Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Curious case of Oil

Views : 1042

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2015, 16:27   #11
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
960kg, this probably explains why the Vovlo assist guy took half an hour to top the oil up and yes the engine was running at times he was on site nearly an hour. The car was not driven but was deffiently running and warm as I just drove it back from the dealership. I was not stood there peering over his shoulder the whole time though. So I can only assume him being a trained technician and his time on site that he carried out the work correctly.

The engine is the 4cyl D4 VEA, which has no dipstick.
Sadly this is the way of the world!........they all want your money by causing issues that get you by the short and curlies!

My Zafira has no Temperature Guage and the only way to know what the temp. is ...is to go into the computer......but i am driving!...must not use anything distracting from driving!

So when it boils over ...damage done and too late!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 20:01   #12
StanC
'Mature' Member

Just a couple of observations which may or may not be correct . .

1. If oil level was the initial problem, I would have thought that the symptoms would have appeared much earlier than 11,000 miles/8 months. It seems unlikely to me that the oil level was the cause - much more likely to be EGR.

2. The oil level would have to be grossly exceeded for the crankcase to over-pressurise as a result. More likely perhaps that crankcase breather problems, possibly associated with the EGR, are causing overpressurisation and that this is why the oil is blowing out of the filler cap.

Good luck with sorting this out . . .

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 21:09   #13
Marc01

I had the initial report from the garage the car was arranged to be taken to for the EGR to be looked at.

As I said earlier they found no problem with the EGR, but instead found the oil level to be to high, the oil level with the vida tool showed 5.4 they drained off 600ml to bring it down to 4.8 reset the codes tested passed the car back to me. On the drive home the oil level warning came on reporting to low, dash display showed no oil on the gauge.

The garage dealing with the car have reported back that everything is ok.napart from the EGR and cooler which needs replacing.
Obviously I am being difficult and want satisfactory proof that all parts of the engine and exhaust system are fine.

Is there any chance the rear bearing could of been compromised leading to oil in the clutch area?

How can the DPF be checked that it has not been damaged or its life shortend?

What is causing the oil level to rise, and how is this affecting oil qaulity?

After the overfilling I have requested the engine bay be professionally cleaned including under the engine cover, my windscreen and pedestrian air bag area.

And then my car is to be transported not driven to my address.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 21:30   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

You need them to drive it to your address - on a transporter any issues won't show up, until you start driving it again - better they have the issue, not you
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 21:56   #15
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
You need them to drive it to your address - on a transporter any issues won't show up, until you start driving it again - better they have the issue, not you
Yeah I have thought of that, but it 100miles away and the thought of someone flogging my car down the motorway putting miles on it does not sit well.

Don't get me wrong though, my dad is 72 and had a good career all his life, he loves driving though so for some extra cash he now works for Ridgeway delivering cars, in my opinion he is exactly the delivery driver you want, he is cautious and drives with care.

Unfortunately not all are like that an old acquaintance from school does a similar job and he thrashes the nuts out of customer cars.

To be honest if the repair is competent I doubt there will be any problems it has been faultless for the last 8 months. Even with damage it could still drive faultless, I've seen it before when clutches to because oil has got past the rear seal, along with other problems due to lack of oil maintenance, sometimes these things do not rear their head until way past the point of creation.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote