Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Volvo Amazon (121)

Views : 40880

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2013, 16:48   #221
Jackman

I agree, there will be a bit of patina but that grill was polished in the first pic. Whatever was left on it for nearly 20 years has done a good number on it.

(Wow it was last on the road in 94... that is nearly 20 years now)
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 18:41   #222
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A shame that things are going so slowly for you but very glad you are keeping going with it.

at least cleaning parts up and welding can be done gradually and with very little outlay.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 20:39   #223
Derek UK
VOC Member

The grilles and all of the other aluminium trim is anodised. This is just a stable and controlled aluminium oxide layer which stops the alloy oxidising in air. After a while it does start to break down but keeping it clean and adding a coat of wax does help to slow things down. Unfortunately there is no way back. Grilles come off worse due to erosion by grit and road dirt so tend to be a rather pitted. Anodising does have some depth to the coating so it's pretty well impossible to polish a grille back to the alloy below it. Paint will improve things but better used ones maybe a sensible choice. New ones can be found if your pockets are deep enough.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 13:13   #224
Jackman

Well ive been very slowly cleaning up the grills, doing a bit at a time as its fiddly work. Finally got my other car ready for its mot so i can now get back on with the Amazon.

Few things happened, i got my two hif44s cleanish to start designing the throttle linkages. Going to be similar to how the hif6's were fitted.

Also ground down all the welds on the passenger side and done most of the drivers side.

Now however i need to make a start to find the garage again after having all my tools etc at the front of the garage.

Got a few questions and requests if possible.

For those people who have twin carb setups, can you take a few pictures of the throttle linkages and the choke cables as im guessing the choke pulls two cables, one for each carb.

Also for those people who have fitted the "Shotgun" i think its called (where the wing is bolted to) ive looked at pictures from how they have fitted them but i cant work out if the lip on the new panel goes above or below the sheet metal, some look below and some look above. Can anyone confirm the fitment to me?

Any tips for removing the engine and gearbox? This is going to have to be done sooner rather than later so should ask that.

Thanks in advance.
Jackman
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 13:34   #225
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post

Also for those people who have fitted the "Shotgun" i think its called (where the wing is bolted to) ive looked at pictures from how they have fitted them but i cant work out if the lip on the new panel goes above or below the sheet metal, some look below and some look above. Can anyone confirm the fitment to me?

Any tips for removing the engine and gearbox? This is going to have to be done sooner rather than later so should ask that.

Thanks in advance.
Jackman
Hi Jackman,

We've just fitted a couple of the shotgun repairs. Which lip do you mean? Do you mean where the repair is welded to the inner wing or where it attaches to the scuttle area? If so I butted both areas together and welded them together. Cut the old shotgun section off and then trial fit the new shotgun up, and then trim along the repair edge so it butts up perfectly to the inner wing. I used Mig for the inner wing section and Tig for the scuttle curved section. You can get the scuttle area to fit really well. The other area is top of A panel section and this is spot welded when it was built and we plug welded this section on Dave's car, but I butt welded along the vertical seam on mine. Trial fit the outer wing before welding the shotgun repair in place. I can't post pics at the moment sorry.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 13:56   #226
Jackman

Thanks for the quick reply, got some pictures to help with my explanation. I did mean the lip to the inner wing. Ive seen some pictures that look like its on top of the inner wing and welded like

Then again some look below

As for the scuttle area, ive got a bit of cutting and cleaning up to get it in correctly, joys of starting with a very rusty car.

I did think the panel would get butt welded as thats what i would have done, but always best to double check than mess it up and spend ages trying to fix it.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 14:03   #227
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Yep just butt weld that area. Best way I've found to get the joint matched up is get a 1m steel rule and mark along 5 to 10mm inside of the bend of the shotgun/inner wing, then cut the repair panel to suit.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 21:07   #228
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, got some pictures to help with my explanation. I did mean the lip to the inner wing. Ive seen some pictures that look like its on top of the inner wing and welded like

Then again some look below

As for the scuttle area, ive got a bit of cutting and cleaning up to get it in correctly, joys of starting with a very rusty car.

I did think the panel would get butt welded as thats what i would have done, but always best to double check than mess it up and spend ages trying to fix it.
hi ya

be warned if you weld the new shotgun on top of the inner wing then the wings sit about 10-15mm to high afterwards so trial fit is a must !! i learned that the hard way the very first time i replaced a set the rest of the welding is a sinch i use a bradel aswell in the hole at the front of the new repair and poke it in the hole on the rad panel it keeps it inline and tru then a datum point i find the rest will then sit nice

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:52   #229
Amazonjulian
Master Member

When I did my rear arches, I joddled the mating surfaces- in other words put a step in them, punched them and plug welded to start with. I would have thought you could go the same route with this job. Good luck
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 22:46   #230
Derek UK
VOC Member

It might have been a while since you cut the old ones out but you might recall that the vertical section is actually part of the inner wing so originally there is no join, just a small radius junction. As said, the correct position is vital to match in the wings, bonnet and front panel. With the bonnet fitted correctly in relation to the front panel and with a correct and even gap at the back, you can use that get the alignment with the front panel. Fitting the wings firmly but accurately will also get the side panels in line for a few small tack welds to make sure everything is in the right place.
Have you got both sides to do? If the other side is still sort of intact you can at least get some measurements.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote