Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Replace the Alarm Siren Module

Views : 54151

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 20:55   #11
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Yes - it's a 2001 V70. But as far as I know, the siren is the same on all
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 21:06   #12
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Talking Great forum - great advice!

Thanks guys, these forums are a real life saver. My V70 2003 se 2wd auto alarm had done all the misbehaving listed, going off at random, then no sound, then sunroof stopped working... etc

Bought Alarm kit via Rufe (thanks very much - excellent service) a month ago, not able to find time until this morning. Swapped it out in a bout an hour following the threads on here and Bingo!

Alarm works, sunroof works, annoying messages all gone. FANTASTIC!

Only downer was I found a screw slap in the middle of the tyre.... but even that could have deflated at speed later in the day if I hadn't done this alarm work, so thats one more thing I owe this forum.

Keep up the good knowledge base - soon Volvo will come asking here for advice!
RaVolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaVolvoR For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 17:53   #13
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Thank you swedishandgerman for a great post.
I followed your instructions to the letter to cure the same problem, but i got a little braver, and following another thread dissambled the module.
The thread I had looked at suggested that the heart of the problem was that the back-up battery within the module had failed, and that there could be a fix by simply changing out the lithium battery, but be warned if the battery has leaked, forget it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I opened the unit up.
Sure enough the battery had leaked everywhere, corroding through the electronic parts and eating all the copper tracks. Pics attached.
If it goes home, just replace it.
And be carefull if you open it, and have some bi-carbonate of soda to hand if you do.

Note in first picture that the negative wire has compeletly corroded away from the lithium battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 component parts.jpg (216.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg circuit board.jpg (209.5 KB, 168 views)
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:36   #14
Mikeetubster

Hi Guys,

I have something similar to this, I have an "Alarm system service required" message on my '53 V70. I've tested alarm and the lights flashed, but no sound, so I'm assuming it's the siren that's gone. My concern is that I'm told I need to get the siren kit replaced by Volvo as they need to re-code the alarm, is this the case or can I just buy the kit and replace?

Another concern I have is that I'm driving down to Cornwall in a couple of days, will this issue cause any other problems? If the issue is leaking batteries then could it affect the immobiliser (if there is one). I can take the fuse out, and it doesn't appear to affect any other electrics. Very nervy about something happening While I'm 300 miles from home.

Cheers
Mikeetubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:42   #15
V70RMW
Master Member

I first got the Alarm System Failed message 2 years ago and have done precisely nothing about it. The immobiliser is an engine management system function I think and so should not be affected.

I've had no problems, other than the message come up every time the car is started - although I did remove the fuse a few months ago due to rumours that the car continually trying to contact a duff alarm unit might drain the battery.

I think the re-coding issue is probably just a scare tactic as I've not seen anyone post that this has actually been necessary.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 13:37   #16
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Mine didn't display any fault message on the dashboard when it went wrong. But I've read elsewhere that you don't need to get it re-set; the message will just go out when you have a fully working siren and the fuse is back in the hole.

I'm sure you don't have to get the job done by Volvo. Honestly, it's such an easy DIY job. Really, really easy to do.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 14:06   #17
Mikeetubster

Thanks guys,

Had a feeling it was Mr. Volvo picking my pocket. From what I've read it does look simple, so I'll do it when I return from Cornwall. But I'll keep the fuse out just to be on the safe side.
Where would be the best place to buy the siren kit?
Mikeetubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 15:42   #18
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I got mine from my local Volvo dealer and paid £81 having asked for ssome discount. I guess it's something that goes wrong frequently as it was off the shelf!

I notice others have bought from Rufe at FRF in Swansea.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 21:46   #19
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I got mine from my local Volvo dealer and paid £81 having asked for ssome discount. I guess it's something that goes wrong frequently as it was off the shelf!

I notice others have bought from Rufe at FRF in Swansea.
I bought mine from Rufe @ FRF.

To V70RMW, yes that's to same as mine, but as Mrs Nick44 is the main driver and she whinges incessantly about any messages, the whinge eventually became more irritating than the message.

With Swedishandgermans excellent "how to" it was a very easy job with the added beneift that Mrs Nick44 had to go out and leave me in peace while I did it.

Last edited by Nick44; Aug 3rd, 2010 at 21:48.
Nick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick44 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 14:04   #20
winkie 23
I've Been Banned

Default alarm siren

My siren did not work at all. Got a replacement kit from Rufe [excellent service] replaced the siren, without disconnecting the battery, and on completion the message was gone and the siren now works. I was also getting the emission service message [after filling up with the new Shell unleaded] I added injector cleaner to the next full tank and the message disappeared. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Both messages cme on at almost exactly 120000 miles and 10 years mark.

2000 new shape v70
winkie 23 is offline   Reply With Quote