of this is particularly aimed at the UK, the same is true of all states with fiat currencies.

The developed world will have to get used to paying a lot more for energy (the real cost of nuclear and renewable sources has been masked by cheap oil and gas for years) and its promissory currencies buying less goods than previously because the other 5 or 6 billion people in the world will want a greater share.

The manifestation at the micro-economic level are exactly as you have predicted: frivolous things won't have much value.

Old Oct 12th, 2022, 09:33   #2398
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There are harder times coming - and this has nothing much to do with mini-budgets - this was an inevitability when we started quantitative easing (QE) in 2007. QE was probably the right thing to do (the alternative being a world without a banking system), but it will mean that we will all get quite a bit poorer after the halcyon period we have enjoyed. None of this is particularly aimed at the UK, the same is true of all states with fiat currencies.

The developed world will have to get used to paying a lot more for energy (the real cost of nuclear and renewable sources has been masked by cheap oil and gas for years) and its promissory currencies buying less goods than previously because the other 5 or 6 billion people in the world will want a greater share.

The manifestation at the micro-economic level are exactly as you have predicted: frivolous things won't have much value.

This could open up not just a can of worms but a whole oil-drum full! We should still have cheap oil and gas IMHO but that's another story!

Half the reason we don't have cheap energy is because of the "fat cats" at the top, recently had a visit from an Openreach engineer to attend to a broadband fault and she was telling me the top person in Openreach had awarded himself a 32% pay rise, his 2IC a 25% rise and was quibbling about giving the workforce a rise to reflect the cost of living.

The day after my visit the Openreach engineer was out on strike, not for Openreach and their wages but as part of the CWU supporting the Royal Mail people - no doubt when Openreach decide to go on strike for themselves, we'll have yet more delays in the postal system!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 13:17   #2399
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
This could open up not just a can of worms but a whole oil-drum full! We should still have cheap oil and gas IMHO but that's another story!

Half the reason we don't have cheap energy is because of the "fat cats" at the top, recently had a visit from an Openreach engineer to attend to a broadband fault and she was telling me the top person in Openreach had awarded himself a 32% pay rise, his 2IC a 25% rise and was quibbling about giving the workforce a rise to reflect the cost of living.

The day after my visit the Openreach engineer was out on strike, not for Openreach and their wages but as part of the CWU supporting the Royal Mail people - no doubt when Openreach decide to go on strike for themselves, we'll have yet more delays in the postal system!
... sounds like union propaganda to me Dave - don't fall for it.

Old Oct 12th, 2022, 13:37   #2400
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Westway Lubricants as previously mentioned:~

Good products & excellent service: If you go direct to the company you will get the same product as ebay but a couple of pounds cheaper- same deal regarding delivery etc.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: