Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broken swirl arm

Views : 9172

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 22:11   #11
E4S60

Thanks, i shall give that a crack tomorrow.

I find no difference in performance, just worst MPG.
E4S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 15:25   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Just give vehicle id and ask for the "swirlvalve arm modification kit "
The "upgraded part" consists of the same plastic arm but with a seperate metal nail and clip
Youre suppose to make a small hole on the plastic part on the engine side the "cup" where the platic ball broke off and drill a hole in the ball off the arm
Best way to do it is to the drill the hole with an flexible connection socket so that you can hold the drill in an angle
Then put the nail through both components and secure it with the clip (just remove a bit of the ball for enough room for the clip)
Use a magnet under the arm while working for if it falls
I also read here on this forum folks who heated the nail to melt it through
It costs arround 5 pounds or so
Yes it was me and it has been fine for 20k. It's almost impossible to get a drill bit anywhere near but a 1 inch, thin nail heated and then pushed through at 90 degrees forms a perfect hole and then you can put a nut and bolt through the whole ball joint assembly which is a far better fix than Volvo's Haeth Robison repair " LASH UP"
I also followed Bic1 's advice and fabricated a bump stop and it has been perfect since.
See threads below.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92301

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85945

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Dec 2nd, 2011 at 15:31.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 19:15   #13
Jetmech

I have replaced the arm today. There was some confusion at the garage as they thought my engine should have had the ball and socket type arm, not the double socket arm that it actually has. I am still not sure what the 'expensive' mod kit consists of & if that is what I have.
The ball on the swirl actuator is plastic & I suspect that it too is warn, as the new arm was only marginally tighter to fit than the old one. The ball on the actuator is metal, a shame they didn't fit one at the swirl lever end.

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 22:02   #14
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Different links on swirl arm

Hi Jetmech,

Great pics, I did the same mod on my 06 D5 185, interestingly there are 2 styles of link (i think yours is slightly later one with a ball on both ends) mine had a socket on the butterfly/engine end (pic of the slightly different link attached).

The 'Nail' and retaining washer is Volvo P/N 31293291, the main problem is drilling the hole thru the butterfly, but with yours the ball is on the butterfly end so im not sure if the mod works (perhaps it does).

Also attached a couple of the pics showing the mod once installed, its worth getting both of the 'washer' s on the end to make it as durable as poss. Also the casting behind where the 'nail' head which sticks out may need some dremel 'ing to make sure it doesnt foul the casting. (see red line on Mod 9 pic)

The bump stop is an essential if you want to avoid the link being overloaded in the future as it calibrates every 5th engine off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Link879.JPG (53.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Swirl_mod8.JPG (69.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Swirl_mod9.JPG (77.0 KB, 57 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 21:12   #15
v70d5185
Ozrock

Volvo V70D5, 2006 model, had the same problem with mine just after I bought it, discussed the issue with my local garage, had it repaired in a very professional way indeed, similar as previously mentioned, by inserting a metal rod which is then secured on both ends with a metal clip, all this was effected und guarantee in 2007, since then never ever have I faced this problem again.
v70d5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:37   #16
gizbourn

Default Swirl upgrade

Just had swirl upgrade done on 06 v70 euro 4 after epg sensor replacement. Swirl arm fell off every 6-9 months previously. Garages seemed to point to the swirl arm causing numerous 'engine service required' warning lights

So hopefully the most annoying part of an otherwise v nice motor is fixed. Does pose the question why it wasn't a recall if the design was that ropey.
gizbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 16:00   #17
Jetmech

That's interesting, what does the upgrade involve? Do you have any pictures of the upgraded parts?
Sorry to just fire questions at you.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 12:35   #18
jinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Yes it was me and it has been fine for 20k. It's almost impossible to get a drill bit anywhere near but a 1 inch, thin nail heated and then pushed through at 90 degrees forms a perfect hole and then you can put a nut and bolt through the whole ball joint assembly which is a far better fix than Volvo's Haeth Robison repair " LASH UP"
I also followed Bic1 's advice and fabricated a bump stop and it has been perfect since.
See threads below.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92301

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85945
Hi
I have just modified my car v70 05 year. I can send you the details if you send me the request on mayur.baxi@yahoo.co.uk . I also have fabricated the drill and you do not have to disconnect anything water temp bulb connector. The kit will cost you £6.24 approx.
Baxi
jinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 19:28   #19
TheBuffer

Unhappy S80 D5 swirl links

i have found this rather daunting using this forum for the first time. I have searched most of the info but i am not sure which or what page to set out on.
anyhow here goes.
2007 s80 114000 miles excellent vehicle and has been serviced by volvo dealerships from new. second owner,first owner family member.
last service three weeks ago with no issues. vehicle given a volvo health check from dealer together with ott service billing. vehicle health check states following;
swirl link dtc set (full overhaul req ) - replace.

now after about 300miles oil pressure has risen and usual warning displayed.

had this checked out by independent volvo garage, no dealership local and dtc comes back with oil level 122% instead of usual 70%., which no doubt it was three weeks ago?. no oil has been removed but system reset and warning light has gone out.

now according to original volvo service comment this is being caused by diesel fuel entering sump and causing greater oil volume. the fault being as described defective swirl assembly.

the cost quoted from the original service dealership is £750 !!

at the present time i have booked the car into a volvo dealership 20 miles away and await the outcome of a further diagnostic consultation, of which i have been told repeats the initial cost, three weeks ago.

any advice please. excellent vehicle superb handling and spoilt for comfort and style, cannot afford to give up on it.
TheBuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 14:25   #20
rat840771

I've had my swirl arm broken for over 2 years now, I just leave at half way and the car drives fine. If I rev it past 3.5K in 1st/2nd it appears to be ok but if I boot it in 4/5/6 ( approx 115mph) 'Engine system service' appears.

After about 2 days the DIM clears and re sets itself.

I have attempted once to fit the Volvo kit from Volvo, but getting that little clip is a right pain in the arse. We ended up dropping it so we gave in and will plan to fix when I get the car serviced.

The quote to get the new assembly from Volvo was around £120 for the cam gasket, new design link and main flap.

so may go down that route at some point. The job doesn't seem that bad to do, but the fuel lines do need to be removed to remove the cam cover.
rat840771 is offline   Reply With Quote