Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

convert my xc90 to 2wd?

Views : 6266

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 22:33   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

you really need to inform your insurers as vital safety systems are disabled and it is not as made by volvo . This car is built with roll stability control and DSTC and ABS none of which will work . so implications and your responsibilities in any accident ( which will be more likely to happen now ) dont bear thinking about ..
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 10:20   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you really need to inform your insurers as vital safety systems are disabled and it is not as made by volvo . This car is built with roll stability control and DSTC and ABS none of which will work . so implications and your responsibilities in any accident ( which will be more likely to happen now ) dont bear thinking about ..

Insurers, if not fully informed and in agreement, WILL definitely take a hike if you have an accident, especially if it is your fault.
Bearing in mind that they will try to squirm out of their obligation on even the most tenuous points then your totally unauthorised ( as far as Volvo are concerned ) modification will be a heaven sent opportunity to say "Null and Void"!
It could end up costing you far more than a full legitimate repair bill if you are sued by an injured party.
Lastly, how are you going to get this through an MOT with the anti skid message evident?
Rather you than me!

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:23   #13
spokoluzik
Trader

have to tell insurers about this for sure. have abs, but nothing else working(dstc=abs+tracs+anty skid).
but i think is cheaper to buy used parts and fix that than pay extra for insurance.
by the way who charged you 700 for parts removal??
for that money you could buy most of parts....(used but in fully working order)

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:43   #14
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90fubar View Post
Just to close the loop on this one - I have now had the car converted to 2wd - have removed the propshaft, the haldex, the diff and the half shafts.

Runs fine, in fact (as you would expect due to less transmission drag) it is more sprightly and is using less fuel.

Traction/stability wise, I can notice little difference - maybe a little chirp from the front wheels as the torque comes in when turning out of a junction but other than that all is as normal. Can't see it performing as well on the next ski trip but I have a set of chains for the front wheels anyway.

One minor flaw - can't trick the computer so I always get an 'anti skid service required' warning on start up. Anyone think of a solution to this?

Total cost just shy of £700 for labour.

Cheers,

Fubar
That has got to be better than forking out 30k on a new one. You have a car with another 100k mile there and still of value.

Well done
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 18:07   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsud View Post
That has got to be better than forking out 30k on a new one. You have a car with another 100k mile there and still of value.

Well done
Well done?

He turned off the Haldax and siezed the diff running it without oil.

I just hope he's used a proper kit for the conversion, but it sounds like he hasn't as he has a warning message permantly on. In an accident his insurance will almost certainly be null and void.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 20:39   #16
xc90fubar

There's no 'kit' involved - it's simply removal of mechanical items.

The ABS is certainly working, I have tried it. The stability control possibly is not, and the collective views on informing insurers are probably correct and I admit it's something I hadn't thought of - I will contact them.

On balance though, I can't see how the car is that far removed from the 2wd version they make in the States - it hasn't suddenly become some top heavy out of control death trap overnight..! I have driven it fairly hard in both it's previous 4wd state and also since it was made 2wd and I can't say I notice any difference other than as mentioned, pulling out of junctions.

I did get a value from WBAC and it was for £11K. The cost to repair the car to manufacture spec for me to be able to sell it was £7K. In effect I would have got £4K back for an otherwise immaculate 1 owner full volvo history car...!

For £700 conversion cost I have now a 100,000 mile non 4x4 big estate car, albeit as you guys point out some issues still to be resolved. I am in contact with some breakers and if I find the parts required to put it back to it's original spec at reasonable cost I may well do so - certainly before I need the car next Winter for the annual ski trip. Now the car is back on the road I will probably keep it and run it into the ground.

And yes Roy, you are right I have learned a major lesson as regards the oil leak, but if you read my original post pulling the Haldex fuse was done on main dealer advice..!

Going on the information supplied by the garage that carried out the conversion, it's not the first time an XC90 has been converted to 2wd in view of cost prohibitive/uneconomical repair to the 4wd system. In fact they are considering whether putting the 2wd USA spec map onto the ecu would restore the stability systems as the car would no longer be looking for the 4wd unit. It's not as if Volvo don't themselves market a 2wd system mainly in the States and knowing how litigious the Americans are Volvo must consider that 2wd is sufficiently safe in that application.

Cheers,

Fubar
xc90fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 20:53   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I wasn't passing comment on your following the dealers advice Fubar. Just the congratulations on the result.

Changing the software was more the kind of thing I had in mind. I know USA XC90's have been converted but they have a kit marketed there for doing it. I assume it involves the software and sealing the exposed parts caused by removing the components.

As you say Volvo sell a FWD only XC90 there anyway so it is possible to have without it being regarded as unsafe. It must reduce the cornering ability at speed though, but one always has to drive within the limits of the vehicles capablities anyway. An AWD XC90 without AWD seems to have poorer traction than an FWD XC90 as far as I can make out so it must be down to the software I think.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:20   #18
Volvophile
Premier Member

They now sell a FWD XC90 in Europe badged as the D3. It is essentially a regular D5 without a Haldex system I think.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:19   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90fubar View Post
The ABS is certainly working, I have tried it. The stability control possibly is not, and the collective views on informing insurers are probably correct and I admit it's something I hadn't thought of - I will contact them.

On balance though, I can't see how the car is that far removed from the 2wd version they make in the States - it hasn't suddenly become some top heavy out of control death trap .

It's not as if Volvo don't themselves market a 2wd system mainly in the States and knowing how litigious the Americans are Volvo must consider that 2wd is sufficiently safe in that application.Cheers,Fubar
Hi, not for one second am i suggesting that you have turned the car into a deathtrap, indeed i can wholeheartedly see your point and agree with what you have done especially as a 2wd version is available from the factory.

My point is that your car left the factory as a 4x4 and YOU have modified it from standard in a major way.
Unless informed and in agreement, your insurers will take any opportunity of ducking a claim if they have even the slightest chance of getting away with it leaving you in a potentially life ruining financial situation if serious injury to another party were involved.

Regards Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Mar 14th, 2011 at 09:24.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 18:29   #20
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Well done?

He turned off the Haldax and siezed the diff running it without oil.

I just hope he's used a proper kit for the conversion, but it sounds like he hasn't as he has a warning message permantly on. In an accident his insurance will almost certainly be null and void.

Yes I agree Roy, I also hope all the repairs are safe and insurance agreed.

Cheers Bri.
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote