Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need help diagnosing engine running rough

Views : 10874

Replies : 239

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2022, 14:29   #191
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Mine is the exact same in that it seems to forget the 850rpm idle after the 1st stop, but I've found if I stop for about 5 seconds it will go back down to 850 and stay there from then on.
The issue is that mine doesn't. It takes like 30 mins to 1h of riding it for it to "normalize". The other day it was doing it. I then parked at the shopping mall, when to eat and when I came back to the car not long after, it was idling normal. Well, it has a misfire, but that's another issue. What I mean by normal is that it was back at 900.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 16:17   #192
SalvadorP
Master Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKp-ATW23k
I decided to try to unplug the IAC valve while idling. I read conflicting info on what is supposed to happen/not happen when you do so. So I'm not sure whether or not this means that something can be wrong with it. I guess if there is something wrong in regards to the IAC it could also be a fuse right?
Today I ran the car to shoot this video, it was already afternoon and it hasn't been raining. The car idled at 900, granted, with the misfire, but not anything weird like 1500rpm or sudden surges.

I had an Opel Corsa, my first car, it would act up everytime it rained or the air was humid. I spent a lot of time an money trying to solve that issue. Ended up selling the car cheap to a friend who needed a ride and he put on a new distributor (or maybe just cap and rotor) and the car gave him a few good years, until his untimely death, unfortunately.
Anyway, my point is that I can't avoid drawing similarities between the symptoms of the 2 cars. But since I cleaned the cap and rotor and it made absolutely no difference, I'm kinda trying other options first. Then again, if it is the distributor itself, cleaning the parts wouldn't have made a difference.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/2yKp-ATW23k[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by SalvadorP; Mar 16th, 2022 at 16:19.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 16:50   #193
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKp-ATW23k
I decided to try to unplug the IAC valve while idling. I read conflicting info on what is supposed to happen/not happen when you do so. So I'm not sure whether or not this means that something can be wrong with it. I guess if there is something wrong in regards to the IAC it could also be a fuse right?
Today I ran the car to shoot this video, it was already afternoon and it hasn't been raining. The car idled at 900, granted, with the misfire, but not anything weird like 1500rpm or sudden surges.

I had an Opel Corsa, my first car, it would act up everytime it rained or the air was humid. I spent a lot of time an money trying to solve that issue. Ended up selling the car cheap to a friend who needed a ride and he put on a new distributor (or maybe just cap and rotor) and the car gave him a few good years, until his untimely death, unfortunately.
Anyway, my point is that I can't avoid drawing similarities between the symptoms of the 2 cars. But since I cleaned the cap and rotor and it made absolutely no difference, I'm kinda trying other options first. Then again, if it is the distributor itself, cleaning the parts wouldn't have made a difference.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/2yKp-ATW23k[/YOUTUBE]
That sounds horribly like the throttle butterfly is flowing too much air, it should have dropped the engine speed to 6-700rpm when you unplugged the IACV. That is assuming the IACV is working as it should be, however the raised idle (1500rpm) suggests it is working.

Out of curiosity, what year was the Corsa you mention? Some later cars had the LH-Jetronic, many earlier cars did not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 17:06   #194
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That sounds horribly like the throttle butterfly is flowing too much air, it should have dropped the engine speed to 6-700rpm when you unplugged the IACV. That is assuming the IACV is working as it should be, however the raised idle (1500rpm) suggests it is working.

Out of curiosity, what year was the Corsa you mention? Some later cars had the LH-Jetronic, many earlier cars did not.
When you say "flowing too much air" do you mean it probably needs adjustment or would it be another issue?
I recorded a video of the car idling. But the camera was set inside the car and I was outside with the microphone at the engine bay. Turns out sound levels were too high, so the sound is actually ruined. I'll record again tomorrow with proper levels so you guys can hear what the car sounds like.

It was a 94 Corsa.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 18:03   #195
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
When you say "flowing too much air" do you mean it probably needs adjustment or would it be another issue?
I recorded a video of the car idling. But the camera was set inside the car and I was outside with the microphone at the engine bay. Turns out sound levels were too high, so the sound is actually ruined. I'll record again tomorrow with proper levels so you guys can hear what the car sounds like.

It was a 94 Corsa.
Probably needs adjusting but you'll also have to adjust the idle switch afterwards - in fact if the idle switch isn't adjusted correctly that can also cause this problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 18:21   #196
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Probably needs adjusting but you'll also have to adjust the idle switch afterwards - in fact if the idle switch isn't adjusted correctly that can also cause this problem.
What's the proper way to go about it? Does it have a marked position or is there a way to know the best/proper adjustment?
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 19:40   #197
griston64
Premier Member

Think I've already asked this question but have you cleaned the throttle body ?

I don't mean by spraying a bit of carb cleaner up there but removing it and cleaning it properly

That's 130k's worth of gunk

Last edited by griston64; Mar 16th, 2022 at 19:44.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 20:24   #198
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Think I've already asked this question but have you cleaned the throttle body ?

I don't mean by spraying a bit of carb cleaner up there but removing it and cleaning it properly

That's 130k's worth of gunk
I sprayed in there but honestly it is pretty clean. It looked spotless really, that's why I did not clean it properly. Didn't think it was worth it

My butterfly looks like yours after you cleaned it, to be honest.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 05:42   #199
c1800
Master Member

Any update?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 15:37   #200
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default How much for cleaning 4 injectors?

So after giving up on this issue, because I was tired of chasing after it, I got back to trying to solve it.

Next on my list of things to do is checking injectors. I did the screwdriver sound tst while back and they are firing, but they may be clogged.
So I have 2 routes, either I clean them myself or a have them professionaly cleaned.
I wasn't in the mood for another diy project so I called a shop nearby and asked how much it was to test and clean 4 injectors. No instalations/uninstalation. To my surprise, they quoted me on 89€ (i'm pretty sure plus taxes). wtf i didn't know how much it would cost but 90 bucks is wildly of.

What do you say? How much would you pay/charge for that service?