Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CLONKING/KNOCKING when accelerating, or taking of

Views : 82934

Replies : 238

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 18:04   #201
jeffreyt

here's the latest ,thinking about it made me laugh when I got home but not so funny at the Volvo dealer this morning.Parts store empty of customers,2 guys behind the counter,good omen I thought
' 2 XC90 driveshaft bolts please and here's the part number,
don't recognise that part number sir,whats your reg number,
well my car is an XC70 and ......
then you shouldn't be fitting XC90 DS bolts to it...sir and XC90 DS bolts come in 2 lengths and neither will fit your car ...sir .
Why do you want to fit XC90 DS bolts to your XC70 ?
well on the Volvo forum...at which point the parts assistant and the other assistant ( who had been listening in ) cast their eyes to the ceiling ...... then tell me they don't have any XC90 DS bolts in stock and would have to order them.
Hmnnnnnnnnn silence
OK says I ,do you have any XC70 DS bolts in stock,their eyes light up , yes sir and only £4.90 a pair !
At this price I've got nothing to lose so take them.
My thinking being that if they are as easy to fit as people on here say I might as well try them and see if it gets rid of the dreaded ping.
If it doesn't I can go on the hunt for the elusive XC90 DS bolts.
No one has ever mentioned the XC90 bolts coming in 2 sizes but I didn't feel wise enough to pursue this point with the asssistants even though someone was shouting 'horse manure ' in my head.
The standard XC70 DS bolt is 58mm from the inside of the large washer to the end of the bolt and it has a 10mm section of thread covered in red stuff .
Is the XC90 bolt of similar dimension ?

PS driving home I explained all this to my all knowing English Setter who had been asleep in the back of the car .After careful thought he said I love the room in the back here but if you swapped it for a Jag xtype estate I would still be happy......
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 18:43   #202
micken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
PS driving home I explained all this to my all knowing English Setter who had been asleep in the back of the car .After careful thought he said I love the room in the back here but if you swapped it for a Jag xtype estate I would still be happy......
PMSL at that. What did you tell him? Dream on?
micken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 22:56   #203
daddypruds68

Default Before I buy!!

Right........spent the last 45 mins reading this thread from start to finish. I'm going to buy the xc90 bolts for my 2006 06 185bhp D5 S60 in hope to get rid of the flippin' clunk. Which ones do i ask for from my volvo stealer, and what bl**dy torque setting do i use??????? Whats this thing with the angles when setting the torque? Help please!!!!

Cheers
Ian
daddypruds68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 09:34   #204
Nick0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypruds68 View Post
I'm going to buy the xc90 bolts for my 2006 06 185bhp D5 S60 in hope to get rid of the flippin' clunk. Which ones do i ask for from my volvo stealer, and what bl**dy torque setting do i use???????
Ian you are asking for Volvo XC90 Driveshaft bolts, I believe the part number is 30714142 but you should check that for yourself. Picture attached of what they look like. VIDA says they should be tightened to 35NM which is not much. Many people (including me) have tightened them to 50NM. hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo xc90 driveshaft bolt 30714142.jpg (45.0 KB, 14 views)
Nick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick0 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 10:44   #205
ASt85
Premier Member

Default 35Nm + 90°

Tightening the bolt to an initial 35Nm, sets the contact centring of the bolt and bush, the further 90° tightening of the bolt establishes the required working torque for the bolt – it is actually around 50Nm.

However these are torque bolts and can only be correctly set by the final 90° rotation NOT TIGHTENING TO A GIVEN TORQUE.

They must be fitted “dry”, i.e. no grease present on the bolt thread or the internal axle thread (only the thread locker present). If grease is present, it will create the wrong tension and prevent the thread locker bonding correctly.

TORQUE BOLTS ARE USE ONCE ONLY BOLTS - their re-use can create incorrect thread tensions

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 10:46   #206
Nick0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Tightening the bolt to an initial 35Nm, sets the contact centring of the bolt and bush, the further 90° tightening of the bolt establishes the required working torque for the bolt – it is actually around 50Nm.

However these are torque bolts and can only be correctly set by the final 90° rotation NOT TIGHTENING TO A GIVEN TORQUE.

They must be fitted “dry”, i.e. no grease present on the bolt thread or the internal axle thread (only the thread locker present). If grease is present, it will create the wrong tension and prevent the thread locker bonding correctly.

TORQUE BOLTS ARE USE ONCE ONLY BOLTS - their re-use can create incorrect thread tensions
Er, I'm no engineer and I'm sure you are spot on with this but I stuck mine in and torqued them up to 50NM and they have been absolutley fine.
Nick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:34   #207
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Safety

Yes, I'm sure they are absolutely fine torqued to 50Nm, because these bolts do set correctly by the torque + angle method to almost exactly 50Nm, but the correct way to get these torque bolts set correctly is by the initial 35Nm torque + 90°.

For any torque bolt, the correct final torque is the specified applied force + the specified angular turn, the resulting final torque will depend upon the thread type and the diameter of the bolt. For the XC90 DS bolts it equates to 50Nm, this might not be true for torque bolts used elsewhere on the car, so it is important to use the correct tightening method, in another bolt tightening exercise the final tension achieved might be considerably higher or lower, resulting in the premature failure of the bolt, or the bolt working loose during normal use. This sometimes occurs when grease is incorrectly used on wheel bolts, the resulting tension on the threads can be significantly higher even though the torque wrench may have been set to the correct torque - the result is a damaged thread leading to premature failure. (Wheel bolts are not torque bolts!)

Whatever you do - do not re-torque the bolts by slackening and the retighening.
Having once been stretched or torqued, torque bolts must be replaced with new ones, because the correct tension cannot be achieved for the safe use of the bolt. This statement is simply cautionary advice NOT CRITICISM

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:40   #208
ASt85
Premier Member

Default PS - not a purist

As a PS - I ought to add that I not a purist in terms of "how to's" for any job.

The primary importance with these DS bolts is ultimate achievable safety i.e. the way specified in the manufacturer's workshop manual - it would also comply with insurers requirements re best practice' i.e. standard means of achieving a specified bolt's security

Last edited by ASt85; Jun 27th, 2012 at 11:49. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 13:30   #209
daddypruds68

Unhappy

Wow.......glad i asked!!! Bit frightened to do the job now. Flippin' heck!!

Ian
daddypruds68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 17:04   #210
SourDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypruds68 View Post
Wow.......glad i asked!!! Bit frightened to do the job now. Flippin' heck!!

Ian
Not really, just torque to 35Nm then a final twist by 90 deg. Dead easy!
SourDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SourDiesel For This Useful Post: