Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Evaporator Temp Sensor Location ?

Views : 20013

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:11   #11
Marmitespreader
Master Member

This is all i can find at the min. on sensor removal from vida.
From the diagram, looks like the sensor is located on the passenger side, especially with the lack of work involved for LHD, might be worth looking to see if there is access in the passenger footwell just to have a peek.

VIDA
Temperature sensor, evaporator, replacing
Removal

Left-hand drive cars.
Remove the soundproofing panel on the driver's side. See Soundproofing panel, replacing
Pull off the temperature sensor
Disconnect the connector from the sensor
work the sensor loose.

Right-hand drive cars

Remove the climate control unit. See Climate control unit, replacing
work the sensor loose.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Evap sens.gif (19.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Marmitespreader; Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:13.
Marmitespreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:36   #12
R3dbvll

Just got off the phone with Volvo.

They are telling me that there is no separate Evaporator Temp sensor, it is just one whole evap unit, and it requires the entire dashboard to be removed, which is 6.5 hour job.

Price? £700.
R3dbvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:53   #13
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dbvll View Post
Just got off the phone with Volvo.

They are telling me that there is no separate Evaporator Temp sensor, it is just one whole evap unit, and it requires the entire dashboard to be removed, which is 6.5 hour job.

Price? £700.
Well, that sounds kind of contradictary of them, considering they can sell you the sensor for £18. Try a few Volvo Indie's.
What vehicle do you have?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 14:19   #14
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmitespreader View Post
Well, that sounds kind of contradictary of them, considering they can sell you the sensor for £18. Try a few Volvo Indie's.

V70 SE 2.4 T 2002 (52 plate)
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 14:33   #15
R3dbvll

Quote:
They did come back to me, when I explained that I could get the part they said didn't exist, from their own parts department and say "ah, there are a number of variations on this model, we'll get back to you"
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 19:43   #16
Marmitespreader
Master Member

From what I have found, is that there are three climate unit variations,

1, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 STD, R.H.D.-Looking thru parts for this brings me to conclusion of NO aircon.

2, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 A.C, R.H.D-The parts for this system appear to be of standard aircon.

3, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 E.C.C, R.H.D-The parts for this system are for the EEC (electronic climate control).

The sensor part No. 30665118, is same for both A/C units. So, in my opinion, if you have either A/C, there is a replaceable sensor. If you do not have A/C, then no sensor in system, & therefore volvo probably think you are querying something your vehicle hasn't got (A/C). Volvo will know everything about your vehicle from its VIN.

Not only volvo, but lots of dealers tell lots of lies, big ones at that, knowing most of the time we are at their mercy.
I bought my volvo from a chap in Swallowfield, Reading, his service mech would pull a sensor, which would record a fault code, then when the poor guy went back for his next service, "Oh dear, you appear to have a fault with !!!"

It might be worthwhile ringing several volvo indies for their opinion.
Sorry I can't be of more help. It will be interesting to find out what volvo have to say when they get back to you.
Cheers
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 20:50   #17
R3dbvll

Quote:
From what I have found, is that there are three climate unit variations,

1, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 STD, R.H.D.-Looking thru parts for this brings me to conclusion of NO aircon.

2, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 A.C, R.H.D-The parts for this system appear to be of standard aircon.

3, Climate unit V70, V70XC, XC70 R.H.D, 2002-2004 E.C.C, R.H.D-The parts for this system are for the EEC (electronic climate control).

The sensor part No. 30665118, is same for both A/C units. So, in my opinion, if you have either A/C, there is a replaceable sensor. If you do not have A/C, then no sensor in system, & therefore volvo probably think you are querying something your vehicle hasn't got (A/C). Volvo will know everything about your vehicle from its VIN.

Not only volvo, but lots of dealers tell lots of lies, big ones at that, knowing most of the time we are at their mercy.
I bought my volvo from a chap in Swallowfield, Reading, his service mech would pull a sensor, which would record a fault code, then when the poor guy went back for his next service, "Oh dear, you appear to have a fault with !!!"

It might be worthwhile ringing several volvo indies for their opinion.
Sorry I can't be of more help. It will be interesting to find out what volvo have to say when they get back to you.
Cheers
No, you've been of great help. This was Lancaster Volvo in Reading I was talking to. There is an indie Volvo guy in Arborfield I could talk to, but when I've spoken to him before I always get the impression he isn't that keen on the work...

Well, my car definitely has A/C with ECC, so it must have the replaceable sensor. In fact when I spoke to Lancaster parts dept, they knew of that part, and confirmed it would fit a 2002 V70 (£18). All very odd.

Last edited by R3dbvll; Jun 29th, 2012 at 21:19.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 22:06   #18
R3dbvll

Quote:
This is all i can find at the min. on sensor removal from vida.
From the diagram, looks like the sensor is located on the passenger side, especially with the lack of work involved for LHD, might be worth looking to see if there is access in the passenger footwell just to have a peek.

VIDA
Temperature sensor, evaporator, replacing
Removal

Left-hand drive cars.
Remove the soundproofing panel on the driver's side. See Soundproofing panel, replacing
work the sensor loose.

Right-hand drive cars

Remove the climate control unit. See Climate control unit, replacing
work the sensor loose.
Hadn't noticed that you posted this before.... which bit is the climate control unit?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 22:25   #19
Marmitespreader
Master Member

The CCU is the huge aparatus in the middle & behind the dash which distributes the air, hence the dashboard removal.
This is why i suggested seeing what was easy in both footwells to remove so as to get a look with a torch and telescopic mirror to see if anything could be seen which resembles the sensor. Do you have vida?

Have you seen: found another pic
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...(part-30665118)
Attached Images
File Type: gif ccu.gif (18.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif ccu1.gif (20.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Location of the components in the climate control system.jpg (64.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Marmitespreader; Jun 29th, 2012 at 22:57. Reason: Imanube
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 23:48   #20
R3dbvll

Quote:
The CCU is the huge aparatus in the middle & behind the dash which distributes the air, hence the dashboard removal.
This is why i suggested seeing what was easy in both footwells to remove so as to get a look with a torch and telescopic mirror to see if anything could be seen which resembles the sensor. Do you have vida?

Have you seen: found another pic
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...(part-30665118)
No don't have Vida unfortunately, although been thinking about getting my hands on it.