Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

old banger

Views : 1345

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 23:12   #11
volvo queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
can you describe the smell? If possible. Its normally a sulphury smell or a chemically smell, how about the exhaust fumes? Odd smoke or smell when idling?
Sorry haven't had chance to do much till late today, the smell hadn't really taken much notice till you said but smells like something died in there, left it running a while and dark smoke coming from exhaust, turned slightly paler after 15 mins or so. No problems with cutting out though. Having a mate come and look next weekend think this is going to be a big job
Andy
volvo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 23:32   #12
Ade B

'Bangers' are more economical in the long run, and re-using cars is more environmentally friendly than building new ones.

Tell her that
Ade B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 16:03   #13
'88740GL

Oh dear...i may not be a lot of work, but what i would personally do is evacuate the house and street.....Only kidding! Is this a saloon or an estate?

You need to have a peek into the fuel tank to see what kind of a mess could be in there....Easy jobs first, drain the fuel water trap and see if anything comes out, it traps dirt and moisture to prevent this from damaging the injector pump internals, drain this trap into a jar and see what you get, diesel is a very pale yellow color..but if its dark honey colored or green...and it smells like varnish or not even like diesel, drain the entire tank of old stale diesel, dispose of in the right manner and flush the fuel line leading from the tank and replace the diesel fuel filter as it will be clogged...

Diesel is tasty to certain bacteria, any tiny amount of moisture could lead to it growing inside the tank and make a horrid sludge which clogs the intake strainer inside the tank and plugs the main fuel filter, You'll have open the tank and retrieve the sender unit and intake strainer, clean these if needed and start from there and work forwards. After the tank and lines and filter are done, fill with fresh diesel and buy a anti-bio additive that will kill off any remaining 'diesel bug'.

I'm no mechanic but i'd certainly find this job 'fun' if you like, see it as renovating /helping an old friend get her back on the road and take her out for a weekend trip or a nice long drive....when all is done, i'm sure your good lady will have something better to say than 'old banger'.....ask her...does the new car have heated seats and a powerful heater?....would it still be around and road worthy when its 23?......

You could run this car on veggie oil too..... ;-)
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 23:01   #14
volvo queen

wow wish had your knowledge and experience, its an estate, hugh thing I will do as you suggest at the weekend, haven't got the time really with the nights so short when I get home from work. Really really appreciate all your advice
Cheers Andy
volvo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 23:18   #15
'88740GL

Hey, no problem at all, I agree with you on the days being too short, no sooner you get home, have a sit down and a brew, its black outside and time for tea!

I think the problem was that you car sat for so long, the fuel has gotten stale and moisture has gotten in due to weather temperature etc.

Best way is to locate the fuel tank sender opening, (large screw lid) best place to start! Good luck!

Please post some pictures up as you do the work , (inside the tank, fuel filter, etc, and the cars bodywork)

'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote