Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 934044

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2022, 16:28   #2001
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you Andrew, but you have lost me there: is selling a V70 R (some Volvo model I'm guessing?) for £1,500 a good thing or a bad thing?
I checked the eBay selling history of the guy with the GLE for sale . A year or so ago he sold a V70R for £1500!

A Volvo V70 R is a very nice model. Usually.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 16:43   #2002
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I checked the eBay selling history of the guy with the GLE for sale . A year or so ago he sold a V70R for £1500!

A Volvo V70 R is a very nice model. Usually.
Ah! So you mean he sells motor cars right at the bottom of the market?

Do you think this chap is a dealer (has he sold lots of motors)?
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 17:12   #2003
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Ah! So you mean he sells motor cars right at the bottom of the market?

Do you think this chap is a dealer (has he sold lots of motors)?
No, there’s no evidence of much selling at all, good feedback. I just thought I’d have a look, to get a fuller picture. I’m a bit ,” dog with a bone” , sometimes.

Thing is , I had two coffin nosed models , I think they have a “ presence “.

If it was twenty miles away I’d have look , purely out of nosiness!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 18:22   #2004
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
No, there’s no evidence of much selling at all, good feedback. I just thought I’d have a look, to get a fuller picture. I’m a bit ,” dog with a bone” , sometimes.

Thing is , I had two coffin nosed models , I think they have a “ presence “.

If it was twenty miles away I’d have look , purely out of nosiness!
The seller has replied and appears to be genuine:

You set me quite a challenge for the uninitiated in matters of engines. I consulted the handbook and discovered the engine number is stamped behind the distributor car. That proved somewhat inconvenient as sticking my head down there while trying to keep my glasses on resulted in my only being able to make out that there is a number there but even after cleaning my glasses I could not make it out. The log book has the engine number on it as 0003889 but I cannot find a plate on the car with the engine number on it. I did find the VIN number which matches each plate and logbook and the car build number plate was quoted by the original dealer as the first entry in the service book. There is no evidence that I can see that an engine swap has occurred and the car drives fabulously smoothly.

The logbook also bears the legend that the car is in fact a Volvo 244 GLE. The handbook has a pictorial of the engine bay with number points detailed. This is a carburettor version. The book goes on to list a number of engines specifications including the B23a which appears to be a carburettor version. The injection models seem to be numbered B19E, B21E,B21ET and B23E. The car has GLE badges on the radiator and boot lid and on the steering wheel and on the logbook.

... so, either the seller knows exactly what has happened and is playing it slightly dumb so not as to perjure himself, or else he really doesn't know what is going on.

I have a feeling he knows a bit more than he is letting on at the mo: pointing out that it says GLE on the logbook (maybe a mistake, or perhaps someone changed it) and the 3 badges was perhaps knowing too much for someone with no knowledge of what has happened in the past.

I've asked the seller for a photo of where the inlet manifold meets the head, I should be able to see from there whether it started life as an 'A' or 'E' model.

So, whether the seller knows about this or not, the fact remains that it is either:
a. A GL with some GLE badges and a mistake in the logbook, or...

b. A GLE where someone has either changed the motor/the cylinder head, manifold and carburettor to a B23a/bunged the FI inlets the inlet manifold and carburettor to a B23A.
If I bought the motor car I'm sure I could work out which of the above is correct, but the fact remains that either way it is non-genuine, and everyone will know that instantly (the CI being the defining feature of the GLE model).

Any thoughts?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 12th, 2022 at 19:25. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 18:33   #2005
Bob 1967
Master Member

If you fancy something with just a bit more oomph (more likely 00 mpg!)....
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1469569

Other cars are available of course on C and C

for example ..
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1482603

Last edited by Bob 1967; Aug 12th, 2022 at 18:37.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 18:36   #2006
Moomoo
VOC Member

I guess if it were HIS Grandad’s motor that would be the clincher.

Genuine sale.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 19:05   #2007
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I guess if it were HIS Grandad’s motor that would be the clincher.

Genuine sale.
Good point Andrew,

The seller implies (although he doesn't explicitly state) the motor car has been owned by the same family from new. I doubt that is the case because the early entries made it clear it was a company car (unless it was Grandpop's company where he was the MD and he bought it when he retired - a long shot I think).

I do quite like the look of this motor and can see it as RB2: a good project that might result in a nice motor car by next spring.

I just want to seller to be candid with me; I think he knows exactly what happened and whether it is a GL or a GLE, but he isn't letting on. That is the only thing that is irritating me at the mo, the GLE/GL bit doesn't matter so much in that I have an engine that would fix the issue sitting outside.

I'll see what the seller comes back with. This motor car has been on sale for a long time and isn't going to sell any time soon if he insists on calling it a GLE with a carburettor.

:-)
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 19:34   #2008
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Good point Andrew,

The seller implies (although he doesn't explicitly state) the motor car has been owned by the same family from new. I doubt that is the case because the early entries made it clear it was a company car (unless it was Grandpop's company where he was the MD and he bought it when he retired - a long shot I think).

I do quite like the look of this motor and can see it as RB2: a good project that might result in a nice motor car by next spring.

I just want to seller to be candid with me; I think he knows exactly what happened and whether it is a GL or a GLE, but he isn't letting on. That is the only thing that is irritating me at the mo, the GLE/GL bit doesn't matter so much in that I have an engine that would fix the issue sitting outside.

I'll see what the seller comes back with. This motor car has been on sale for a long time and isn't going to sell any time soon if he insists on calling it a GLE with a carburettor.

I suppose the car is the car , regardless of story. Just a pity it’s too far to check it!
I’ve quizzed him , no reply yet.

I’ll let you know.🧐
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 20:11   #2009
Moomoo
VOC Member

The gentleman has replied to me .

The car was bought from a farmer who stopped using the car in 2015 and since the death of his wife the car garage needed to be emptied to allow the property sale.

Seems straight enough! NOW!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 20:50   #2010
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The gentleman has replied to me .

The car was bought from a farmer who stopped using the car in 2015 and since the death of his wife the car garage needed to be emptied to allow the property sale.

Seems straight enough! NOW!
Well, yes it does, but why did it take so long to get to a plausible answer? The ad implied the motor car had been in the seller's family since new and it had been the property of 'Grandpa' (I suppose he probably was someone's grandpa - just not the seller's):

I'd be much more comfortable with the seller if he had been candid in the first place.

I haven't heard back from the seller with a photo of the cylinder head yet. I hope he does reply as I'm quite interested.

This doesn't leave us one iota closer to knowing whether the motor car is a GL or a GLE. It could be the farmer either bought some GLE badges for his Volvo 30 years ago when he realised DVLA had made a mistake on the V5, or perhaps the K-Jetronic failed, he was too tight to fix it and so fitted a carburettor from a B21a. It could also be that our friend the seller did one of those things when he bought the motor car from the farmer last year but isn't letting on. Perhaps he thought no one would notice the carburettor on a 244 GLE?!!!

I'll see what chumney comes back with. The ad ends on Sunday, but I don't think that matters: I don't think it will sell (unless I buy it) so we'll see another ad next week.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 12th, 2022 at 20:57.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: