Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 Auto V70 Engine Runs Like a Pile of Rocks

Views : 24958

Replies : 232

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:27   #201
Pozzouk

Default Erratic at 3 O'clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozzouk View Post
It seems that as soon as the temperature comes upto the 3 Oclock position and the car comes to a stop at lights or a junction it goes lumpy and the revs become slightly erattic.
Morning Guys,

I bet some may have hoped to have heard the last of this one but:

Having sorted many issues with this motor and having survived what at one point seemed an inevitable trip to the scrap yard, due in no small part to a totally incompetent local main dealer the car now runs great.......except for:

The original problem that i had back last summer - Namely as quoted above - Give the car 15 minutes of school run for example and once the temperature gauge gets to 3 O'clock, more often than not she starts to run all lumpy jumpy and erratic when at idle.

If the car is then given a few miles of clear run on say a motorway and thus the temperature comes down to say the 4 O'clock position the problem more often than not has cleared itself.........the problem only manifests itself at idle and never stalls the engine.

Any Ideas???????
Pozzouk.
Pozzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:21   #202
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozzouk View Post
If the car is then given a few miles of clear run on say a motorway and thus the temperature comes down to say the 4 O'clock position the problem more often than not has cleared itself.........the problem only manifests itself at idle and never stalls the engine.

Any Ideas???????
Pozzouk.
That should definately not happen. Once the temperature guage has got to the 3 o'clock position (which it should do within 2 miles/4 minutes of driving) it should stay there, irrespective of whether you are in a traffic jam or blasting down a motorway, or any other type of driving. It should stay rock steady at 3 o'clock, i.e. needle horizontal.

I'd say your thermostat is definately faulty - luckily seems to be stuck in a wide open position, so at least you're not overheating. I don't know if you've changed it yet, but in anay event I'd change it again because this is definately not right. If you want to make sure you've got a good quality thermostat to put in the car, get a Volvo one - cheapest will be from Rufe at FRF Swansea on this forum.

I'm not saying it will or will not clear the lumpy running problem, but it's not right so I'd definately solve that problem first before doing anything else, as it will confuse the diagnosis of any other issues you may have.

HTH Cheers
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:22   #203
ajm
Master Member

I don't think the temperature gauge should dip back down to the four O'Clock position - if it is, I'd think there's something not quite right. The thermostat might be a bit sticky I suppose.

Actually, the guage on my S70 has been doing something similar for the past few months - I replaced the thermostat when I bought the car about four years ago as it was stuck open and from then till near the end of last year, the gauge has always sat rock steady on the horizontal once up to temp (as did my 850 before).
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 17:38   #204
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have you still got the P1671/2 code?

Have you changed the inlet cam position valve?

As has been said, your thermostat also seems to be faulty.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 22:27   #205
Pozzouk

Default 3 O'Clock Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Have you still got the P1671/2 code?

Have you changed the inlet cam position valve?

As has been said, your thermostat also seems to be faulty.
*P1671/2 have never shown up again since i solved the Gearbox issue, so i presume only cropped up due to the miss-running of the entire system.....i'm only guessing.

*No I have not changed the valve as Volvo dealer told me it was fine - but they have been wrong about virtually everything else!

*I hear the Thermostat problem - obviously now mentioned it should stay constant so will replace in the next 48 hours.

*However, I did find a code for the first time in ages yesterday - although no dash light showing and that was P0080.

ATB Pozzouk.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:14   #206
960kg
Premier Member

As said above ,you may have a thermostat problem, there are three so make sure you get the correct one for your motor N/A 90 degrees, Turbo 87 degrees or Diesel 92 degrees!

It is always best to get the quality Volvo thermostat at virtually the same price as a chinese copy.

The Temp.Guage can move to the 4 o`clock position from 3 o`clock and does so when the engine or thermostat control cannot overcome the ambient temperature.

When living in Hove Sussex the M23 ran more or less North /South and i worked in Caterham so travelled both ways everyday 8hrs apart.

In winter with a freezing North head wind the temp. gauge could only manage 4 o`clock and the cabin was quite cold due to lack of heat on the way home the freezing wind was up the back of the car with exactly the opposite results 3 o`clock on the guage and a hot cabin!

I don`t suppose many of you remember but that was the reason old school cars had radiator blinds to pull up to regulate the cold air to the radiator in winter for hotter running.

But also there are modern motors that have an extra plastic bumper piece that blocks the wide hole in the lower front bumper in winter to the same effect.....eg: S40 1.8 GDI
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 17:09   #207
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

P0080 = Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit High (Bank 1)

Which seems strange as I though the valve was on the inlet cam, however this does still point to a cam timing issue.

Maybe worth measuring the resistance of the control solenoid when the engine is cold and again when hot, it could be going open circuit at higher engine temperatures.

It may also maybe worth disconnecting it and seeing what fault code is logged, this would help confirm what is causing the fault code.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 09:57   #208
Pozzouk

Default Temperature Related????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post

The Temp.Gauge can move to the 4 o`clock position from 3 o`clock and does so when the engine or thermostat control cannot overcome the ambient temperature.
I sure don't want to turn away good advice and will be changing the stat today but i think 960kg has this right and the recent cold draught up the nose was forcing the temperature down - this in turn then causes some sort of reset as the temp level is forced down.

Basically.........The car does not overheat of that i'm certain - I know this from my experience with the Autel code reader giving me a live data view of precedings from when i was convinced there was a problem with the fan.......To actually get to 105°C the car has to be left idling for 10-15 minutes and then the fan kicks in as it should with the gauge showing 3 O'Clock.

The reason i mention the above is that i'm convinced my problem is temperature related but only occurs in a driving situation........like letting the car run on the hard standing does not seem to replicate the rough running, although if i left her to get to full operating temperature and then drove of down the road, the first roundabout i came to would have her "running like rocks" although sometimes worse than others. Another no no would be in stop start traffic........now that is a nightmare!

Sorry so long - i just have to get to the bottom of this!!!!!

Cheers Pozzouk.

PS. 960kg, I don't like the sound of those school cars they sound like the Charabancs my Great Granny told me about ;o))
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:08   #209
Pozzouk

Default Cam Shaft Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
P0080 = Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit High (Bank 1)

Which seems strange as I though the valve was on the inlet cam, however this does still point to a cam timing issue.

Maybe worth measuring the resistance of the control solenoid when the engine is cold and again when hot, it could be going open circuit at higher engine temperatures.

It may also maybe worth disconnecting it and seeing what fault code is logged, this would help confirm what is causing the fault code.
Cheers Chris,

If it stops raining today i'll have a go at those suggestions - Only how do i go about testing for resistance of that solenoid (yes do have a meter just not to brilliant at using it) and for that matter does anyone know what that resistance should be?????

Oh, and am i right in thinking that it would be a no no to start the engine with that solenoid disconnected????

Regards Pozzouk.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:30   #210
Christerart
VOC Member

I just joined this forum, having bought a low mileage 2000 C70 LPT couple (which so far runs perfectly) and I can't believe how many amazingly helpful people there have been/are in this thread - *and* what a frustrating time Pozzouk is having - feel for you.

My last Volvo before this one was a '92 940 SE auto which had 310,000 miles on the odometer with only regular service done to it when I sold it in the fall of 2009 back in Arizona. Never failed me once doing daily 70 mile commute in temps up to 50C with the A/C and fans running at full blast..=*^)

Hope you get it sorted, Pozzouk.

Cheers,

Christer
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote