Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No fourth gear on Auto again!

Views : 3869

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 19:49   #11
Solaris

This should help. http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...oblemsSolenoid
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solaris For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:31   #12
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1969in View Post
Many Thanks man,very helpful advice,I will have a go at the job myself once I get the bits.. so now I am also looking for a working solenoid if anyone has a spare one going,still on look out for relay too!
Forget about replacing the solenoid - they only go faulty again further up the line.

Get the blank from IPDUSA, and replace the solenoid with this blank (it is quite simple to fit) and, with the blank fitted, the vehicle still retains it's 'kick-down' facility.

In my opinion having the ability to lock-out the overdrive is not really necessary unless the vehicle is used often for towing purposes.

The lock out facility is really only a 'feel-good' thing and, in all reality, is of very little practical use.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volgrrr For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:55   #13
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgrrr View Post
Forget about replacing the solenoid - they only go faulty again further up the line.

Get the blank from IPDUSA, and replace the solenoid with this blank (it is quite simple to fit) and, with the blank fitted, the vehicle still retains it's 'kick-down' facility.

In my opinion having the ability to lock-out the overdrive is not really necessary unless the vehicle is used often for towing purposes.

The lock out facility is really only a 'feel-good' thing and, in all reality, is of very little practical use.
yes I agree , I have no use for that switch,never heard of IPDUSA guess its an American company? I will have a look round the web to see if I can get the blank from the UK, anyone know if you can?
rob1969in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:09   #14
zogglez

I would try a relay first, or even another button on the gearshift, I had simillar thing happen to me, it was a switch and an old grumpy relay. Should be a 5 pin relay living just below the centre air vent, on the right. The switch, is awkward to remove, a screwdriver and gentle prising!

You really do loose a lot of speed without that 4th gear!
zogglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:25   #15
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogglez View Post
I would try a relay first, or even another button on the gearshift, I had simillar thing happen to me, it was a switch and an old grumpy relay. Should be a 5 pin relay living just below the centre air vent, on the right. The switch, is awkward to remove, a screwdriver and gentle prising!

You wouldn`t lose 4th gear, you get it back surely? I have lost 4th now because of this problem as the solenoid or relay problem is making the car a 3 gear car..I have had the relay out as stated above and could find no craked solder etc . By the way the relay I was looking at was behind the glove box, that is the right place on a 240 1991 for the overdrive relay I take it??

Just been on IPDUSA and the part is nice and cheap $35 but the postage to UK is a disgusting $60 so I am going to have to try another way or maybe someone knows somewhere in UK you can buy that blank?

Last edited by rob1969in; Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:30.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:41   #16
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1969in View Post
You wouldn`t lose 4th gear, you get it back surely? I have lost 4th now because of this problem as the solenoid or relay problem is making the car a 3 gear car..I have had the relay out as stated above and could find no craked solder etc . By the way the relay I was looking at was behind the glove box, that is the right place on a 240 1991 for the overdrive relay I take it??

Just been on IPDUSA and the part is nice and cheap $35 but the postage to UK is a disgusting $60 so I am going to have to try another way or maybe someone knows somewhere in UK you can buy that blank?
Yeah, I found the postage a bit over the top (about $28 AUS), however I think I'll soon get it back from anticipated improved economy (it must surely beat driving around in third gear all the time).

The other alternative is to remove the solenoid and modify it so that it does the same thing as the IPDUSA blank. Solaris has provided a good link on this thread that explains in great detail how this can be done.

Good luck!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:46   #17
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:

First of all, you don't lose any speed (unless you're talking about near flat out speed) because the engine just revs faster for the same road speed in 3rd gear.

However, with the blank in place - you don't even lose 4th gear. It simply works as a normal automatic 4 speed automatic gearbox and the only thing lost is the ability to lock out 4th gear (i.e. lock out the overdrive).
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:26   #18
rob1969in

Quote:

The relay I have looked at it behind the glove compartment and has 6 pins and is larger than one a kindly forum member(jjam) sent me, am I looking at the wrong one??

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:26   #19
PTJS
Master Member

Hi Rob

This looks exactly like the fuel pump relay on my 1988 240GL which is also located behind the glove box but is green in colour. The Volvo part number on mine is 898326 1 348 600. 12V/16A. You could make enquiries of the main Volvo agents to confirm the location and part number of the relay you are seeking. Mine are quite helpful but best to call in to their parts section and speak to someone face to face if you can.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited by PTJS; Jun 22nd, 2009 at 20:28. Reason: Further information
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PTJS For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 21:09   #20
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJS View Post
Hi Rob

This looks exactly like the fuel pump relay on my 1988 240GL which is also located behind the glove box but is green in colour. The Volvo part number on mine is 898326 1 348 600. 12V/16A. You could make enquiries of the main Volvo agents to confirm the location and part number of the relay you are seeking. Mine are quite helpful but best to call in to their parts section and speak to someone face to face if you can.

Good luck

Phil
I dont understand this at all , I have just taken the relay out again and the part number on it is that of the fuel pump relay,but I am taking the relay from the supposed position of the overdrive relay??
I have a Vadis Volvo disc that I bought off ebay and it says the relay for the overdrive is where I am getting the relay from..its doing my head right in!! I cant think of anywhere else I should be looking,unless they used the same relay for the fuel pump as the overdrive??