Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Cars USA discontinues free vehicle software updates..

Views : 1702

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 19:34   #11
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Fortunately, Volvo software updates.dont deliberately slow down old models
Well we hope they don’t?
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 22:03   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Quacker, we're not talking the map updates etc- but rather the vehicle software patches etc- the kind of updates they were doing for free at annual service.. I fail to understand how can someone be charging me an hourly rate for patching the bugs and resolving issues with the product they sold me..
Yes I know that.
You would be surprised at the number of brands that don't bother with more than one, if any, software updates or bug fixes in a product's life. Many would just shrug their shoulders and call whatever the bug was, a 'characteristic' and send you on your way.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 22:09   #13
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
We are obviously all biased but one can argue we bought the car with whatever software was in it and they should only upgrade it for free when necessitated by warranty work.

What worries me is the trend. It points to saturated service network. They feel now they can squeeze the customers a bit and they are happy to lose a few of it increases margins and keeps the total positive. All these stellar sales last few years were pointing this way. They cannot afford to stop heavily discounting new cars as they need to keep production ticking over plus stock price will crater on any sign of sales plateau. So they cut support costs (or rather increase the charges to customers).

I think dealer network will struggle and it will get worse.
Well, if I'm not satisfied, and I'm quite easy going in this regard as long as they don't push their luck like my Audi dealership experience did, then I just buy a different brand from a different dealer next time.
I've actually got a deposit down on a new Defender at the moment, but it could easily be transferred to buy a new Discovery if I feel like it. Having said that I'm very happy with the Volvo and the dealer and I hope to buy the XC90 at the end of its lease. If the price isn't agreeable, and the residual on the contract is thousands out, then back it goes and the world is my oyster.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 22:15   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Fortunately, Volvo software updates.dont deliberately slow down old models
I've yet to see my Apple products slow down, although my 4S phone batteries didn't last acceptably long. I paid £85 to have the battery replaced and they couldn't so gave me a new phone instead, but that started cutting out at 35% from its second birthday too. My Volvo is nearing three years old and hasn't cut out yet.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 06:20   #15
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Well.. yes and no. Yes, I bought a product with whatever software/functionality is on it at the time of sale- so you're reight- anything in addition to what was delivered with the car should not (and is not..) free. But should issues/bugs arise (post sales..) that hinder the product's functionality- these must be remedied free of charge. I deal with IT SLAs for living..
But what is the difference between that and hardware?

Example: The XC90 driver's seat trim is notorious for breaking

When you bought the XC90, and the seat trim broke after a few years of usage, due to the weakness in the design, you need to replace it.

It's an issue. You could call it a hardware bug. A mistake made by the human designer that underestimated the forces involved that cause it to fail after some time, when certain circumstances (heavy person, way they slide out of the seat) arise.
The same is true for software.
Some mistakes are visible only after time and only when certain circumstances arise.

Do you demand that Volvo supply the newer updated version of the seat trim that is stronger and lasts longer for free?

Why should the software update be provided free when the seat trim update is not provided for free?

I'm simply stating this view to provoke thought...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 08:53   #16
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think there will be a difference between software updates, and actually software bug fixes, bug fixes will still be free, just any new additions that a software update might give will have to be paid for.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 09:09   #17
Ringthane
VOC Member

I went back to my dealer yesterday, so they could check the condition of my battery, because stop/start wasn’t working. When I arrived, the service guy said there was an update to the ECU software, which they would be applying at the same time.

Would that be a chargeable item, either under warranty, or out of warranty, as opposed to the Connected Safety update, applied free of charge at my last service.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 10:45   #18
AB-UK
Premier Member

I guess if Volvo deem a software update necessary to keep the car running then it will be free.
Anything in addition will be optional I presume - and you will have a choice to buy it or leave it.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 21:08   #19
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I guess if Volvo deem a software update necessary to keep the car running then it will be free.
Anything in addition will be optional I presume - and you will have a choice to buy it or leave it.
Is that not the current situation in the UK? PA2 came out about 6 months after my car was delivered. I could buy it for 120 quid or do without. I chose to do without.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 21:11   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Well, if I'm not satisfied, and I'm quite easy going in this regard as long as they don't push their luck like my Audi dealership experience did, then I just buy a different brand from a different dealer next time.
I've actually got a deposit down on a new Defender at the moment, but it could easily be transferred to buy a new Discovery if I feel like it. Having said that I'm very happy with the Volvo and the dealer and I hope to buy the XC90 at the end of its lease. If the price isn't agreeable, and the residual on the contract is thousands out, then back it goes and the world is my oyster.
I love to hear about your ever expanding garage Quacker. If you bought the defender snd the Volvo, plus the Honda, and I think a Landcruiser? You are up to 4 cars?

Btw I guess if you are sat in a disco 5 then at least you aren't having to look at the back end of it.......
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: