Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1964 Amazon 122S restoration project

Views : 30982

Replies : 266

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2023, 19:15   #221
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
The car continues to drive really nicely. I have however encountered a problem with the overdrive.

Since getting the car on the road OD has worked fine at all speeds and engaged nice and positively. However it stopped working last week. I noticed that the solder joint on the solenoid had broken off, so I simply removed the solenoid, redid the joint with a new wire, and refitted it.

Then the problem started. Engine off, the solenoid still activates in 4th, you can hear the clunk. However it's now not working at higher speeds. Around the streets it works as normal, but on a motorway at 60-70 it simply does nothing.

I found that with no pressure on the throttle pedal it will activate at 70, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it jumps out of OD.

Oil has recently been checked and a small dribble comes out of the fill hole on a level surface.

Electrically everything is fine, I've tested continuity of every connection and as I say it works reliably at lower speeds.

Have I disturbed something by removing the solenoid?
Possibly introduced air into the system and that is causing it to drop out or maybe a seal between the electrical and hydraulic parts of the solenoid so you have reduced hydraulic pressure.

Just a suggestion, normally they either work or don't rather than hal-heartedly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 21:32   #222
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
The car continues to drive really nicely. I have however encountered a problem with the overdrive.

Since getting the car on the road OD has worked fine at all speeds and engaged nice and positively. However it stopped working last week. I noticed that the solder joint on the solenoid had broken off, so I simply removed the solenoid, redid the joint with a new wire, and refitted it.

Then the problem started. Engine off, the solenoid still activates in 4th, you can hear the clunk. However it's now not working at higher speeds. Around the streets it works as normal, but on a motorway at 60-70 it simply does nothing.

I found that with no pressure on the throttle pedal it will activate at 70, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it jumps out of OD.

Oil has recently been checked and a small dribble comes out of the fill hole on a level surface.

Electrically everything is fine, I've tested continuity of every connection and as I say it works reliably at lower speeds.

Have I disturbed something by removing the solenoid?
I can’t remember exactly but you adjust the solenoid engagement and I think there’s a hole that needs to be aligned in the acuating lever. It’s been years sorry. If you search online for adjusting the solenoid actuating lever or something along those lines.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 22:34   #223
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
I can’t remember exactly but you adjust the solenoid engagement and I think there’s a hole that needs to be aligned in the acuating lever. It’s been years sorry. If you search online for adjusting the solenoid actuating lever or something along those lines.
This from green book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0767.jpg (157.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (146.8 KB, 6 views)
Rustinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 23:19   #224
Derek UK
VOC Member

The usual answer to this question is have you checked the oil level but you say that is fine. What oil are you using? Losing pressure due to worn O rings is another cause and this means a small overhaul unfortunately. I don't think you have any history on this GB/OD? If it hasn't been run for a long time there might some dirt in the valves. There is a filter that can be checked. I think an oil change would be my first job even if its fresh. 20/50?
Hopefully you freshen up the OD wiring and that is OK. I say that after seeing some of the wiring pics posted.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 17:25   #225
Juular

Good knowledge thanks all.

I checked the solenoid linkage and was able to put a 4.5mm drill bit straight through into the case
So that seemed ok.

Solenoid did however feel a bit loose. Not sure why as I tightened it well, but regardless I did it up again with a small spot of thread locker.

Cleaned out the filter and refilled with fresh 20/50 as before. Eventually. It's like treacle.

Wiring is definitely OK. I redid all of the wiring all the way back to the switch.

I checked the current draw of the solenoid when active and it was around an amp, that seems about right.

So did a test drive of around 6 miles and no change. In fact it wouldn't work at all.

Then did a longer drive of around 50 miles and around halfway noticed that OD would work at lower speeds again.

On the way back it started working fully again, including at 70mph.

Pleased with that.

Now I need to stop hitting the full beam switch instead of the clutch pedal and all will be grand.

Last edited by Juular; Dec 6th, 2023 at 17:27.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 18:05   #226
Moomoo
VOC Member

That’s a picture of a happy (lucky) old Amazon.

Love it! Well done you!👍
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 18:48   #227
Volvo_133
VOC member

The oilways between gearbox and overdrive are small. Once you have re filled the oil sharing system it is beneficial to complete a short journey and then check and refill the oil as required. Hence why your OD initially would not engage.
Some owners (if aware of the capacity of oil) fill the box/overdrive by removing the gear lever and filling to capacity.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 15:32   #228
Derek UK
VOC Member

Correct. Recheck the level. It might surprise you how much it now needs to top it off.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 16:49   #229
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Correct. Recheck the level. It might surprise you how much it now needs to top it off.
Took around 150ml after 100 miles.

Some of that may also be because the front and rear box seals aren't in the first flush of youth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 16:59   #230
Juular

Next challenge.

It's doing around 18mpg on decent runs, which isn't right. Measured from taking mileage between brimfuls. I've factored in the 4.1 axle throwing the odometer out by using GPS tracking.

I think I've got the carbs very close, but would being a touch on the rich side account for this? I'm expecting closer to around 25-27 given the diff and OD combo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: