Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine oil for VEA

Views : 2721

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 16:06   #11
RS3100

One point you might want to bear in mind. When oil companies such as Optima state that their oil is "recommended for" or "meets" a particular vehicle manufacturer standard such as RBS0-2AE it means that the manufacturer of the oil either believes it meets the standard through their own testing, or is marketing it as such.

Where the oil carries the wording "approved to RBS0-2AE" or similar, the manufacturer has submitted their oil for testing to Volvo's required standard, at their own expense, and Volvo have approved the oil as meeting their requirements.

It is a (possibly) subtle difference, depending on the faith you have in the oil manufacturer, but worth bearing in mind.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 08:57   #12
gillypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
One point you might want to bear in mind. When oil companies such as Optima state that their oil is "recommended for" or "meets" a particular vehicle manufacturer standard such as RBS0-2AE it means that the manufacturer of the oil either believes it meets the standard through their own testing, or is marketing it as such.

Where the oil carries the wording "approved to RBS0-2AE" or similar, the manufacturer has submitted their oil for testing to Volvo's required standard, at their own expense, and Volvo have approved the oil as meeting their requirements.

It is a (possibly) subtle difference, depending on the faith you have in the oil manufacturer, but worth bearing in mind.
Agree. The data sheet doesn't give much away but the label says 'approved' but by who? I will have a look at my barrel to see if it gives any further information.

I have been using their oils in my D5 for >200k miles.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 10:05   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillypop View Post
Agree. The data sheet doesn't give much away but the label says 'approved' but by who? I will have a look at my barrel to see if it gives any further information.

I have been using their oils in my D5 for >200k miles.
The only oil " approved" for volvo VEA engines by volvo is Castrol
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 15:04   #14
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The only oil " approved" for volvo VEA engines by volvo is Castrol
I have the Castrol Edge approved Volvo for top up, but last service main dealer used Mobil Super 3000 VC. This oil claims to be designed to meet the Volvo Specification. So as you say not approved. I wonder if I should specify at next service that I only want the Volvo appoved Castrol Edge oil? Particularly when many have found the VEA such a touchy and sensitive engine?

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 15:09   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
I have the Castrol Edge approved Volvo for top up, but last service main dealer used Mobil Super 3000 VC. This oil claims to be designed to meet the Volvo Specification. So as you say not approved. I wonder if I should specify at next service that I only want the Volvo appoved Castrol Edge oil? Particularly when many have found the VEA such a touchy and sensitive engine?
It seems the Mobile meets the volvo specification they would fail their bi annual audit if they were using the wrong oil ..

https://lubes.mobil.com/UK-English-L...-vc-0w-20.aspx
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 16:36   #16
RS3100

I have to slightly disagree with Clan. I looked quite deeply into the business of approvals a while ago in respect of suitable oil for another motor manufacturer's vehicles.

If an oil container or data sheet has "approved to Volvo RBS0 2AE" marked on it, the oil manufacturer has submitted it for independent testing through an industry recognised body, and Volvo will have issued a letter of compliance allowing the oil vendor to claim the approval. Oil manufacturers are only able to claim approval if this process has been successfully followed, and I'm pretty sure that with Volvo being known to be proactive in protecting their commercial trademarks and interests, that any false claims would also be swiftly dealt with.

Volvo's owners manuals "recommend" Castrol oil, but when they state which engine oil "must" be used, they say "an approved engine oil" to the correct grade, which they define as "Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W20".

So an oil approved to RBS0-2AE 0W20 meets Volvo's requirements.

Any engine oil which is described by the manufacturer as "recommended for" or "meets" the Volvo specification might also be suitable, but it is a leap of faith, because the oil has not been independently tested or approved by Volvo to the required standard and the claim is the oil manufacturer's alone.

You may be safe using an alternative oil from a recognised manufacturer with a good reputation, who claims compatibility, but personally I would always prefer to source an "approved" oil.

There is the situation with Fiat though, where they have only issued approval to one manufacturer for oils for their current commercial diesel engines - Petronas, whose oil they also "recommend" in their handbooks. But Shell manufacture an oil which they say "exceeds" the required Fiat specification, and interestingly although it has not been "approved" by Fiat, it is the oil which Fiat themselves recommend instead of Petronas in their North American market.

Confusing, isn't it
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 21:00   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have to slightly disagree with Clan. I looked quite deeply into the business of approvals a while ago in respect of suitable oil for another motor manufacturer's vehicles.

If an oil container or data sheet has "approved to Volvo RBS0 2AE" marked on it, the oil manufacturer has submitted it for independent testing through an industry recognised body, and Volvo will have issued a letter of compliance allowing the oil vendor to claim the approval. Oil manufacturers are only able to claim approval if this process has been successfully followed, and I'm pretty sure that with Volvo being known to be proactive in protecting their commercial trademarks and interests, that any false claims would also be swiftly dealt with.

Volvo's owners manuals "recommend" Castrol oil, but when they state which engine oil "must" be used, they say "an approved engine oil" to the correct grade, which they define as "Castrol Edge Professional V 0W20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W20".

Any engine oil which is described by the manufacturer as "recommended for" or "meets" the Volvo specification might also be suitable, but it is a leap of faith, because the oil has not been independently tested or approved by Volvo to the required standard and the claim is the oil manufacturer's alone.

You may be safe using an alternative oil from a recognised manufacturer with a good reputation, who claims compatibility, but personally I would always prefer to source an "approved" oil.

There is the situation with Fiat though, where they have only issued approval to one manufacturer for oils for their current commercial diesel engines - Petronas, whose oil they also "recommend" in their handbooks. But Shell manufacture an oil which they say "exceeds" the required Fiat specification, and interestingly although it has not been "approved" by Fiat, it is the oil which Fiat themselves recommend instead of Petronas in their North American market.

Confusing, isn't it
It is yes if you look too deeply into it , you cant go wrong if you stick to volvo recommendations though , it makes life easier 👍
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 22:09   #18
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It seems the Mobile meets the volvo specification they would fail their bi annual audit if they were using the wrong oil ..

https://lubes.mobil.com/UK-English-L...-vc-0w-20.aspx
Great thanks I’ll try and find that somewhere local £4 shipping on £9 of oil is daft really
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 21:53   #19
MadAlicesDad

I just bought 8x 1litre bottles of Castrol Edge V 0-20 delivered from Germany for just over £9 per litre. Enough for an oil change and the (far too regular) top ups...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-E...oAAOSwgGJeKw~j
MadAlicesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 22:36   #20
Craigtange

Quote:

If an oil container or data sheet has "approved to Volvo RBS0 2AE" marked on it, the oil manufacturer has submitted it for independent testing through an industry recognised body, and Volvo will have issued a letter of compliance allowing the oil vendor to claim the approval. Oil manufacturers are only able to claim approval if this process has been successfully followed, and I'm pretty sure that with Volvo being known to be proactive in protecting their commercial trademarks and interests Top Shopping Holidays, that any false claims would also be swiftly dealt with.

Confusing, isn't it
My Volvo specifies a 0w20 oil that meets RBSO-2AE. The car takes 5.2 liters of oil from empty and manufacturer OCI is 1 year or 18000miles although intend on halving this. Does anyone have any experience in using thicker oils in the Drive-E engines? My two concerns are the variable oil pump and the variable timing. What does the oil pump 'vary' on? Is it RPM, load or oil pressure? I'm a bit of a Fuchs fan, the majority of their oils are really keenly priced and they like their manufacturers approvals which to me mean a lot more than "Meets or Exceeds". My current fill Fuchs GT1 Pro V 0w20 is £9.87/litre making an oil change £51.32 plus oil filter. I run Fuchs GT1 XTL 5w40 in the other 7 cars I look after, it's a great 'universal' PCMO. It's an ACEA C3 lube with Dexos2, LL04, 502/505.01, 229.5, 229.31, RN0710 and Porsche A40 thrown in for good measure. It also costs me just £5.13/litre making an oil change just £26.68/litre plus oil filter which is much more reasonable. RBSO-2AE are mid-saps oil and they all seem to have a HTHS of 2.9 which is very high for a 0w20 oil. I'm thinking of doing 2x 9000mile/6 month OCI's with the 5w40 and getting an analysis done and seeing what it looks like. Anyone got any reasons I shouldn't give it a try?
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craigtange For This Useful Post: