Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 3.2 petrol or diesel??!

Views : 19863

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2012, 07:17   #11
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath123 View Post
Thanks for replies it seems the v6 maybe the one to go for.
I am a little concerned about the demand come resale but will be planning on keeping the car for a few years.

What's the service plan like on these?
I am coming for VAG where there is long life servicing, not that I am great fan of keeping the oil in for 20k miles!

I guess the AT oil needs every 40k miles?

Is there a cam belt on the 3.2?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Cheers!
The 3.2 is an inline six cylinder and not a V.
Engine oil should be changed every 10.000 Km. or 6250 mile. I do it every 5000 Km.though. Volvo recommends Castrol high grade synthetic.
If I were you, I would take the car to a trusted & specialized Volvo mechanic for a complete check up before purchase, in case you are skeptical about dealer diagnosis. Always buy the extended warranty, peace of mind.
Nothing wrong with a minor tune up upon acquiring car, you will never know.
The choice is right, forget about diesels, even if you have to spend more at the pump. The petrol is definitely more fun.
Keep us posted, best of luck.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 08:57   #12
JimG
Premier Member

Very jealous, wish I could justify/afford a petrol.

Enjoy Cath123, and stay with us once you've got one. We don't have a lot of petrol owners on the forum but you can still get good tips concerning tyres and other generic subjects.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 09:11   #13
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
The 3.2 is an inline six cylinder and not a V.
Engine oil should be changed every 10.000 Km. or 6250 mile. I do it every 5000 Km.though. Volvo recommends Castrol high grade synthetic.
. . .
Changing oil at 5000 km (3000 mi) is wasting good oil. Modern synthetic oils should last at least 7,500 mi (12,000 km). 'Extended life' synthetics are 'guaranteed' to last 15,000 mi (24,000 km) or 1 year. But I admit that I don't know of any independent verification that they really last that long.

My practice has been to use Mobil1 Extended Performance and to change it approximately annually.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:26   #14
Rawas
Master Member

Absolutely right, I am being very meticulous!
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:45   #15
cath123

Thanks so much for the replies and info!

I've found 2 potentials, what seem like good examples not too far away (40 miles) from us so if they are still on the market next weekend we will be going over there to take a look.

One is the 3.2 petrol and the other the 2.4 diesel. Both appear to be good examples, a viewing and thorough inspection might tell otherwise though!

Just a couple of questions re the injector issues on the diesel... I know if there are starting issues this may signify potential failure but there anything else I should look for?

Also if in the unfortunate event of failure how open are Volvo to good will payments if the car is purchased outside of the dealer network? The car has full Volvo service history.
I have come from VAG where they have acknowledged that there is an issue and are making good will payments for cars with full dealer history.

Many thanks in advance!
cath123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:15   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
Changing oil at 5000 km (3000 mi) is wasting good oil. Modern synthetic oils should last at least 7,500 mi (12,000 km). 'Extended life' synthetics are 'guaranteed' to last 15,000 mi (24,000 km) or 1 year. But I admit that I don't know of any independent verification that they really last that long.

My practice has been to use Mobil1 Extended Performance and to change it approximately annually.
The service interval is 18000 miles or one year in UK ,
but must use 0w/30 A5/B5 oil ... Volvos have been running up and down the UK doing millions of miles since 2005 when the 18000 interval came in with no problems .
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 10:31   #17
cath123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath123 View Post
Just a couple of questions re the injector issues on the diesel... I know if there are starting issues this may signify potential failure but there anything else I should look for?

Also if in the unfortunate event of failure how open are Volvo to good will payments if the car is purchased outside of the dealer network? The car has full Volvo service history.
I have come from VAG where they have acknowledged that there is an issue and are making good will payments for cars with full dealer history.

Many thanks in advance!
Anybody got any knowledege of the above?

Cheers!
cath123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:33   #18
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Very jealous, wish I could justify/afford a petrol.

Enjoy Cath123, and stay with us once you've got one. We don't have a lot of petrol owners on the forum but you can still get good tips concerning tyres and other generic subjects.
Europeans' preference for diesels in their private cars is a holdover from the time when they ran their diesels with no pollution controls. The decision to require diesels to meet the same pollution standards as petrol engines has reduced the mpg advantage of diesels over petrol. The diesel engine is a more efficient heat engine, but this comes at the expense of higher initial cost and potentially higher maintenance costs.

Also some of the higher mpg of the diesel is due to the fact that diesel fuel is about 12% denser than petrol. Proper fuel efficiency calculations are based on weight of fuel consumed and not volume.*
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_fuel
As of 2010, the density of petroleum diesel is about 0.832 kg/l (6.943 lb/US gal), about 12% more than ethanol-free petrol (gasoline), which has a density of about 0.745 kg/l (6.217 lb/US gal). About 86.1% of the fuel mass is carbon, and when burned, it offers a net heating value of 43.1 MJ/kg as opposed to 43.2 MJ/kg for gasoline. However, due to the higher density, diesel offers a higher volumetric energy density at 35.86 MJ/L (128 700 BTU/US gal) vs. 32.18 MJ/L (115 500 BTU/US gal) for gasoline, some 11% higher, which should be considered when comparing the fuel efficiency by volume. The CO2 emissions from diesel are 73.25 g/MJ, just slightly lower than for gasoline at 73.38 g/MJ.
Diesel engines are especially unsuitable for short trips in a cold climate because they do not warm up nearly as fast as a petrol engine. Proper cold weather operation of a diesel is best achieved with an electric mains block heater to warm up the engine before starting. A cold diesel at idle will not melt ice and snow on the windscreen.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_s...el_consumption
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:49   #19
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
Europeans' preference for diesels in their private cars is a holdover from the time when they ran their diesels with no pollution controls. The decision to require diesels to meet the same pollution standards as petrol engines has reduced the mpg advantage of diesels over petrol. The diesel engine is a more efficient heat engine, but this comes at the expense of higher initial cost and potentially higher maintenance costs.
You're probably right Jim. Diesel used to be used mainly by farming/agriculture/HGV type vehicles and was significantly cheaper than petrol. As the cost of petrol started to rise there was a big push by the Government to switch to diesel as the MPG was much better. As soon as most people were on board the cost of diesel went up too!

I couldn't imagine the cost of running a petrol XC, as much as I would love to. However when you compare the fuel consumption and emission figures of the new 3.0 V6 diesel Touareg, it brings home how dated the XC is.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 11:05   #20
Miles121

All the XC90's have adreadful turning circle. My local dealer said that the V8 petrol was even worse as the physical size of the engine encroached on the steering. Don't know if this is true, but if you have to do a lot of tight parking, a three point turn can easily becaome a seven point turn.
Miles121 is offline   Reply With Quote