Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V40 D4 2015 Inlet Manifold Recall

Views : 3653

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 07:33   #11
scbamber

Mmmm. Like you I find it very hard to believe that some individual cars of that engine model were not built with this potential problem especially when spread over a run of several years when 69000 other cars were affected.

Are we really to believe that these unaffected cars were built with the upgraded software which was used in the recall, before the problem was recognised and before the software was written?! Or that they were fitted with the newer sensors?! And that cars either side of them on the production line were unknowingly built with the latent problem?!

If I was in your position I would write to Volvo UK, and ask for confirmation in writing. That might make them think harder, and help you sleep better, even though the reason behind their answer may not be explained.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 22:51   #12
Narbar

After many emails and phone calls of been fobbed off, I finally received this.

Thank you for your email, I hope you are well.

I have checked with our technical team who have advised, this Vehicle does fall under the R29939 and a letter would have been sent out to the registered owner in late 2019. This was a notification to the customer via mail that In very rare cases the engine’s plastic inlet manifold may melt and deform.
There were no parts being replaced for this and customers were advised the following- If the customer noticed any unusual engine operation, including, but not limited to, the engine management light being lit, an engine interruption, or lack of power, then contact their local approved Volvo retailer.
If they identify any unusual smell we would advise that they stop safely and contact Volvo Assistance or their recovery agent.

I hope this information is of use, please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Narbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 22:53   #13
Narbar

My reply been I've owned the car since 2018 and never had any letter.

What should my next step be now? As it seems they don't replace parts anymore which sounds odd, would a blocked EMAP be cause for Volvo to honour this recall or would they class it as separate by it's self
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 18:45   #14
scbamber

Here's what was done for me in Dec 2019. The thread, on which I was a later poster, had 467 replies!

I wrote

"My MY2015 D4 came back today with the two bits of work done FOC by the dealer over a couple of days.

1:"Swirl throttle jammed. Dynamic compression test done (passed). Inlet manifold removed, and vacuum test done on inlet valves (passed). New inlet manifold fitted; swirl adaptions fitted and fault codes passed.

2: "Carried out Recall R29948: EMAP and TMAP sensors cleaned and ECM software upgraded as per Volvo instructions"

I think R29939 was the code for the early letter about the problem, basically saying "Don't worry unless you have symptoms. We will get back to you when we know what to do".

R29948 was the actual fix... Software update and clean the two sensors. As it happened they changed the manifold too, without charge.

You should at least get a dealer to confirm from the central database that the work was done on your car.
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 14:38   #15
Narbar

Thanks for all the help, I took it in for a emap pipe replacement. They changed the pipe and checked the fault history on the ECU and said that they would change the inlet and fuel pipe for free as it was causing a fault which was part of a known issue
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 21:52   #16
Narbar

Hey, quick unfortunate update, cars thrown up error codes P2101 and P1589.

Believe to be Throttle Body Actuator. After they were messing around the inlet manifold the other day I'm hoping this is something they will do for free. Would this be part of the same recall?

Thanks Dean
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 10:13   #17
scbamber

These codes weren't thrown up when they found codes relating to the emap last week.

Who would believe that the new codes had no connection to their work!?
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 12:05   #18
Narbar

Hello, just been Volvo and they confirmed it's the throttle body failure. But said it's not related to the recall issue or there work and said it's wear and tear.

They want 565 pound to replace the throttle body and fuel pipe. They literally changed the same fuel pipe when they did the recall

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this just coincidence or is this effected by the recall or there work?