Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated Windscreen

Views : 1378

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 13:26   #11
shortword

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I am over thinking it

I'm not exactly sure what this is? Do you mean the car doesn't tell you how long left before full charge?

No. quite the opposite. If say you know your 'cheap night rate' runs from 23:00 till 07:00 you'd obviously want to car to charge in this window. As it turns out, when you plug it in it charges. There is no 'charge timer' which sucks. So i have to creep out to the car at midnight and plug it in lol
shortword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 13:28   #12
shortword

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Mine is going to be an Inscription with the auxiliary heater option available in the UK.
T8 on all trim levels should include this as far as I can remember. if it's being put to you as an optional extra double check with your dealer.
shortword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 15:53   #13
pavanraut

I have it on my S80 and it was irritation for initial few days but after that I don't even notice it. I have not had a winter since I had my car so can't comment on the usability of heated windscreen.
pavanraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 17:27   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Had this on my Ford about 20 years ago as I think they had the patent and have only just released it for other car makers. I really missed it when I started buying Mercedes. I found it very good with frosted windscreen and as a demister and you do not notice the little wires unless you keep looking for them from my experience.
Have not included it in my build as I want the HUD. Gone for the auxiliary heater instead.
I have the heated screen on my D5 inscription and have never noticed the wires, I need reading glasses so it maybe I just cant see them because of that but I also have a heated screen in my landrover defender and I can see the wires in that screen when you look for them but normal driving you never see them. I recommend the heated screen, all cars should have them as standard equipment, and as a safety point bluetooth hands free phone connectivity should be compulsary on all vehicles to stop idiots using hand held phones.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 22:58   #15
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortword View Post
No. quite the opposite. If say you know your 'cheap night rate' runs from 23:00 till 07:00 you'd obviously want to car to charge in this window. As it turns out, when you plug it in it charges. There is no 'charge timer' which sucks. So i have to creep out to the car at midnight and plug it in lol
Ah, got it thanks!

Do you plug into the mains? Is there a timer device you can use, socket side? Or even get one of those smart sockets which you can turn on or off from your phone - saves you stepping out each night
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 23:21   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Had this on my Ford about 20 years ago as I think they had the patent and have only just released it for other car makers. I really missed it when I started buying Mercedes. I found it very good with frosted windscreen and as a demister and you do not notice the little wires unless you keep looking for them from my experience.
Have not included it in my build as I want the HUD. Gone for the auxiliary heater instead.
Its nothing to do with Ford , Triplex electrically heated screens have been around since the 1960's :-) they first appeared in their current form in the rear screens of certain Rovers in the late 50's/early 60's and in front screens shortly after . Back then they were a boon , but not strictly necessary in a modern ( or old ! ) volvo which produce warm air within 30 seconds of start up in cold conditions due to their built in ceramic electric heating elements in the heater and large coolant flow through the heater radiator .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triplex Electrically Heated Windscreen.jpg (176.7 KB, 15 views)