Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 142

Views : 129267

Replies : 265

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2023, 17:24   #191
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The radiator crossmember was knackered so made a start on it today and also the outer sides of the chassis rails will need replacing too. Hopefully get it welded in tomorrow. Simon at Brookhouse got me a NOS crossmember from someone local to him thankfully.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 15:52   #192
142 Guy
Master Member

Nice looking fabrication for the cross member. It is interesting where the various 140s 'decide' to rust. The radiator cross member on my 1971 was pretty much pristine. On my 140, the inner fender area just back from the headlights (where you have the grey primer) was Swiss cheese. I had to cut out big sections and hammer weld in replacements. The attachment points on the inner fender for the hood hinges also required reconstructive surgery.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Apr 29th, 2023 at 15:54.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 18:14   #193
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Nice looking fabrication for the cross member. It is interesting where the various 140s 'decide' to rust. The radiator cross member on my 1971 was pretty much pristine. On my 140, the inner fender area just back from the headlights (where you have the grey primer) was Swiss cheese. I had to cut out big sections and hammer weld in replacements. The attachment points on the inner fender for the hood hinges also required reconstructive surgery.
I've a feeling i'm suffering from inhaling flux-core MIG fumes but what is this technique of "hammer weld" please?

Just been welding the rear sills on my 99 S Type (rocker panels your side of the pond) and i couldn't work out why Jaguar seem to have created the inner sill from several pieces, alternately overlaid (_-_-_-_ diagramatic representation of what i mean) pieces all spot welded together to create a one-piece inner sill (is the inner sill called the inner rocker in your neck of the woods?) which seems to have arrested the flow of the tinworm after the 3rd section from the back.

If it was intentional, absolutely briiliant, if it wasn't, it's serendipity!

I'm recreating the repair panel using similar techniques but for our MoT it has to be continuously welded, even if it's not visible - i hope by seam welding it i'm not re-introducing the path for the tinworm!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 18:21   #194
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Bit tired and slow going but the near side chassis rail repair tacked in and rad crossmember and front panel fit checked. Just a few holes to drill tomorrow for plug welds and I can then weld it in.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 18:24   #195
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've a feeling i'm suffering from inhaling flux-core MIG fumes but what is this technique of "hammer weld" please?

Just been welding the rear sills on my 99 S Type (rocker panels your side of the pond) and i couldn't work out why Jaguar seem to have created the inner sill from several pieces, alternately overlaid (_-_-_-_ diagramatic representation of what i mean) pieces all spot welded together to create a one-piece inner sill (is the inner sill called the inner rocker in your neck of the woods?) which seems to have arrested the flow of the tinworm after the 3rd section from the back.

If it was intentional, absolutely briiliant, if it wasn't, it's serendipity!

I'm recreating the repair panel using similar techniques but for our MoT it has to be continuously welded, even if it's not visible - i hope by seam welding it i'm not re-introducing the path for the tinworm!
You can plug or spot weld it in if replacing a whole section as per the original. Only patches need to be fully welded.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 18:29   #196
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
You can plug or spot weld it in if replacing a whole section as per the original. Only patches need to be fully welded.
It's patches i'm doing, the rest of the sills forward from about 7-8" from the rear wheelarch are fine.

Must admit, even with just the first section of inner sill (the one that connects the floorpan to the inner wheelarch - the other section connects the floorpan to the inner edge of the outer wheelarch and forms part of the inner wheelarch) its already a hell of a lot stronger!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 18:30   #197
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
There’s lots of areas on the 140s that collect water and muck. There’s been a couple of patch over repairs on mine. I was just planning on replacing the crossmember until I cut the crossmember out and could see the chassis rail sides needed fixing too. The old girl has been used and repaired over the years so good she’s still going. This is nearly the last of the welding hopefully, couple of wee repairs on the lower inner wings to do as well. As always she didn’t look to bad until you start digging.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 00:27   #198
142 Guy
Master Member

Hammer welding is fussy. It is an oxy - acetylene torch technique that creates a butt / flush weld between two panels. You butt the two panels together, heat the butt joint up to just below melting and then hammer and dolly the joint together. A good practitioner can do it without filler rod - not me. Getting thin sheet metal panels butted and held in position during the process is misery. I did it to replace the rusted out sections on the inside fenders behind the headlights and never again - way too much work.

You can do hammer welding with MIG and TIG, using a hammer to flatten the bead; but, it probably does not work as well as with gas. Most people probably just tack and grind.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 00:43   #199
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hammer welding is fussy. It is an oxy - acetylene torch technique that creates a butt / flush weld between two panels. You butt the two panels together, heat the butt joint up to just below melting and then hammer and dolly the joint together. A good practitioner can do it without filler rod - not me. Getting thin sheet metal panels butted and held in position during the process is misery. I did it to replace the rusted out sections on the inside fenders behind the headlights and never again - way too much work.

You can do hammer welding with MIG and TIG, using a hammer to flatten the bead; but, it probably does not work as well as with gas. Most people probably just tack and grind.
Thanks for explaining that! I'd not heard of it and wondered if i had misunderstood and you were panel beating some new panels to fit then welding them in.

I'm firmly in the school of thought of gasless MIG, tack, tack and tack again and again until i have a continuous bead then grind, inspect for holes and weld them, grind, inspect etc until no holes exist and the weld is invisible.

Well as invisible as i can get it anyway!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 30th, 2023 at 00:44. Reason: Missing words
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 08:00   #200
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I do that with Tig or oxy. If you can get behind a panel it is the best way to weld thin metal. Thin metal distorts when welding because it shrinks at the weld so you hammer and dolly the weld to stretch the weld and this removes the distortion. Tig and oxy have a soft weld unlike mig which is hard so much harder to hammer and dolly a mig weld and it’s more prone to cracking. Mig you have to minimise the distortion, oxy and Tig you can remove it.

Last edited by Burdekin; Apr 30th, 2023 at 08:03.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post: