Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New pride & joy

Views : 76220

Replies : 301

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:10   #201
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Woohoo! Passed the MoT today.

Just two advisories:

1) A small tear in one of the front tyres. I'd had two new front tyres the other week, but moved them to the rear, so the front is now wearing two budget tyres from the back. I want to wear out the budgets (which will happen quickly on the front!) and put decent branded tyres on them, so I'm not worried about the tear, it's only small and is only an advisory.

2) O/S headlight slightly cloudy. Yeah, tell me about it! I have already replaced the N/S headlamp (courtesy of gdphillips!) because it had a seriously dull reflector, and while the driver's side isn't great, it works OK and again is only an advisory. I'll replace it though, if I can find one with a decent reflector.

While it was in there I asked them to re-gas the aircon. I didn't have much hope of it working, and sure enough the machine confirmed a leak. They didn't have time to fill it with oxygen-free Nitrogen with a dye to trace the leak, but said I can book it in in the next week or so and they'll supply me with a courtesy car while it's in. Didn't change me for the aircon work today, so I'm well happy. I will indeed book it in when I can, certainly before any proper hot weather comes.

So, happy days!

Cheers
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 15:10   #202
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

GOOD ONE Luxo ... Chuffed t bits fer ya ... all that work has really paid off mate ..

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 13:40   #203
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Got a load cover for the "Flying Brick" over the weekend - £50 from an e-bay seller, via a friend. Well happy with that, looks good and will be handy:

Car's off to have the air-con fixed on Wednesday, I'll update with the result - but I'm predicting a replacement condensor will be needed, and who knows what else!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:19   #204
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Well, I was right - they found the leak in the aircon system, it is indeed the condensor, the car goes back in next Wednesday to have a new one fitted. At least I know it'll all come apart easily, as I've recently had the whole rad assembly out!

Anyway, on to other news:

Inspired by Paul240480, I decided to replace the engine steady rubber bush. This is the old one in situ:

It seemed to be working OK, I didn't have any symptoms, but it looks a bit shonky and so I ordered a polybush replacement, direct from SuperFlex - £34 delivered. Here it is:

First thing is to take out the central mounting bolt - 15mm at one end and 13mm at the other, it's tight but came out easily.

The bracket can be lifted up and slightly sideways and rested on the top of the bush mount while you change the bush, I found there was no need to undo the rear part of the steady arm.

Then it's necessary to remove the old bush. These are a tight fit, and unless you want to use the old one it's easiest to cut it out. The outer ring that needs cutting is plastic, so it didn't take long, about 2 minutes. This is my weapon of choice, making sure not to cut through the metal!

As soon as there's a single hacksaw cut all the way through, that's enough to release the pressure and it simply slides out. Actually, once out I could inspect the old bush in detail, and the main rubber shock absorbing bit inside was in fact quite sound, only the thin interconnecting rubber bit had split. However, it was "well used" so more than happy to replace it. Here we are with the old bush out and ready to fit the new one:

Then open the small sachet of lube provided with the new bush, and give it a smear all over the mating surfaces and the metal tube that goes through the centre. Then pop the bush in and slide the metal tube through the centre. The new bush is marked with a notch that goes at the top, as the centre hole is actually a little offset. Here we are with the metal tube inserted half way:

Then I gave it all a wipe over with a rag to remove excess lube, popped the bolt back in and did it up as tight as I could, and here we are job done!

I'd strongly recommend using a Polybush to replace this bush, as it can be slid in from the side really easily and avoids having to take the whole bracket out. Now I'm not a fast worker by any means, but this job took me 20 minutes from start to finish, including photos and getting the tools out and putting everything away again - simple!

Comments etc. welcome - I'll post more when there's more news!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:47   #205
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Lux...

I was always under the impression that you had to "Release the Weight" off the mount first (By Jacking the engine slightly...)

Did you not have to do this ??? TBH if yer didn't I'll do mine next week (only thing that was stopping me was the lack of a "Decent Rolly Jack" to go under the engine...)

I (STUPIDLY) lent mine to a mate & its now in St Helier (Jersey) so the chances of getting it back are pretty slim!!!!!

Keith

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Apr 17th, 2011 at 11:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:54   #206
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Lux...

I was always under the impression that you had to "Release the Weight" off the mount first (By Jacking the engine slightly...)

Did you not have to do this ??? TBH if yer didn't I'll do mine next week
Keith, no, the rear arm bush is quite flexible and can go up and down a fair bit - as you can see, I lifted it up enough so that the arm was resting on top of the front bush housing. This being the case, I can't see how there's any need to raise or support the engine at all. This bush and arm assembly is to stop the engine rocking backwards and forwards, it has no "vertical" function, so I guess we all know what you're doing next week!

Cheers
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:02   #207
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Keith, no, the rear arm bush is quite flexible and can go up and down a fair bit - as you can see, I lifted it up enough so that the arm was resting on top of the front bush housing. This being the case, I can't see how there's any need to raise or support the engine at all. This bush and arm assembly is to stop the engine rocking backwards and forwards, it has no "vertical" function, so I guess we all know what you're doing next week!

Cheers
Got the "superflex site" open in another window as we speak Luxo..

Your Engine is a b5234 (2319 CC) aint it ???...

Correct part No is ...SF423-1820K (Am I correct with that mate ????)

Keith
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:02   #208
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

+1 on what LB said, good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:09   #209
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

I put the rubber one in mine when I first got it and it was an absolute ba@tard to do and if it goes again it will get a poly' bush!! Is there any extra vibration Luxo'?
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 12:22   #210
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy north face View Post
I put the rubber one in mine when I first got it and it was an absolute ba@tard to do and if it goes again it will get a poly' bush!! Is there any extra vibration Luxo'?
Nothing on mine since poly bushing it. I understand the diesel models suffer a bit though .
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: