Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best Gear Ratios / Rear Axle Combination

Views : 1990

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 18:49   #11
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

ok

same size wheels correct fact

regardless of how fast the wheels are turning as that is ! speed related

60mph is the same as 60mph fact

ok now the science part

prop is same size yes fact now if you changed the size of wheels then yes i would agree the wheels would be going faster than stock but its like a push bike regardless what gear you are in you do said speed what ever gear your peddalin like a goddin in 1st , 2nd 3rd,4th and so on so using that in comparison if your gearbox prop end is going at said speed its turning the prop same cycles correct yes so maybe yes the axle ratio is turing at a better gearing but you are doing 60mph regardless i tried this out on my xr3i changing wheels and that was the only thing that changed wheels size and tyre size your wheels still turn at the same rotation speed do they not ??

and you feel like the car is doing a better speed through the gears and geared better yes i agree but thats about all and the very small amount it could possibly change it would take up the slack in speedo anyway so no major loss if anything its trued up the speedo worst case as you have a 3-5mph most times faster than you actually are doing but lets face it it aint gonna make much diffrence to write home about so not really worth worrying

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 19:04   #12
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Mph is miles (distance) per hour (time). Therefore if you take my example of a diff ratio of 3:1 and 4:1 for 1 turn of the prop the wheels turn 3 and 4 times. This equates to travelling 3 times the circumference of the wheel vs 4 times the circumference of the wheel. This means that for every rotation of the prop the car is travelling 33% further. So that would mean the speedo would be 33% out if you change the diff from 3:1 to 4:1. At 60mph with a 3:1 diff and then changed to 4:1, the speedo would be 20mph out.

It's the same thing about the wheel size, larger wheels go further per rev due to the larger circumference.

Last edited by Burdekin; Feb 15th, 2014 at 19:09.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 19:54   #13
Underdrive

Khe Sanh, I almost agree with you except with say a 4:1 axle, the prop turns the pinion 4 times to turn the crownwheel once. Robert would have been right if the speedo gear was measuring the number of turns the crownwheel of the diff makes but it is the output of the gearbox (prop) and therefore has to be affected by the diff ratio, as you said. You obviously can't trust the speedo gear in the gearbox unless it is matched with the diff ratio that originally went with it.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:39   #14
Saner

Interesting discussion, I had assumed that I would need to adjust my speedo.

Anyone able to shed any light on my problem?
Saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 14:01   #15
Colonel Froth

Assuming the first online calculator I found is accurate, the M40 with a 1:1 4th gear, a 4.56:1 diff, and 25" tyre diameter would give 70mph at 4290rpm. Changing to 4.1:1 will yield 70mph at 3857rpm. A speedo calibrated to work with the old diff would show 70mph with the new diff when you're actually doing 77.9mph so it's a big enough difference to get your pants pulled down by the police. I don't know how many teeth the speedo drive gear that you need would have though, or which model you might get one from.
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 15:32   #16
Colonel Froth

If you don't end up finding out what the right gear is you could always keep the one you have, get the numbers for the speedo re-cut from off-white self-adhesive vinyl, and replace the lines on the drum to match the 'new' speeds generated by the 4.1 diff. If yours is the 120mph speedometer and it tells the correct speed with the 4.56 diff, you would (roughly) need to replace 120mph with 130mph and space the rest of the numbers out evenly.
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post: