Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) dealer talking some sense

Views : 3645

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2021, 20:24   #11
Steorbs

bought mine from donalds of ipswich 15 months back, and while they have been ok i have had to push then when having issues (of which i have had lots!). Interestingly when it went in to hylton gott in kings lynn last week on the back of a truck (and out of warranty) you would think i had bought it off them! Much more attentive, very honest and communication has been brilliant so far.

Obviously this doesnt mean they are any better or donalds any worse but it does make a difference......it will be going to hylton gott for its next service as things stand put it that way
Steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 06:49   #12
Automatic Only

I got mine through a broker (who got it via Riverside Doncaster) but have used Lipscomb in Maidstone for servicing etc. Can't really fault them so far - generally seem to be knowledgeable and do a good job. Loan car availability is also good.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 14:05   #13
Steve XC60
Structural member

Holden group (Norwich and Downham Market) seem to have acquired Cecil & Larter in October. Anyone had any experience with them since then?

I am thinking of trying Cecil & Larter for my next service after getting fed up at my normal place always talking to a call centre (if I try by phone) or a receptionist (who is typically a new joiner with zero knowledge of me or cars generally due to their high turnover of staff).
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 17:34   #14
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
Holden group (Norwich and Downham Market) seem to have acquired Cecil & Larter in October. Anyone had any experience with them since then?

I am thinking of trying Cecil & Larter for my next service after getting fed up at my normal place always talking to a call centre (if I try by phone) or a receptionist (who is typically a new joiner with zero knowledge of me or cars generally due to their high turnover of staff).
Was there last month for a warranty job and seemed same Cecil & Larter experience and same staff. Did seem busier than usual but great service as it always has been.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 18:38   #15
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I am a customer of a small Volvo dealership in Suffolk who this time last year had their Volvo agency removed by Volvo (their site did not ‘fit’ with Volvo’s vision of the future). They can still service the cars but no Volvo support for warranty work/software upgrades/breakdown cover extension following a service.
The ‘big’ plush Volvo dealership is in Norwich but my son and father had not had great service from them so there is no way my OCD would have gone down well with them or me so, with guidance from my ex Volvo dealer i booked my car in online for its 3rd service and 1st MOT yesterday with Cecil & Larter in Bury St Edmunds. Turns out they voluntarily gave up their Volvo sales agency last year as they could not justify the cost to bring the showroom ‘up’ to the required Volvo glitzy standard so a deal was done so that they are now just official Volvo service and repair agents.
I did not need a courtesy car and so they made me as comfortable as possible in a small room while they serviced my car (there are ongoing works on a waiting/viewing lounge but that not ready yet)
It was interesting to hear the discussions with reception staff and customers which was all very professional and they obviously are a trusted well established dealer who know most customers well.
I heard several phone conversations with good advice given.
I then came to pay. Service was quoted at £275 and although i didnt ask a price i knew an MOT was about £50. My bill was £271 and a few pence - ‘you have forgotten the MOT i said’ and was told by the service manager that when they service and MOT Volvo’s the MOT is charged at £5 as the car is there, on the ramp anyway and many of the MOT test requirements were part of the service schedule anyway and they feel it is wrong to double charge their customers when there is no additional cost to themselves. I felt this was a most refreshing attitude. As a result my son will be taking is Volvo to them next month and they are Seat dealers too and my wife would like a Seat in Sept and will definitely speak to them post COVID.
The Aftersales Director came and introduced himself and acknowledged I had driven an hour to get there but assured me they are v keen to take over from my previous dealer.
All in all a good dealer experience.......so far!
This is interesting, as I'm certain the MOT test is timed under a specific schedule, and the garage mustn't share the ramp for other reasons (whilst doing the test), so from this read that the mechanic didn't do all of the checks during the test window, but ad-hoc during his time with the car throughout the day?

This would concern me, and possibly is one of the reasons garages charge full whack for MOT tests, as it's time they can't use the MOT ramps for other jobs,

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to spread out the test checks outside of the 45 minute window (or whatever they logged it into the vosa website as)
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 20:01   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
This is interesting, as I'm certain the MOT test is timed under a specific schedule, and the garage mustn't share the ramp for other reasons (whilst doing the test), so from this read that the mechanic didn't do all of the checks during the test window, but ad-hoc during his time with the car throughout the day?

This would concern me, and possibly is one of the reasons garages charge full whack for MOT tests, as it's time they can't use the MOT ramps for other jobs,

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to spread out the test checks outside of the 45 minute window (or whatever they logged it into the vosa website as)
Or maybe it is actually the opposite way round to how it was explained. They do the MOT and then that has covered loads of the service checks, so they don't do the service checks?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 23:15   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Remember the Kings Lynn dealer is owned by the Norwich dealer who is not know for good service IMHO
remember DEALER is not a person it is a building .
The people they employ are the key to good service and more importantly they should be trained at least once a year in the skills they should have..
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 00:48   #18
davidwf15

yep, C & L at Bury now part of the Holden group....thankfully they still have the same caring and helpful people there though....AND....you can TALK DIRECTLY TO THE MECHANIC who will be working on your car rather than having some uneducated receptionist's translation of the actual problem you have.
Hope they dont ever change ....most of the bigger dealers I have used over the years seem to have a couldnt care less attitude for the single private motorist.....for the time being at least, they dont.
I have also had excellent service from M.R.King in Halesworth but havent been there for years as they are too far away.
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidwf15 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 15:35   #19
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
yep, C & L at Bury now part of the Holden group....thankfully they still have the same caring and helpful people there though....AND....you can TALK DIRECTLY TO THE MECHANIC who will be working on your car rather than having some uneducated receptionist's translation of the actual problem you have.
Hope they dont ever change ....most of the bigger dealers I have used over the years seem to have a couldnt care less attitude for the single private motorist.....for the time being at least, they dont.
I have also had excellent service from M.R.King in Halesworth but havent been there for years as they are too far away.
Sadly MR King are no longer Volvo Main dealers or even in Halesworth. They couldnt justify the investment Volvo required, unfortunately.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 16:14   #20
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

I’ve used Cecil and Larter since buying a Volvo and where possible also take my Polestar too them (the lease company doesn’t have a contract for servicing with them).

I’ve always found them excellent, knowledgeable and friendly - I’d have no hesitation recommending them; whilst they’re now Holden the team are the same and I hope the excellent service continues. You can now buy a Volvo through Holden Norwich but have it handed over in Bury St Edmunds, I was advised the reason for the loss of new car sales was as described above, the investment required but at the same time moving away from dealership sales didn’t justify it.

Service next Thursday, wonder if they now have new courtesy cars or whether I’ll get the first gen V60 D4 with the ‘V60 NEW’ number plate (or a SEAT…)
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post: