Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5W30 Castrol Edge ok for S40 1.9D 2001??

Views : 3292

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2016, 22:17   #11
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

That is a bargain -- actually this site recommends 5w40 anyway and I do recall this being told to me previously by FRF, I guess they really don't give it too much thought in the UK as long as it's a decent branded oil.

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-s40-...iesel-engines/

I was going to buy 6L but given that it's £10 for a 1L bottle, and £20 for 5L, I might as well just stock up and buy 10L to cover the 5.6L required. I'm not using any throughout the year, but it'll keep safe enough until next year's service. I'm on 10 month intervals at the current rate! Was tempted to buy 2 spare, but never entirely sure if the car will last that long...

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 1st, 2016 at 22:21.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 09:43   #12
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
That is a bargain -- actually this site recommends 5w40 anyway and I do recall this being told to me previously by FRF, I guess they really don't give it too much thought in the UK as long as it's a decent branded oil.

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-s40-...iesel-engines/

I was going to buy 6L but given that it's £10 for a 1L bottle, and £20 for 5L, I might as well just stock up and buy 10L to cover the 5.6L required. I'm not using any throughout the year, but it'll keep safe enough until next year's service. I'm on 10 month intervals at the current rate! Was tempted to buy 2 spare, but never entirely sure if the car will last that long...
If its not on offer at euro then its usually cheap (£21.58 today) at carpart4less.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/...2211&0&cc5_248
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 11:50   #13
Tunneruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrmick View Post
I once didn't have the time or energy to change the oil my old Citroen ax for 8 years, still ran sweet when I sold it, and who knows how long the oil had been in there when I bought it...
8 years without having a single hour to spare to change the oil in your car, you must be a busy boy!
Tunneruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tunneruk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 12:18   #14
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
8 years without having a single hour to spare to change the oil in your car, you must be a busy boy!
I've never seen a used oil analysis that showed an old oil had turned real bad just from age. In an ideal world 2 years in car or upto 5 in a can, even if opened, so 8 years is pushing the limits a bit. Main effect is an increase in block corrosion rates and if the engine was not run every month, a potential for damaged injector tips, also due to corrosion.
The detergent additives included in good major brand full synthetics help prevent corrosion, as does a film of oil, but you need to occasionally run an engine to allow the oil to be effective at long term protection. The sensistive turbo bearings will probably be the first to suffer from lack of use, although the oil filter seal can also dry out (Never use a detergent to clean an engine exterior) and start a leak.

PS: If you only use a liter or two of top up oil between services, any good 0, 5 or 10w30 will do. It would be better to use a cheap 10w40 for top ups.
Castrol are OEM oil supplier for Volvo and they originally specced Magnetec 10w40, BUT that was over 20 years ago and although most Volvo dealers still use it, the German Volvo stealers switched to Castrol Edge 0w40 years ago. They also used Edge 5w40 for a while.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:24.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 12:36   #15
960kg
Premier Member

I now do not believe that Castrol Edge is a good an oil i onced believed it was!

I always used Castrol Magnetec in all my Volvos for about 28yrs and had no problem at all... nice and quiet etc.

When i purchased the Merc. it had 5W 40 Edge in it and all was ok as i did not know what to expect with a high performance modern diesel engine.

When i had the oil changed in went Mercedes Benz oil that is used at the Main Dealers from a massive oil container drum...i believe it is Mobil 1 5W 40 and the difference was astonishing to me and it was not the fact of old oil to new differences as the old oil had only covered 4000mls.

I had done 4000mls in the first year and i change yearly or 10,000mls.

The Mercedes oil has given the engine so much more finesse if that is the word?....it runs so quietly and performs very well on the move and you would not know apart from the massive torque if it was a petrol or diesel?

The main thing here is that for 8 litres the cost of Castrol Edge against the oil that Mercedes used was more than double the price!!!!!.....Edge is really expensive for what it does...

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:38.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 15:21   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardeau View Post
Hi all,

I bought 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 fully synthetic from Euro Car Parts in their 30% off oil sale, (Quote "oilspill30" at checkout) to use in my Boxer 2.2HDI van and my wifes Audi 1.9TD. Can I use this in the Volvo diesel as well?

Don't really want to buy another oil just for the Volvo and wondered whether I can top up the Volvo with 5W-30?

Cheers

Rich
No
The ONLY oil volvo recommend for this engine is 10w/40, they are quite specific about this on their oil chart .

The engine is Renault of course and they still have their own 10w/40 recommendation for it .

Last edited by Clan; Mar 27th, 2016 at 17:42.
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 15:41   #17
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No
The ONLY oil volvo recommend for this engine is 10w/40, they are quite specific about this on their oil chart .
My owners manual states that any mineral/semi-synth/fully-synth may be used as long as it's to ACEA B3/B4 spec and as long as no additives are used.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 17:13   #18
skyship007
Premier Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No
That is an old chart, BUT the approval is still valid, although it is listed in the alternate oil section of the Castrol oil guide.

5w30 is still the Volvo approved grade in the US for fuel economy reasons, but if you want the latest opinion of Castrol (It is based on updates from Volvo), they list Edge 0w40 (A3/B4) with Magnetec 10w40 in the alternate section.

Castrol engine specific oil guide:
http://applications.castrol.com/oils...en_gb/c/search
(That page was blank the last time I tried it, which says a lot about the company)

Liqui Moly oil finder:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/w...oil_guide.html
(The Germans never fail)

Nothing wrong with using oil additives IF you have a specific engine issue, BUT I only use LM products, as they do what they say in their tech data sheets.
Don't use them during a new car warranty period, just try and get a new engine if it leaks, rattles or burns oil. Good luck if a DPF blocks!

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 27th, 2016 at 17:25.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 17:30   #19
Munchen
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
That's a real bargain for one of the best engine oils around. Ultra is made from natural gas and is classed as a GTL (Gas To Liquid) oil and has an almost cult following amongst oil analysis fans. Although it was designed for use with modern turbo charge engines, it's very effective at cleaning up a dirty block because the base oil is a natural solvent and it contains plenty of detergent additives.

If you do have a real old oil dripper that has been run on conventional or part systhetic oil, then I would be careful about changing to a full synthetic. The reason is what they call the false oil seal effect, where sludge and varnish deposits help old oil seals or gaskets function. Good full synthetics tend to dissolve those deposits causing the leak rate to increase and might then require the use of an oil stop leak additive to swell the seals up to reduce the leak rate.

"Cult following amongst the Oil analysis fans" .......I Bet those boys are laugh a minute down the old the dog and duck
Munchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 19:58   #20
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchen View Post
"Cult following amongst the Oil analysis fans" .......I Bet those boys are laugh a minute down the old the dog and duck
I do have the odd tot of Navy Rum or even a low cal shandy with the chaps from the local ZF oil lab, BUT alas my local has been taken over by a family of recent arrivals who smoke water pipes and serve very expensive cocktails from Bagdad. I call the yellow drink, Ultra on the rocks, cos it says 5.40 on the can!