Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Small update on "Tiffany"

Views : 2323

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 21:47   #11
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Excellent job Mo,

Looks like you've a line of business there that you could go into full time! That's a seriously impressive job in a short time. A lot of people who go at this kind of thing ( like me )whack on 10 times too much filler and spend the rest of their lives sanding it down, only to realise when they get it sanded down that the original line is gone

You obviously planned / executed this to perfection.

Well done! Looks great.

Regards,

Tony.
Even the best laid plans come to a dead stop LOL, now I need to find a paint supplier or worst case scenario paint whole car.I tested myself on old panels with a spray can and results where pretty good even for a amature.Local bodyshops are still quoting figures for just spraying the damaged area same as they quoted with the smashed panels.any ideas on how much it may cost to spray whole car if I (kids) did the prep myself?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 22:24   #12
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

You might aswell have a go.......Me and my Dad sprayed my rear wings and you would hardly tell! We borrowed a mates spray gun and used my dads compressor and went ahead. Neither of us had ever used a spray gun before and you could barely tell the difference after it had been given a light t-cut and a few coats of polish.

Give it a go yourself and if you mess up - send it to a spray shop.

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 22:38   #13
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Yeah Steve might give it a go,Got Saturday off work so I will complete all the filling etc and cover up blemishes with knifing putting,Hopefully if suns out will try and rub down as much of car as possible and by the next copule of days off work will complete the paint.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 11:30   #14
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Great progress Mo, as said before if you want a 'still environment' to spray and dry in you are more than welcome to use my concrete garage

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 20:54   #15
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Hi Mo,

I'd be inclined to have a stab at it myself if I were you. With a red car I can't see you getting away too easily without doing the whole thing ... sure you could do the side and buff the rest, but pretty soon a difference will return in the colour. That's mon opinion anyways.

The guy who did mine ( door unbending / painting ) was quoting me 350 euro per panel - not sure what that is in Sterling, but it's a lot! He was telling me that older cars tend to be harder to do not least because of all the bits of trim that have to be removed, and the fact that the plastic retainers go brittle with age and snap.

One thing I could never figure out about body shops is this: you spray the car, and it takes however long to do. You then get charged for the time it takes the paint to dry as well. I personally would want time - coded footage of some git sitting on a stool watching it dry before I'd part with the readies.

In terms of doing the preparitory work, it makes sense but in my experience over here I've found that they don't like that sort of thing ( because it saves the customer money! ). If I were you - and this is my idea with the saab - I'd go into Lidl or Aldi and buy a compressor, and spray it.

You'll save yourself big bucks and when you're done, you'll still have the compressor! A hazard of spraying in a garage is bits of everything falling down off the roof. A plastic dust sheet stapled across the roof would be a good idea. To go back to your original idea though, maybe someone on here who works in the painting line and is sypathetic to the DIY cause might do it for you?

Best of luck,

Tony
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 22:23   #16
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Great progress Mo, as said before if you want a 'still environment' to spray and dry in you are more than welcome to use my concrete garage
It won't be quite so still if you ever get the back wall altered for the tow bar!

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 19:01   #17
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Done abit more work this weekend on Tiffany.Replaced fuel lines around filler neck after finding a disintergrated line in overflow tank which explains partly why car leaked petrol when i filled her up fully.Bodywork is now turning into a nightmare,after putting on a full coat of primer I found all the imperfections that I have left behind and not noticed,Thinks it going to take alot more effort on my part and alot more time.I am pretty happy with the minimal use of filler which is at deepest point 4mm.The door edges (see pic) is the best possible shape I can make, considering it was twisted so much not too bad me thinks.May have found a friendly painter in my local area ,finance dependant may give him a go.

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:33   #18
360dood

looking good
360dood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360dood For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2009, 19:03   #19
BlueBrickSte
Premier Member

Nice car. Been a long time since I've seen those type of 300 alloys.
BlueBrickSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 19:21   #20
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBrickSte View Post
Nice car. Been a long time since I've seen those type of 300 alloys.
Hi Those alloys came with a 343 which I bought for my friend Bob who shipped car to USA,He had my moondisc alloys and i got his.