Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remaped S80/XC90 T6

Views : 4833

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 17:49   #11
volvogoteborg

I see below Don Norchi is reading this post. Hello! I think this answers the questions you posted on Swedespeed about the current T5 getting the same upgrades as the RS with regards the plasma coating of the aluminium block before the cast iron liner is cast in. Answer, yes. Those upgrades are across the RN and RNC family.

The cracked liner issue is also relevant with regards peak temperatures in the D3 and D5 engines but those also use an 81mm bore.

Some sites suggest the RS has iron plasma coated liners, that isnt the case.
volvogoteborg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvogoteborg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:47   #12
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Well that's a pretty serious post, so I haven't rushed the reply!

It would be easy to exaggerate the scale of the liner cracking problem, and I certainly don't wish to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvogoteborg
Defects per production numbers is important here plus the fact R series owners are far far more vocal and active than others. Swedespeed for example has the R forum as its most busy and popular and yet in the same breath, US forum members will comment that the S60/V70R failed to sell in high numbers. The forum distorts the actual market presence.
While it is true that we have to consider production numbers and how active in the enthusiasts' scene the owners are likely to be...you must concede that we don't see these problems anything like as often with the 2.3 or 2.4 engines. I can't think that I'd ever heard of a 2.3 below 450bhp with cracked liners, whereas I know of several 2.5 Rs (both modified and standard) which have suffered liner problems. My opinion is that Volvo thought they were safe with the increased bore, and it has caught them out a little...hence the modifications to the RS engine.

I couldn't agree more about the route for high performance being a closed deck or sleeve conversion.

I'm not 100% sure on the T6 / 3.0 hybrid front, but this is the car in question:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=52060
and the engine build thread (which is mammoth)...
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=69171

My memory is that he used a B6304 head, and that appears to be what he says in the summary thread. I don't really have time to sift through 31 pages to confirm it right now!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:43   #13
volvogoteborg

Hello again,

I'd like to contact Poi to ask him but it seems I need to join Turbobricks to do so. It does sound like he fitted the 960 head to the T6 block.

The 960 would be an N series engine (or N3) whereas the T6 is an RN series with VVT. Other research shows the space between the cast liners is 0.6mm for the N series and 0.8 for the RN. I presumed that meant the heads and block are non-interchangable but given that the liner spacing is the same (and from Poi's experience they are?) means RN heads can go on N block and vice versa.

The RNC has a different cooling flow setup so its more than just an externally compact RN engine suitable for the smaller P1 (S40, V50, C70, C30) range. The 3rd gen V70 and the 2nd gen S80 all use the RNC 2.5 (called 2.5T and B5254T10) whereas the P1 cars get the RNC 2.5 T5 B5254T7, the 2,4 B5244S4 2.4i and the B5244S5 2.4. The 2.4 and 2.5 differ in that the 2.5 has a longer stroke. Both are 83mm bore.

I'm double checking that at the moment.... (if the larger cars use the RNC engine or not).

The Ford RS engine uses the RNC setup, R cams, potentially an RN R series equivalently upgraded RNC headgasket, Borg-Warner K16.

It would seem the improved cooling setup of the RNC engine also addresses risks to liners. The comments about the plasma coating of the liners is intruiging but proving difficult to verify. Lastly, the liners seem at risk in stock tune not from sole heat but a combination of heat and shock suggesting the fault is brought on by running unknowingly lean or a defect boost control.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 13:24   #14
volvogoteborg

Hello

It seems indeed the 2nd gen S80 and the 3rd gen V70 use the RNC 2.5. No current (2010) Volvo uses the RN engines.

The last of the P2 cars, the S60 and the XC90 used the RN engine. The last S60s had a 2.4, 2.5T (long stroke 2.4) and a T5. The 2.4 and 2.5T are 83mm but the T5 is 81mm. The R engine was a 2.5 83mm. The XC90 had a 2.5T shortly after launch and not after 2008 (volvo's media site doesnt list pre-2008 spec).

So another curve ball it to fit the Volvo RS engine to the S80