Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B16a-siezed-advise needed

Views : 1416

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 00:22   #11
wentworthto1

Default Partial Success!

Well, I looked today and saw that the penetrating oil has dissapeared in the first cylinder. So I can assume that that piston is now free. However, the others are still full. I still cannot turn the pulley. Should I add more pb blaster to the first cylinder so that it does not sieze up again while I wait for the others to loosen?

I ordered "engine release" about two weeks ago, so it should get here any day now. When I get it, I may try it instead in the rest of the cylinders.

I also bought some 5w 20 oil and filled the engine again with 5 quarts. Should I add more oil and fill the entire engine to the top? I'm wondering if other things may be siezed inside the engine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Todd Wentworth
wentworthto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:58   #12
asneddon
Master Member

i'm not saying this is a good idea, but my dad had the 48 flathead in his boat seize up one year and after lots of effort trying to get it sorted he went for the brute force method:

1) Fill up the bores with lighter fluid.
2) light
3) wait for the fire to go out
4) see if the heat has freed the pistons.

It worked for him, but then again he did have a spare engine he could have used if we needed to pull the current one and strip it.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:07   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

At this point I don't think I would have put the oil in the engine. It'll still be below the crank. If the engine is out of the boat, I don't think you've said, you can tilt it from side to side to wet everything down, but it won't help much to free anything off. If not, anything you put down the bores will contaminate the oil so it'll need changing before you attempt to start it. At the moment it's 1 down 3 to go so your patience is paying off.
We're patient too. How about a pic of the engine and boat?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:18   #14
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If penetrating oil is not going down then the only other thing you could try is some coca cola (not for you but put it down the bores). It does often do the trick of freeing up rusty parts.
Seconded.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 16:56   #15
wentworthto1

Default Working on pictures!

I am working on getting the pictures to transfer to the thread.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 03:56   #16
wentworthto1

Hey! I finally figured out how to make it all work

[ATTACH]boat 2.jpg

boat 3.jpg

boat 4.jpg

boat 5.jpg

boat 6.jpg

boat 7.jpg

boat 8.jpg

boat 9.jpg

boat 10.jpg

boat 11.jpg

boat 12.jpg

boat 13.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:30   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

VERY interesting. Looks like the Florida(?, I see you're in Pa) salty air has been working well, although the spark plug numbering sticky has survived well.
If your patience pays off, what the next step? Try and start it for a very short run? Cooling will be difficult as it stands. Conveniently, it has the 2 lifting rings, so pulling it out won't be too difficult.
What are your plans? A complete restoration as a "vintage boat" or a tidy up for weekend fun?
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 13:20   #18
wentworthto1

well, I lived in Fla. from '82-'96. The boat hasn't seen the water since 1990. I got the engine running about 4 years ago and it ran beautifully. So I'm hoping it will run the same after these pistons free up. Yesterday, I received the "engine release" in the mail and started the treatments. So, with one piston already free, I am pretty optomistic!

The boat belonged to my dad when he was a kid. He grew up on Lake Michigan. The boat probably has less than a few hundred hours on it. So, the engine is pretty "new".

The boat itself needs major work though. The first project is re-coring the inside of the hull with end-grain balsa and resin. After the inside is finished, I will move to the outer. All of the gel-coat must be sanded down and removed so that I can build it back up with resin and then paint it with Interlux Brightsides paint.

When I get the engine out, I may just open it up and recondition as much as possible. What would you do with it? I'm sure the outdrive will also need attention. The prop turns freely when disengaged, so that is a good sign.

Well, I'll let everyone know the progress!
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 19:56   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

If it runs nice again after it's free'd up, I'd just take off the bolt on parts, get them blasted and repainted. Put it all back together and freshen the whole engine with new paint. The rocker cover may have been chrome, but on non Penta engines, the B16a just had it painted engine colour.
Good luck with the rebuild.

Pop in here and have a chat.
Susquehanna Spares, 3725 Elder Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17111 (717) 921-2644 ; 122/1800 parts, Joe Lazenby owner

Last edited by Derek UK; Jul 25th, 2009 at 19:58. Reason: addition