Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Choice for 123GT

Views : 1756

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 15:21   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

1800 4.5" wheels #668280 are lighter than the 4.5" Estate wheels #670451 so the 1800 ones are a better choice if you can find them.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 15:33   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I have been running 195/65-15's on 4J wheels for nearly 30 years set at 30PSI wear is even. They are tight to get on but do go. 4.5J is a better fit for them. You could otherwise use the 185/65-15 but they are slightly low geared
This is very interesting. I have just acquired a spare set of steel wheels for my 1963 Amazon - I'm not sure whether they are 4J or 4.5J yet (not collected). I'm thinking of uses for the wheels, one of which is to fit something different to the 165/80R15 tyres I have mounted on the motor car at the moment. I wonder if 185/65 might make some good summer tyres, and keep the taller and skinnier 165/80 section on the original wheels for the winter.

If you had a moment would you post a photo of your 4J wheels with the wider tyres fitted? It would be nice to see the effect.

Alan
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 17:59   #13
simonvolvo

My previous set (on 4J wheels) were 195/65’s. Here are some pics I took at the time.

I had no issues with them, other than the optics: I don’t like the look of those fat tyres on a car of that era.

I recently changed to 165R15’s – not always available here, and more expensive because of the low sales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021_12 008x.jpg (240.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2021_12 001x.jpg (136.7 KB, 16 views)
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 19:47   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
My previous set (on 4J wheels) were 195/65’s. Here are some pics I took at the time.

I had no issues with them, other than the optics: I don’t like the look of those fat tyres on a car of that era.

I recently changed to 165R15’s – not always available here, and more expensive because of the low sales.
Thank you for that - the photos are really helpful.

It is interesting that you had no problems with the 195/65 tyres on 4J rims, that was exactly what I was looking for. I’m not sure about the aesthetics either, but now I know that not only can it be done, but it works on the motor car as well.

185/65R15 is a very common size in the UK, hence it is widely available and cheap; a set of 4 would cost under £200 fitted. 165R15 is less common and the cost is closer to £300.

Excellent, many thanks.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 8th, 2022 at 19:49.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote