Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 - French Autoroute liber-t tag

Views : 4076

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2014, 23:14   #11
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Ok thanks.

I have applied for this Halifax card for our trip. My usual card (Barclaycard) charges 2.99% on all forex transactions. I use cards for the tolls and fuel outbound. I use any excess euro cash on the return trip if we have any left, otherwise it's the card again.

The Halifax card has no transaction charge worldwide and the exchange rate is the usual Visa / Mastercard rate for the day, as is the case with all cards.

Can't see the benefit of paying Barclaycard 2.99% on all transactions when I can get Halifax to do it for free. The APR doesn't look too bad although I make a point of never, ever paying interest on my credit cards by clearing the balance down every month - so the rate is of no consequence to me.

Here's the link from MoneySavingExpert:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...p-travel-money

We take at least one driving holiday to europe each year, sometimes two with the winter ski break. This little card should shave some pennies off, every little helps - as they say

Disclaimer: I have no connection with either the URL website or the card issuer and I am not offering any advice or assurance with this posting. But if you find this helpful then that'll be good.

Regards, Arianne
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 07:13   #12
Crockers
Premier Member

Good post A👺

Also the Post Office offer the same and Nationwide offer this for EU.

I've just taken out a PO one for our 6 week trek in the States later this year.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:33   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

There was a spell where cars, French ones in particular, had coin compartments to keep your change for road tolls, peage etc. They seem to have disappeared now which is a shame as they were very handy.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 11:12   #14
Pesky

I have mine positioned to the left of the rear view mirror, always worked for me.

No discounts for using, possibly costs a bit more as you have to pay for the tag and a monthly fee for the month you use it.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pesky For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 13:38   #15
Westyman
VOC Member

Our tag was a special offer from Eurotunnel as we are using them soon. I thing that the first cost was waived.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 08:02   #16
Westyman
VOC Member

Can report works very well! Even the lanes without the T symbol work fine too. You just seem to point to the tag and the booth operates waves you on.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 20:59   #17
xsaab
Master Member

Using the French toll roads without the Liber-T device and relying on money is good if
1 You have a passenger in the Lh front seat to wrangle the cash
2 There is no queues of motorcyclists ahead of you in the Tool booth queue each having to partly undress to get at the money, pay, and then dress again before proceeding.
3 You are not hassled at weekends when a number of manned cash taking toll booths are closed and the queues at the open cash toll booths are even longer.

Spending the extra money to have the Liber-T thingy is well worth it in order to get a clean run through the toll gates.

Plus

You can enjoy the spectacle of the locals not following you into an automatic lane because they think you are a stupid Brit that does not know what they are doing who will cause a delay or even worse have to reverse out of the gate thus causing even greater chaos for cars that have followed one into the gate.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 22:26   #18
Whyman
Premier Member

Two points

1. You pay a 5 euro fee per month of use.

2. Most of the booths are now able to take credit cards. On a recent trip we could be quicker through a CC booth than the queue for those with the transponder. If you have someone on the passenger seat hen CC is probably quicker.

We used a Post Office card for years, great rates and no problems.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 11:04   #19
Citisen

Cool 2009 XC60 and Toll Tag

Just like Westyman, I have purchased a Toll Tag for my 2016 Caravan Touring Holiday so I have found the information on here very useful.
I have a 2009 Volvo XC60 2.4 Diesel Auto. it doesn't have a heated screen but has the area directly behind the rear view mirror taken up with the plastic cowl that houses the rain sensor etc.
I contacted my local garage who contacted Volvo. The reply was to fit the tag 12 inches to the right of the centre of the mirror to avoid interference with the rain sensor etc. Not sure about this, it may avoid interference with the car equipment but might also avoid the Toll sensor.
I think I will fit mine just left or right of the plastic cowl and see how I get on.
Got my tag via the Caravan Club site and avoided any payment for the Tag. Had to pay £20 deposit that is refundable if you return the tag. There is a fee of £5 for every month you use it. No discount on charges it is purely for convenience.
Citisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:06   #20
MikeIOW
Premier Member

We borrowed one from a pal & used some "padded" double sided tape to pop it to the left of the gibbons housing the sensors and rear view mirror (we have a camera to the right).....worked a treat
Well worth it, even if only to let you roll on through around 20mph