Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230K Where has all the power gone

Views : 1266

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:00   #11
BigGreenThing

Thanks Yaxley! I will probably pm you shortly!

After work today I removed the carb, cleaned down all surfaces (carb cleaner) and thoroughly dried with a new cloth. I then added a new gasket, a wafer thin gasket (from an old solex repair kit) and used a gasket sealant to help reduce the likelihood of a further leak. All this done in fading light, northerly wind...and rather heavy snowfall!

I checked the in-line fuel filter (the one that goes into the carb). The original was twisted. I replaced it.

I checked and cleaned the PCV valve and pipes. They were all clean anyway.

I cleaned (again) interior/exterior of carb with carb cleaner.

I checked and cleaned all fuses.

I checked and cleaned all electrical connections to the carb. Made sure valves were tight and secure.

I retraced my steps and put the carb back together. The only thing I didn't do was change the vacuum operated diaphragm valve. Then replaced all electrical connectors and the green/red plastic tubes (and checked rubber fittings).

I let the sealant set for 20 mins..then fired her up (felt a much better "start up" than before) and let her warm up under choked idle - reducing the idle as soon as I could - and let her warm up to normal temp. Couldn't believe it! all seemed good! Idle 850-900 rpm. Pressing the brakes - no downward surge in rpm.I thought happy days! My old tank was back!After 20 mins - took her for a gentle "round the block".

B@lls. After 150yds - stuttering started on acceleration. Revs dropped. Pulled over (braked and revs dropped) and carb sprayed the area - revs rose. Turned engine off then on. Straight back up to 950-1000rpm. Went like a rocket.

To do list: replace vacuum operated diaphragm valve, re-do gasket (now with gasket sealant over it!), check brake pipe (although looks in good nick). Swear a lot. Then pray. A lot more. And use more gasket sealant.

Perhaps all will be well tomorrow!

Is cardboard a suitable material to make a gasket from?
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:15   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Cardboard for emergency only for fuel system.Try someone on this list, maybe Camberley Auto Factors for proper gasket paper.

http://www.accessplace.com/car-part/...ussex/hove.htm
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 22:16   #13
BigGreenThing

Thanks Derek. I'll give a few of them a go! Wasn't aware that gasket paper (as a blank sheet) was available. Was so certain that the gasket sealant was going to work!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:51   #14
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Take the diaphram valve off and blow (gently) down the tube, if your getting a hiss it's done, if not leave her be.

If you do find yourself with two good diaphram valves I'll take one off your hands for a modest fee!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 21:17   #15
BigGreenThing

Thanks for the top tip Captain A!

I'll keep you posted on progress! I have 2 or 3 of the horizontal valves kicking about in total. Happy to supply you with one of them!

Cheers

JG
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 20:13   #16
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

BGT, you have PM mate.