Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 48024

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 16:15   #231
Othen
Premier Member

I'm enjoying reading your thread Chris; don't worry - there are no silly questions :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 14th, 2020 at 16:15. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 16:23   #232
Chris152

Thanks both.

Stephen - I guess there's a case for lubricating many of the nuts/ bolts on a car that's so old, and some of which may not have been touched in 30 years? We did the bonnet hinges but not the headlamps, which we'll do now as they're going to need the reflectors replacing.

On cleaning the rear lights, I posted that on a facebook page and someone said to remove the units, and then the bulb attachments and clean through the bulb holder holes, which seems a reasonable compromise. In fact, once all the electrics are out the way and you just have an otherwise sealed plastic unit, I guess there's no reason not to immerse the lot in detergent and soak, shake, then repeat till as much as possible of the dirt is out. Then allow to dry thoroughly before replacing. We'll wait til it's stopped pouring with rain to try that.
Not terribly important, just waiting for bits to arrive in the post!
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 17:10   #233
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
In fact, once all the electrics are out the way and you just have an otherwise sealed plastic unit, I guess there's no reason not to immerse the lot in detergent and soak, shake, then repeat till as much as possible of the dirt is out. Then allow to dry thoroughly before replacing. We'll wait til it's stopped pouring with rain to try that.
Not terribly important, just waiting for bits to arrive in the post!
The dishwasher takes the hard work out of it Chris!

Lenses upwards and treat as a normal load. If you remove the rubber gaskets (they're usually a sort of sponge rubber) and soak them in really hot water with a hefty dose of washing up liquid then when you can get your paws in without taking your skin off, give them a good massage and a rub to remove the loose dirt, rinse well and lay flat to dry.

If possible, fit them back to front to the opposite handed cluster from which they came so the RH is on the LH cluster back to front and vice versa on the other side, this really helps them reseal. Likewise a gentle smear of silicone grease also helps them seal and waterproofs them while making it easy to remove them in the future if necessary.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 07:31   #234
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The dishwasher takes the hard work out of it Chris!
I assumed you were kidding when I read that, Dave - but I can see it makes perfect sense! Maybe a cooler cycle in case any distortion occurs? We'll wait for a dry day so there's no issue with the holes where they sit getting water inside.

Alan - I appreciate your 'no silly questions' comment - from our perspective, I think it's a question of being sure we've done what we can to find out for ourselves before throwing questions out, hoping someone will be kind enough to answer. Looking back on our flushing of the cooling system questions, I realised that the thermostat would indeed have to be removed as (hoping I've figured this right!) it won't allow the water to flow to the radiator until the engine's warmed it sufficiently to open the valve. So we could have thought before asking - tho I guess it's what happens when there's so much new info to process. Rambling a bit, but I'm trying to say thanks again for everyone's patience with our basic questions! Just read your current thoughts on your drive gear - I know in due course that's where the lad wants to head, lots of learning to do before we get there... :-)

Last edited by Chris152; Nov 15th, 2020 at 07:38.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 07:55   #235
Othen
Premier Member

Super duper Chris,

That is the value of this forum - before you know it you and your son will experts and advising others on their newly acquired project cars :-)

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 10:38   #236
Chris152

Quick one - we managed to get the lights off the rear, about to wash them. Some of the electrical connectors were quite stiff to remove - can I lubricate them with anything? WD40? Vaseline?

Edit - OK, dielectrical grease, apparently. We don't have any, I think we'll just slip them back on, should be fine.
Prime example of asking a question without researching first! Got over-excited about getting the light housings off.. :-)

Last edited by Chris152; Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:51.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 11:24   #237
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Quick one - we managed to get the lights off the rear, about to wash them. Some of the electrical connectors were quite stiff to remove - can I lubricate them with anything? WD40? Vaseline?

Edit - OK, dielectrical grease, apparently. We don't have any, I think we'll just slip them back on, should be fine.
Prime example of asking a question without researching first! Got over-excited about getting the light housings off.. :-)
Silicone grease!!! Did you pick any up yet?

Don't forget to polish all the connections on the cluster firstly with fine emery and then something like Solvol Autosol before smearing silicone grease on and refitting the connectors.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 17:11   #238
Chris152

Went to Halfords just assuming they'd have silicone grease, but no! we've refitted the lights anyway as we didn't want the rain getting in, and they look way better - the grease is arriving tomorrow so we may release the lights enough to smear a coating on the seals.
It was a bit disturbing to see a brake light wasn't working but after lots of fiddling with wires, it turned out to be the bulb! Could have been that way for some time.
Next up, antifreeze... :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 18:13   #239
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Went to Halfords just assuming they'd have silicone grease, but no! we've refitted the lights anyway as we didn't want the rain getting in, and they look way better - the grease is arriving tomorrow so we may release the lights enough to smear a coating on the seals.
It was a bit disturbing to see a brake light wasn't working but after lots of fiddling with wires, it turned out to be the bulb! Could have been that way for some time.
Next up, antifreeze... :-)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70G-Silic...g/174292752540

There you are Chris - Toolstation may do it as well or a better motorists shop, Hellfrauds is geared more to bikes and always has been. Toolstation do indeed do one :

https://www.toolstation.com/silverho...se-tube/p79867

They also do a superb silicone lube spray as well :

https://www.toolstation.com/silicone-spray/p21983

Excellent for locks, latches, window channel rubbers (where the glass slides up and down) and other general lube jobs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:22   #240
Chris152

I'm getting on with the antifreeze today tho the boy's not here - the weather's looking grim later in the week. At the moment it's sat on the drive, cooling after removal of old coolant and refill with water from hose, and 45 mins drive.

Quick question - once the engine's cool, is it best to remove the bottom rad hose again to drain water and the flushing fluid before removing the thermostat housing? It'd save water spilling all over the shop?