Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2043094

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2021, 15:03   #2281
Othen
Premier Member

Default Pierburg Carburettor Anti-dieseling Solenoid

Readers may recall that I had an issue with the RB's anti-dieseling solenoid about a week ago. It responded quite well to being cleaned up with some carburettor cleaner spray, but I had noticed that there was considerable play in the stroke of the solenoid. I'm not sure whether these two photos demonstrate it well enough, but there was about 4mm of play between the full extent of the stroke and it encountering any resistance from the internal spring:

and fully extended:

Although the solenoid was working after I'd cleaned it, I was not convinced it was as good as it should be, so I set about looking for a replacement. I found that Skandix sold a replacement for 48 Euros, plus a hefty 60 Euros delivery - that is about £100, and I didn't think the issue needed fixing that much. I then reasoned (to myself) that Volvo would not have had these items manufactured specially back in 1980, so other manufacturers probably fitted them as well. Anything with a similar carburettor (Solex, Stromberg etc...) might work, so I started looking through VW lists and came up with part #049-129-412/C - a 12v fuel cut off valve for 1970s/80s air cooled Beatles and so on. The photo looked pretty well identical, and I found it available for only £18.25 here:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...valve-12v.html

... being a tightwad, I quite liked solving this issue for £18.25 rather than £100, so I thought it worth a punt. The part arrived this morn (excellent service from Heritage Parts Centre) so I set about seeing if it was interchangeable with the old one. First I checked the impedance, and found it to be 27 Ohms (close enough to 30 Ohms as makes no difference in this context).

The Volvo and VW parts certainly seemed to be almost identical in the areas that mattered:

The only critical dimension would be the diameter of the fuel cut off:

... 8.89mm on the Volvo one, and:

... 8.86 mm on the VW one - within 0.03mm is good enough for government work - so I decided to give it a go.

The new part fitted perfectly:

I've just taken the RB for a 5ish mile run to get it up to temperature and found everything to be good. The tick-over is certainly much steadier than it was previously - so I'm confident the VW part is an exact match and saves more than £80 compared with using a Skandix supplied part.

I think the original valve had probably been fluttering a bit and so allowing the tick over to become erratic. I noticed that the tick over speed rose by about 200RPM (with the engine warm) with the new valve fitted, which I think means the old solenoid wasn't deploying fully.

This has been quite a find, the VW part 049-129-412/C is cheap and easily available - and is a direct replacement for the fuel solenoid on older B21a (and maybe other) Volvo motors. I hope this is useful.

:-) Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 18th, 2021 at 16:38. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 15:16   #2282
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

... being a tightwad, I quite liked solving this issue for £18.25 rather than £100, so I thought it worth a punt.

:-) Alan
Ah, a man after my own heart, Alan!

Wasn't it A. M. Wellington who said that an engineer can do for a dollar what any fool can do for two? I believe that you have proved the wisdom of his words more than once with the R.B.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 15:21   #2283
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Ah, a man after my own heart, Alan!

Wasn't it A. M. Wellington who said that an engineer can do for a dollar what any fool can do for two? I believe that you have proved the wisdom of his words more than once with the R.B.

Regards, John.
Many thanks John,
I do so enjoy coming up with little solutions like this for the RB - it is just so satisfying.
Alan
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 16:08   #2284
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A solution after my own heart Alan!

Similar example, the Lambda sensors on my Rover, NLA from Rover for fairly obvious reasons, Honda want £LIMBS for one (think it was £188 last time i checked) and so i did some research.

Discovered the exact same sensor is used by Suzuki, Daewoo and Vauxhall, the latter on 1990-95 8v Family II engines and has a generic replacement which is also sold as a universal Lambda sensor - all of them are single wire jobbies. The only difference is the plug on the end to connect to the cars loom - Vauxhall uses a strange pin arrangement, Rover/Honda use a single 6.35mm aka 1/4" Lucar connector in a bespoke housing to prevent erroneous connection to the A/C compressor clutch feed, not sure what Suzuki use but the sensors are all the same.

Now i can pick them up on fleabay for ~£20 for the pair if one fails.

Always very satisfying discovering the same parts sold much more cheaply elsewhere!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 16:19   #2285
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A solution after my own heart Alan!

Similar example, the Lambda sensors on my Rover, NLA from Rover for fairly obvious reasons, Honda want £LIMBS for one (think it was £188 last time i checked) and so i did some research.

Discovered the exact same sensor is used by Suzuki, Daewoo and Vauxhall, the latter on 1990-95 8v Family II engines and has a generic replacement which is also sold as a universal Lambda sensor - all of them are single wire jobbies. The only difference is the plug on the end to connect to the cars loom - Vauxhall uses a strange pin arrangement, Rover/Honda use a single 6.35mm aka 1/4" Lucar connector in a bespoke housing to prevent erroneous connection to the A/C compressor clutch feed, not sure what Suzuki use but the sensors are all the same.

Now i can pick them up on fleabay for ~£20 for the pair if one fails.

Always very satisfying discovering the same parts sold much more cheaply elsewhere!
Exactly Dave - I'm sure you felt the same Eureka! sense of achievement when you solved the problem. I'm feeling quite smug with myself today.

I've just been out to the motorbike shed to fix the 1976 Suzuki B120's indicators, which I noticed had stopped working when I last started it (the lights only work with the engine running - scary at night!). Armed with a wiring diagram and my automatic multi-meter I was pleased to find: they had fixed themselves in the intervening period (6v electrics, 45 years old... it just happens sometimes).

I'm on a roll!
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 17:35   #2286
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Exactly Dave - I'm sure you felt the same Eureka! sense of achievement when you solved the problem. I'm feeling quite smug with myself today.

I've just been out to the motorbike shed to fix the 1976 Suzuki B120's indicators, which I noticed had stopped working when I last started it (the lights only work with the engine running - scary at night!). Armed with a wiring diagram and my automatic multi-meter I was pleased to find: they had fixed themselves in the intervening period (6v electrics, 45 years old... it just happens sometimes).

I'm on a roll!
It was a Eureka moment Alan but tinged with slight trepidation as to whether it would work as it should on the first one.

THe B120 - that would be the Bloop + VAT?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 18:45   #2287
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It was a Eureka moment Alan but tinged with slight trepidation as to whether it would work as it should on the first one.

THe B120 - that would be the Bloop + VAT?
Yes indeed, and I do call it the Bloop :-)
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 19:36   #2288
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes indeed, and I do call it the Bloop :-)
Ah, same bike then!?

Old Feb 18th, 2021, 21:04   #2289
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah, same bike then!?
B100P and B120P were the same apart from the size of the hole in the barrel. Bloop is easy to pronounce, so they are all called the same thing.

Mine has been great fun, bought for £200 from a bike breaker having not been used for 30 years . Now it runs and rides really well, but (deliberately) looks like someone stepped off it after a shift at the shoe factory in 1986, gave it a wipe over with an oily rag and never came back.

Last edited by Othen; Feb 18th, 2021 at 21:26.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 23:55   #2290
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A 35 year time-warp Alan!