Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Pis*ing out of the engine???

Views : 1902

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 23:41   #11
ferocity02

Not sure if it's easily cleanable, I just replaced the whole darn thing. There was a kit on eBay for $95 shipped I used. With the engine hot, pull out the oil dipstick and rev the engine by hand with the throttle body. If oil puffs out of the dipstick tube like a steam engine then that's a sign the PCV needs cleaning/replacing.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=28487
ferocity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 00:05   #12
cbv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Not sure if it's easily cleanable, I just replaced the whole darn thing. There was a kit on eBay for $95 shipped I used. With the engine hot, pull out the oil dipstick and rev the engine by hand with the throttle body. If oil puffs out of the dipstick tube like a steam engine then that's a sign the PCV needs cleaning/replacing.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=28487
Ferocity02,
Thanks for the advice but i think you are talikng about a pertol Volvo mine is a Diesel
cbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 00:07   #13
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Don't touch it,you already paid for job,let them sort it
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:23   #14
cbv8

Rang mech this morning explained situation and he agrred to re-do the job with a VOLVO crankseal my question now is should the oiled up cambelt be replaced or cleaned i would think replacement i wonder which he will he do eh ???
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:45   #15
ajm
Master Member

An oil-contaminated belt should be replaced. It _might_ be OK if cleaned up, but this is the timing belt we're talking about, I wouldn't take any chances...
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:01   #16
Luxobarge
Premier Member

That belt needs to be replaced, there's absolutely no argument about that IMHO. Any oil on it, no matter how well it will be "cleaned" will still have degraded it and it WILL snap before its time is up. At the end of the day they're not so expensive that it's worth taking ANY risk.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 14:13   #17
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Tell him you want the FULL job that you paid for in the first place to be re-done,as others have said,its not worth the chance,don't let the fella fob you off by saying it will be ok cleaned.
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 15:53   #18
ferocity02

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv8 View Post
Rang mech this morning explained situation and he agrred to re-do the job with a VOLVO crankseal my question now is should the oiled up cambelt be replaced or cleaned i would think replacement i wonder which he will he do eh ???
Yes the belt needs to be replaced. The timing belt on my friends Mitsubishi was contaminated with oil (due to ongoing oil leak) and snapped after about 1 year and less than 3000 miles.
ferocity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 16:54   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

..and just to be 'doubly triply' sure, try and be there when he takes the cambelt off, so he can give it to you!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 18:13   #20
cbv8

The machanic picked the car up today and agreed to do the job again he said he will use a VOLVO crankseal this time and will fit a new cambelt all in all he seems pretty genuine and wants to rectify the problem. I asked him as a good will gesture will he do a service on the car ie oil/filter/fuel fliter i supplied the bits he said he will do it no probs i expect the car back tomorrow morning